Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Needing rear brakes at 13k miles?

11-30-2022, 09:03 PM   #23
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
First rear pad change at 28000 km. 20,000 km later they are now at 4 mm again. Replaced them. At this rate I will have to replace brakes every 18 months at $1200 aud. I have the dealer the service bulletin for Bmw Australia. They rejected it saying Australian cars do not have this problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 03:31 AM   #24
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Can some one check something for me please. While driving on a highway, take the foot off the accelerator, do not press the brakes. Please see whether the car automatically starts applying regenerative braking while cruising? You can check that on your digital instrument panel (toggle via BC until you see the fuel economy display). Mine clearly shows regenerative braking (blue line indicating battery charging) not sure if this is intentional or proof of residual braking. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 08:32 AM   #25
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
Can some one check something for me please. While driving on a highway, take the foot off the accelerator, do not press the brakes. Please see whether the car automatically starts applying regenerative braking while cruising? You can check that on your digital instrument panel (toggle via BC until you see the fuel economy display). Mine clearly shows regenerative braking (blue line indicating battery charging) not sure if this is intentional or proof of residual braking. Thanks
What's your thinking, energy recuperation is triggering brake wear?

You don't need the brakes to harvest energy to the battery, it is triggered by foot off the throttle, on the over-run. Been this way since Efficient Dynamics features were introduced. From my own vehicle, and watching the voltage real-time, that can also increase, showing there is a charge on the over-run. No braking required.

The rapid rear brake wear rate, according to the TSB, is a build tolerance issue. Is a mechanical problem. Interprets as extra pad resistance, not freeing off the rear service brakes. The extra drag, equals a rapid pad wear rate.
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      12-05-2022, 05:14 PM   #26
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
What's your thinking, energy recuperation is triggering brake wear?

You don't need the brakes to harvest energy to the battery, it is triggered by foot off the throttle, on the over-run. Been this way since Efficient Dynamics features were introduced. From my own vehicle, and watching the voltage real-time, that can also increase, showing there is a charge on the over-run. No braking required.

The rapid rear brake wear rate, according to the TSB, is a build tolerance issue. Is a mechanical problem. Interprets as extra pad resistance, not freeing off the rear service brakes. The extra drag, equals a rapid pad wear rate.
Thanks. Bmw Australia's refuse to acknowledge this issue. They simply point to "driving style"
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2022, 04:50 AM   #27
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
I've now booked a paid service with a dealer to examine rear calipers , specifically the tolerances mentioned in the SIB. I'm not holding my breath but it's the last straw really.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 05:36 AM   #28
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
How many miles should rear brakes ( standard not brembo) last if mostly driven on winding roads? Fast but safe driving not track stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 06:11 AM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
How many miles should rear brakes ( standard not brembo) last if mostly driven on winding roads? Fast but safe driving not track stuff.
That's a hard one to quantify. A lot will depend on whether there is need for DSC brake intervention.

Hope you get a few examples of similar use.
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      01-16-2023, 06:18 AM   #30
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
That's a hard one to quantify. A lot will depend on whether there is need for DSC brake intervention.

Hope you get a few examples of similar use.
I’m having to replace my rear brakes every 25k km. It’s either the reported defect with the brakes calipers (there is an SIB) or it’s the dsc kicking in. Hopefully will get some examples from people who live in the hills. By the way is there some indication when dsc kicks in? Is there an audible sound from the wheel where it kicks in?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 06:44 AM   #31
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I’m having to replace my rear brakes every 25k km. It’s either the reported defect with the brakes calipers (there is an SIB) or it’s the dsc kicking in. Hopefully will get some examples from people who live in the hills. By the way is there some indication when dsc kicks in? Is there an audible sound from the wheel where it kicks in?
I do suspect you have the reported defect, 25k km is not normal, unless you really are working the chassis very hard indeed.

No, you don't know when the DSC is intervening. The only way to possibly detect, intervention is drive the same road with and without DTC engaged. You may sense a slight change in chassis balance between full DSC control and using DTC. DTC feeling a bit more agile.
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      01-25-2023, 04:03 PM   #32
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Not getting much traction from BMW in addressing my break wear issue. Is it safe to replace the rear brakes calipers through a third party mechanic instead of a bmw dealer?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 01:50 PM   #33
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Is it safe to replace brakes and rotors through a third party mechanic (not via the dealer)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 03:55 AM   #34
Iceward
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320i

Strange coincidence.. or not perhaps.

Hi, just joined the forum.

I have a 1 year old 320i Msport and oddly enough my rear pads are gone. Had the service warning and dealer confirms that pads are down to 1mm.

Car has done 13k miles.

Should I just pay or push for a warranty replacement.

Thanks
Appreciate 0