Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications I think I might be the unluckiest guy ever.

08-26-2022, 03:26 AM   #1
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

I think I might be the unluckiest guy ever.

I noticed some serious turbo lag last week and decided to take off my JB4 to see if it was the problem. Lo and behold, taking it off "solved" my problem. At least for a day.

The next day, the issue seemed to have come back, but after that, it's gone now? It's been consistently gone for the past 2 or 3 days so that's a plus.

However, now the car acts wonky with the battery. When disconnecting the battery in the back of the trunk, sometimes, the power just decides to not shut off. Learning that there is also a Lithium Ion battery up in the engine bay, I go to disconnect the cable, only to find that it didn't shut off the power. I plugged the cable back and in resignation, left the car alone for a while.

Later, when I went back to check on the car, the power was cut. Finally! I can plug in the JB4 again after a couple of days to see if it was really the problem! And disaster strikes, again. The negative terminal bolt just strips and now freely turns with the nut that is supposed to be torqued into. I can't loosen or tighten my negative terminal anymore, and it just kind of freely sits around the metal peg.

I "secured" the negative terminal by wrapping it in masking tape so that I could go on one quick loop around the block (on Map 1). Surprise surprise, turbo lag seems to be back but soon disappears. As I get back and getting ready to park the car, I decide to check my JB4 to see if any codes are popping up, and of course they are. Instead of the usual two, there are two new ones, related to the battery (see my other thread(s)). At this point, I've had enough and just park the car in the garage and disconnect the battery and will not be reconnecting it until I can get that new negative terminal thing.

All at the same time, I've got people telling me that it could be the JB4 that is faulty, or that the JB4 caused issues with the engine/turbo and damaged them, or this and that. I don't even know what to believe at this point. I've been logging A LOT with my JB4 since I got it because I'm that type of person who likes to keep tabs on everything at all times. I've been talking a lot with Terry from BMS and sending him logs and getting responses that tell me that the logs look good. Trying out map 3, 4, and 5 was AMAZING, especially when the logs turned out to be okay. I even logged the turbo lag issue I had and sent it over, but apparently, it looks normal on their end. I'm cursing myself for not even being able to read these JB4 logs. I'm cursing myself for looking over that turbo lag incident with my car when it still had around 2000 miles, blaming it on the heat and other variables instead of taking it to the dealer. I'm cursing myself for looking over the fact that there was always some turbo lag after filling up on my E25 mix (91 and E85) just because it would disappear the next day.

Now that the dealer can detect JB4, I can kiss a warranty covered repair (if necessary) goodbye forever. I knew it was pay to play, but I didn't expect my run to be over so quick. Who even fucking knows if I've learned a lesson from this? I don't even know about what sort of problems my car could be facing because I'm not a mechanic; I'm just like everyone else, who wants to get the most out of their "Ultimate Driving Machine" and finds joy in learning new things. I can tell you one thing right now; I'm not learning shit right now and just feel awful.

Sorry for this lengthy post, just needed to vent. I hate everything right now.
Appreciate 1