Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions I drove a 330i loaner for two weeks - Here's what I think about it

08-23-2019, 02:14 AM   #1
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I drove a 330i loaner for two weeks - Here's what I think about it

Rarely is a few days enough to really get to know a car. First impressions need to wear out especially if given one as a loaner as opposed to spending your own hard earned cash to own one. This was a good opportunity to judge the G20 without confirmation bias getting in the way.

Background: I've owned 2 F30's (328i, 340i) and 2 F80's (M3, M3 CS). My current commuter is an i3, the role which this 330i fulfilled in its place. I have an M3 CS as a weekend/track car.

First impression: The car is slow, I don't like the digital cluster, the buttons all feel a little more cheap than the F30/F80 and I have doubts about the ZF8.

Lasting impression after 2 weeks:

"The car is slow" - well, it's NOT slow. The low end is peppy, and the handling seems to be improved. I took the liberty of going up Mulholland Drive on the way home from work and I find that the 330i is much more fun to drive than my former 328i. With DSC in dynamic it allowed for a bit more slip and slip=fun. I was able to oversteer with predictability with the nannies being overly intrusive. Predicably, the high end is not on par with the 340i and not even in the same universe as the F80, but that is to be expected. The car is more than capable of overtaking and spirited driving. I was thisclose to taking the 330i to the autocross I attended instead of the M3 CS just to see how it would really handle... but I don't think BMW would have appreciated it.

"I don't like the digital cluster" - I still don't. I think the M340 and the M5C have a much better display and even those aren't mind lovingly spectacular. I'm not sure why something software related like graphics has to be downgraded for this model. Dynamic and attractive interfaces should be standard, not a luxury. This is still a BMW after all.

"The buttons feel a little more cheap" - Unchanged. All the buttons on the center console have been flattened in what is probably a cost cutting measure. I miss the old raised individual buttons on the F30/F80. The new flat center console required to have to look down to see what button I was pressing. I thought this problem would disappear once I drove the car for awhile, but it didn't. The single piece 8 memory buttons was especially cheap feeling. This is not what I expect from a $40k+ bimmer.

"I have doubts about the ZF8" - this is much improved over the F30. Shifts were crisp. I liked the auto brake feature that made it feel almost like the DCT in the F80. I prefer this ZF8 over the F30's, but the DCT is still the superior transmission. I never liked how BMW configured going from auto to manual. In fact, tapping to the right in the DCT placed it in manual while in the ZF8 it is tapping to the left. Somewhat confusing especially since I was still driving my F80 on the weekends. I also don't like how the ZF8 goes back into automatic mode when you don't shift. In the DCT it automatically goes into manual mode when you shift manually and it stays there. Also, I find the park button in an awkward position on the bottom of the shifter. And please for the love of god why can't it remember that I want autostart off!!!

Quibbles:

-The door compartment cupholder hits my leg. This is because they eliminated the door pull.
-Why did they eliminate the door pull? Closing the door is slightly more awkward now because the new door pull is so low.
-Ambient lighting should be standard. Let's get with the times.
-The 12V socket under the glove box is gone. Now I have to look at this ugly wire for my phone. No, I don't want to use wireless charging because it's slow and I need to see my phone even when using apple carplay. Waze displays the turn by turn on the phone and the map on the idrive. It's perfect so long as I can see my phone.
-The iDrive screen is slightly too low. I liked how high it was on the F30 because it was easy to keep an eye on the road while using.
-Active Sound Design was too aggressive and I knew it was fake so it wasn't very satisfying. Just give it a decent engine note and pipe it in, bmw. Lose ASD. Please.
-Seats aren't bolstered enough. Maybe I'm too used to the F80, but I find bolstered seats more comfortable. I also find the i3 seats to be more comfortable but I'm not sure why because there is no bolstering at all on the i3. I think it's the way the seatback is contoured on the 330i.

More good things:

I have a lot of quibbles because there wasn't anything huge to complain about. The car served me well. I could see myself driving it to work happily. It didn't have adaptive cruise, which is a must for me, so I would option it if I were in the market to get a G20. I'd get seats with adjustable lumbar, and ambient lighting to make the driving experience much nicer.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82

Last edited by jmg; 08-23-2019 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 4
Fuller1216.50
Poochie9104.50
Seaford1147.50
      08-23-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

I'm assuming you had the non m-sport 330i RWD. Agree with your driving assessment-even the base model handles really well and I'm happy with it as my daily driver. When pushed hard it doesn't get skittish and is perfectly capable and loads of fun.

For everyday use, it's really quick to me. Even merging on the highway, before i can even blink, I'm up to 85-90mph.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
I'm assuming you had the non m-sport 330i RWD. Agree with your driving assessment-even the base model handles really well and I'm happy with it as my daily driver. When pushed hard it doesn't get skittish and is perfectly capable and loads of fun.

For everyday use, it's really quick to me. Even merging on the highway, before i can even blink, I'm up to 85-90mph.
Yes, non M-Sport. I don't think the 330i needs M Sport honestly. My old F30 328i was non-M Sport and I liked the cleanliness of it.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Nice review, I liked the way you talked about how you found if your first impressions changed/didn't change over time.

Would love to hear your perspective on the new G80 when it comes out.
      08-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Nice review. I just dropped off my ///M4 for a recall repair and was given the G-Series 330i loaner. I'll chime in after my 2 day stint in the car, but one thing that is automatically annoying is the single USB port by the cup holders is only accessible with the lid/cover up.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

I drove a 330i loaner for two weeks - Here's what I think about it

Nice review. I just dropped off my ///M4 for a recall repair and was given the G-Series 330i loaner. I'll chime in after my 2 day stint in the car, but one thing that is automatically annoying is the single USB port by the cup holders is only accessible with the lid/cover up. I do like the seats though.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Nice review. I just dropped off my ///M4 for a recall repair and was given the G-Series 330i loaner. I'll chime in after my 2 day stint in the car, but one thing that is automatically annoying is the single USB port by the cup holders is only accessible with the lid/cover up. I do like the seats though.
I hated that too. After awhile I just closed the lid, it's got enough gap to allow the cord to fish through the side. Not the best look, but better. I'd still rather they kept the 12V under the glove box. It was perfect.

Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25113.50
      08-29-2019, 01:59 AM   #8
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Ok, I hate the rear view mirror too. The auto-dimming feature doesn't dim the whole mirror, and it leaves a 1/4" non-dimmed outline. It's distracting....

....like wearing a pair of shoes that are a size too big.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 02:14 AM   #9
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Ok, I hate the rear view mirror too. The auto-dimming feature doesn't dim the whole mirror, and it leaves a 1/4" non-dimmed outline. It's distracting....

Same thing on the driver side mirror. Hate this as well. And if you see something crossing over the outline on the mirror, the image looks terrible.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 02:29 AM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:

Same thing on the driver side mirror. Hate this as well. And if you see something crossing over the outline on the mirror, the image looks terrible.
Yes, I noticed this as well. Annoying!!!! I am still trying to like the Live Dash. I really like the beautiful nav screen size/resolution.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 03:10 AM   #11
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

I figured it was a way for the driver to see things that might be too dark in the non-dimmed border? Or is it cheapening out by BMW?

Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 03:17 AM   #12
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:

I figured it was a way for the driver to see things that might be too dark in the non-dimmed border? Or is it cheapening out by BMW?
Definitely a cheapening or some sort of aesthetic styling cue. There's nothing gained from that little non-dimmed border.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 06:08 AM   #13
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

No, it's not for safety reason; they seem to have a new technology or manufacture that now has a noticeable boarder. I noticed that it's way more aggressive in dimming, than the F-series mirrors.

The exclusion of the dimming mirror on the passenger side, now, that I believe is for safety reasons; those where outright dangerous, at night.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 07:57 AM   #14
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

No, it's not for safety reason; they seem to have a new technology or manufacture that now has a noticeable boarder. I noticed that it's way more aggressive in dimming, than the F-series mirrors.

The exclusion of the dimming mirror on the passenger side, now, that I believe is for safety reasons; those where outright dangerous, at night.
Why do you feel that they were dangerous? In all of the years that I've owned BMW's with passenger side mirrors that dimmed, never once have I had an issue or thought to myself, "That dimming passenger side mirror is/was a bad idea and/or is a safety hazard." If a passenger side mirror that dims is a safety hazard, so is a driver side mirror that dims.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #15
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why do you feel that they were dangerous? In all of the years that I've owned BMW's with passenger side mirrors that dimmed, never once have I had an issue or thought to myself, "That dimming passenger side mirror is/was a bad idea and/or is a safety hazard." If a passenger side mirror that dims is a safety hazard, so is a driver side mirror that dims.
The whole "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" thing and America being such a litigious country might have something to do with it.

I, personally, found it difficult, at times, viewing or averaging the distance of a vehicle, from the driver's seat, when the side mirror dims, as oppose to it being a natural reflection. I'm sure I'm not the only one, as it's a common complaint online about auto-dimming mirrors.

I first assumed it was a cost-cutting measure, until I sat in my friend's new, fully-equipped S550 and noticed Mercedes also eliminated the passenger-side dimming also, which is one of their flagship cars.

So there must be some rhyme behind the reasoning for eliminating passenger side-dimming mirrors beside trying to save a buck, as all auto manufacture operator under the same path of liability.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #16
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
It makes sense for safety: You might not notice a car with high beams behind, if the whole mirror is blacked out. With the border excluded, you would notice the car with the high beams as the border will shine, but when you look at your mirror you can still see it in the dark area.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 08:26 AM   #17
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Quote:
It makes sense for safety: You might not notice a car with high beams behind, if the whole mirror is blacked out. With the border excluded, you would notice the car with the high beams as the border will shine, but when you look at your mirror you can still see it in the dark area.
Well, I can't prove otherwise but personally don't find the natural boarder very useful :
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 12:20 PM   #18
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, I can't prove otherwise but personally don't find the natural boarder very useful :
This!

Also, the mirrors aren't so dim that I can't see what's going on. Comments like that remind me of the thread started by the member who complained about not being able to see the right-side curb from the driver's seat.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #19
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This!

Also, the mirrors aren't so dim that I can't see what's going on. Comments like that remind me of the thread started by the member who complained about not being able to see the right-side curb from the driver's seat.

P.S. Not having a CD slot sucks too. I'm one of those guys who still listens to CD's (...or at least rips them into the internal hard drive).
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 01:51 PM   #20
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

I may be the only one to notice this, but can someone explain why the image on the driver side mirror appears a bit odd? feels like the mirror may be bent in some sort of a way? The passenger side one looks fine.

I thought it was just the car I test drove the first time, but when I test drove another on.... same thing...

And no... it is not me. The design of the driver mirror definitely has something odd shaped about it compared to passenger one.

My Lexus IS looks fine as well. Its only the driver mirror on this car. Has anyone else noticed? If not maybe go and look today.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 06:11 PM   #21
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This!

P.S. Not having a CD slot sucks too. I'm one of those guys who still listens to CD's (...or at least rips them into the internal hard drive).
You make me sound like such a noob that have no idea how auto-dimmers works. I'm on my 4th BMW with this feature; I was speaking from experience, with myself and other who have driven my vehicles and commented on the lack of visibility.

Yes, for the most part, at night, you can still see most objects from the side mirror; It's not obvious how aggressive it dims, unless you have a car with its bright headlights right behind you. It's not the end of the world, I just brush it off as one of those compromises but I was merely pointing that this might be the reason all manufactures have eliminated dimming from the passenger side mirror, on all North American-bound vehicles.

Inferring how they dropped it from even their most top-tier vehicle's, I assumed it was for visibility reasons and liability but that's just an assumption. If you have a better reason, shoot.

Also, enjoy your CDs while you still can; my stepdad purchased a new Acura RDX recently and almost cried that it didn't have a CD player to blast his Streisand albums anymore.. Until I introduced him to a music steaming APP.

It sometimes takes only one incident before someone change the rules or begin erring on the side of safety, for instance:

https://www.kidsandcars.org/2018/05/...-in-every-car/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-30-2019, 09:37 AM   #22
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
I believe bmw also dropped for European vehicles as well..