Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Lady Sideswipes me and then Drives Off

03-30-2024, 04:41 PM   #23
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Dash cam is a must. Here is a link to an accident i was involved in back in 2018. Re-watching it now - i realize how bad the video quality is. It's like a 10 year old dash cam i keep moving between cars. Probably time for a new one.
The truck driver kept insisting that he was in the right lane and i snuck in under him. Sent this to his insurance company. 100% not my fault.

Appreciate 1
      03-30-2024, 06:50 PM   #24
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Dash cam is a must. Here is a link to an accident i was involved in back in 2018. Re-watching it now - i realize how bad the video quality is. It's like a 10 year old dash cam i keep moving between cars. Probably time for a new one.
The truck driver kept insisting that he was in the right lane and i snuck in under him. Sent this to his insurance company. 100% not my fault.
I think not-at-fault in CA just means less than 50% at fault, so even 49.9% at fault is still not at-fault.

The scenario in your clip does happen on and off along my shuttle commute to SF.

Since I have seen how the scenario unfolded while inside the shuttle(and I don't think the shuttle is 100% at fault), I leave ample space and/or stop to let the trunks/shuttle buses pass when I drive in my car on the same route.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 03:17 PM   #25
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
I think not-at-fault in CA just means less than 50% at fault, so even 49.9% at fault is still not at-fault.

The scenario in your clip does happen on and off along my shuttle commute to SF.

Since I have seen how the scenario unfolded while inside the shuttle(and I don't think the shuttle is 100% at fault), I leave ample space and/or stop to let the trunks/shuttle buses pass when I drive in my car on the same route.
he had plenty of space, he just did not see me and tried to merge right into me. I did not even see him until he started merging into me. I stopped immediately, but he swipped me with his back tire anyway. Took off mirror, front quarter panel, and small dent in the door skin
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 04:10 PM   #26
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
he had plenty of space, he just did not see me and tried to merge right into me. I did not even see him until he started merging into me. I stopped immediately, but he swipped me with his back tire anyway. Took off mirror, front quarter panel, and small dent in the door skin
This is for sure NYC driving.

@0:15 there was a Toyota SUV weaving into and out of your lane(right-most lane).

@0:22 the truck cut off another car at the middle lane while merging in from the left-most lane.

@0:39 the truck already crossed/cut into your lane(the right-most lane) while another car turned left (from the other direction) and cut into the truck's lane(the middle lane). You didn't stop until 5 seconds later @0:44.

I would think that is a big truck to miss, in your lane, right beside the driver-side door starting around 0:40.

I think that was your horn from @0:44-0:47 but the truck driver ignored it and hit you @0:47.

I probably would have stopped @0:39 and applied the horn starting @0:39, but I likely wouldn't have got anywhere anytime soon in NYC.

Last edited by bavarianride; 03-31-2024 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 06:59 AM   #27
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

FYI, your title is clickbait here and on YT. You state she runs off but you say you exchanged insurance info, so clearly she stopped.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 11:23 AM   #28
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
FYI, your title is clickbait here and on YT. You state she runs off but you say you exchanged insurance info, so clearly she stopped.
The other driver also does not look erratic(assuming under the influence) to turn on left blinker and gradually merge.

Maybe an extra 15-30 seconds of dashcam footage prior to OP's posted clip may be of interest.

Also, in PK's clip in post#23, PK mentioned the other truck had lots of space, but in fact from 0:39 to 0:47, the truck's lane was already occupied by 2 other left-turn cars that cut(NYC style) into his lane, i.e. the truck had zero space. I can't really tell the truck is at 100% fault(likely more than 49.9% fault) given how NYC drivers drive.
Appreciate 1
Dan B302.00
      04-01-2024, 12:33 PM   #29
Stag77
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 M340i XDrive

That sucks that happened to you brother, but what a lifesaver a dashcam can be.

Throwing my two cents in to further cement the importance of having a dashcam. You hope you'll never need it, but it pays for itself 100 times over if you do. And honestly, paying the money for this wouldn't have even been the worst part, but that feeling of someone lying and getting one over on me would've stuck with me forever.

A few months ago someone turned into me from the wrong lane. If you look in the video, there are two turning lanes, and they were claiming that I was in the right lane, and they were in the middle lane. They said I made a wide turn, and they were completely adamant that I was in the right lane. They even went so far as to walk all the way back to the intersection and show me how the middle lane is required to turn into the far lane. The first thing they said to me was "what happened?" LOL! How funny, I was thinking the exact same thing.

I kept telling them that they were wrong and I have the camera to prove it. They kept saying something along the lines of "perfect, you'll see on camera you were in the wrong lane."

They were foreign and spoke broken English, so at one point they had their daughter on the phone, then handed it over for her to talk to me. After they initially said they were not at fault, she tells me they'll offer me $300 to fix the damaged fender (body shop quoted ~$2800 due to damage they found on the headlight). I told them no, of course.

I heard one of them talking on the phone in their language, and they said camera in English, with emphasis. I can only imagine their daughter basically told them to tell me to get bent (as their car had virtually no damage due to contacting my car with their tire), and they said they can't because of the camera.

Fast forward to 30 minutes after the accident, the daughter calls me back and said she wants to come back with her dad to inspect the damage again, because he said "he doesn't think he even hit me." What? Ok... I think this was an attempt to call my bluff on having a camera, as they called back and said to forget it. Not sure what that was about, honestly.

If I didn't have the camera, I don't know how insurance would've wound up ruling the accident. 50/50? Mostly my fault? If you don't have a dashcam, please, do yourself a favor and spend the few bucks to get one.

Last edited by Stag77; 04-01-2024 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 04:21 PM   #30
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag77 View Post

That sucks that happened to you brother, but what a lifesaver a dashcam can be.

Throwing my two cents in to further cement the importance of having a dashcam. You hope you'll never need it, but it pays for itself 100 times over if you do. And honestly, paying the money for this wouldn't have even been the worst part, but that feeling of someone lying and getting one over on me would've stuck with me forever.

A few months ago someone turned into me from the wrong lane. If you look in the video, there are two turning lanes, and they were claiming that I was in the right lane, and they were in the middle lane. They said I made a wide turn, and they were completely adamant that I was in the right lane. They even went so far as to walk all the way back to the intersection and show me how the middle lane is required to turn into the far lane. The first thing they said to me was "what happened?" LOL! How funny, I was thinking the exact same thing.

I kept telling them that they were wrong and I have the camera to prove it. They kept saying something along the lines of "perfect, you'll see on camera you were in the wrong lane."

They were foreign and spoke broken English, so at one point they had their daughter on the phone, then handed it over for her to talk to me. After they initially said they were not at fault, she tells me they'll offer me $300 to fix the damaged fender (body shop quoted ~$2800 due to damage they found on the headlight). I told them no, of course.

I heard one of them talking on the phone in their language, and they said camera in English, with emphasis. I can only imagine their daughter basically told them to tell me to get bent (as their car had virtually no damage due to contacting my car with their tire), and they said they can't because of the camera.

Fast forward to 30 minutes after the accident, the daughter calls me back and said she wants to come back with her dad to inspect the damage again, because he said "he doesn't think he even hit me." What? Ok... I think this was an attempt to call my bluff on having a camera, as they called back and said to forget it. Not sure what that was about, honestly.

If I didn't have the camera, I don't know how insurance would've wound up ruling the accident. 50/50? Mostly my fault? If you don't have a dashcam, please, do yourself a favor and spend the few bucks to get one.
In this incident, the impact@0:21 was from the car behind you in the same right turn lane(the left one of the 2 right turn lanes), instead of someone running a red light, right?

The dashcam is useful in this case because it captured the impact of a car coming from the rear, I have been hit in similar incidents at the rear quads that would have required backward facing/360-degree dashcam.

In the absence of a dashcam video, your defense can be from witnesses. The driver that hit u did swing wide and then turne (right) back into your lane, that driver might have thought that lane could go straight but realized the mistake and tried to yank back right.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 04:52 PM   #31
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is for sure NYC driving.

@0:15 there was a Toyota SUV weaving into and out of your lane(right-most lane).

@0:22 the truck cut off another car at the middle lane while merging in from the left-most lane.

@0:39 the truck already crossed/cut into your lane(the right-most lane) while another car turned left (from the other direction) and cut into the truck's lane(the middle lane). You didn't stop until 5 seconds later @0:44.

I would think that is a big truck to miss, in your lane, right beside the driver-side door starting around 0:40.

I think that was your horn from @0:44-0:47 but the truck driver ignored it and hit you @0:47.

I probably would have stopped @0:39 and applied the horn starting @0:39, but I likely wouldn't have got anywhere anytime soon in NYC.
This was a number of years ago, but i assure you there was no aggressive driving on anyone's part.
Was a very slow moving, stop ang go traffic. I don't believe i saw the truck merge into my lane at :39, although it does appear so on the camera. I was probably more concentrated at the time on making that turn. Two right lanes are supposed to turn into 2 lanes at that intersection, it not super wide but wide enough for a truck.
You noted correctly a car cutting in in front of him from the left, if i saw it (which i don't recall) i probably assumed that he would just slow down to allow that car in, but instead he started merging into me. First i became aware of him is when he passed my side window at an angle which made it obvious he was about to hit me, that when i stopped, blew my horn, but he just did not see me.
I also think it was a novice driver, possibly without a license. When cops came the guy in the red coat said he was driving, but from the way they exited the truck it appeared the other guy might have been driving. Cannot state that for sure though.
I do avoid that intersection ever since. Only drove through there 2x in like 5 years.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2024, 04:58 PM   #32
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The other driver also does not look erratic(assuming under the influence) to turn on left blinker and gradually merge.

Maybe an extra 15-30 seconds of dashcam footage prior to OP's posted clip may be of interest.

Also, in PK's clip in post#23, PK mentioned the other truck had lots of space, but in fact from 0:39 to 0:47, the truck's lane was already occupied by 2 other left-turn cars that cut(NYC style) into his lane, i.e. the truck had zero space. I can't really tell the truck is at 100% fault(likely more than 49.9% fault) given how NYC drivers drive.
The truck was in its own lane, all he had to do was follow the cars that cut in front of him, lane change was not necessary, and was not expected by me. How can i be at any fault for quietly driving in my lane not exceeding 7 mph due to traffic jam?
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2024, 05:03 PM   #33
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
Did you actually read the narrative? She sideswiped him and drove off. Exactly what the title says. If you assumed that meant he never caught her and exchanged information then you are reading into it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 05:36 PM   #34
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The truck was in its own lane, all he had to do was follow the cars that cut in front of him, lane change was not necessary, and was not expected by me. How can i be at any fault for quietly driving in my lane not exceeding 7 mph due to traffic jam?
And insurance did agree with u to be less than 50% at fault, right?

When I saw trucks/shuttles making similar turns, I just stopped and waited for them to clear out of my lane before moving, but my luck can also run out in the next encounter.

And u are right, i do try to avoid such tight spots if at all possible.

Last edited by bavarianride; 04-01-2024 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 08:02 PM   #35
Stag77
Private
Rep

Quote:
In this incident, the impact@0:21 was from the car behind you in the same right turn lane(the left one of the 2 right turn lanes), instead of someone running a red light, right?

The dashcam is useful in this case because it captured the impact of a car coming from the rear, I have been hit in similar incidents at the rear quads that would have required backward facing/360-degree dashcam.

In the absence of a dashcam video, your defense can be from witnesses. The driver that hit u did swing wide and then turne (right) back into your lane, that driver might have thought that lane could go straight but realized the mistake and tried to yank back right.
They were in the straight/left turn lane to my left. Just before the traffic light turns green, you can see illumination from headlights to my left. They didn't run the red light, they just turned from the wrong lane. According to the driver, they thought they were in my lane (they weren't), and that I was in the right lane.

I almost collided with the car to the right of me after the initial impact, which, if I didn't have a dashcam, would've actually been the better outcome for me, as it would prove I was in the middle lane, plus another witness to testify against the other driver.

Sadly, nobody cared to stop, and there were plenty of people at the intersection behind me.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2024, 12:26 AM   #36
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Yeah now I see the car's headlight at the left lane showing up around 0:10-0:11. There was another car's headlight that approached around the same time on your right.

And when the light turned green @0:15, the headlight from the left quickly faded into yours, meaning that car started to turn into your lane quickly. That driver should have been alert and aware enough to see your car on their right.

I do think the municipalities also are somewhat at fault not to paint clear dotted lines to indicate the left/right turn lanes(but even those apparently haven't helped NYC drivers ).

I was surprised the car at the left only contacted yours with their tires, I thought that car would have bumper and/or fender damages too.

To share one of my stories, just this evening heading back home from Costco, I encountered a similar incident. I was in the middle lane of a 3-lane road while at a red light. When the light turned green, the car on my left started to merge into my lane in the middle of the intersection. I have seen this happened before so I was alert, watching cars(if any) on my left and right, and launched slowly and prepared to respond. That road also has a curve through the interaction, with no clearly marked(dotted) lines for the 3 go-straight lines, so that can confuse some inattentive/new-to-the area drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag77 View Post
They were in the straight/left turn lane to my left. Just before the traffic light turns green, you can see illumination from headlights to my left. They didn't run the red light, they just turned from the wrong lane. According to the driver, they thought they were in my lane (they weren't), and that I was in the right lane.

I almost collided with the car to the right of me after the initial impact, which, if I didn't have a dashcam, would've actually been the better outcome for me, as it would prove I was in the middle lane, plus another witness to testify against the other driver.

Sadly, nobody cared to stop, and there were plenty of people at the intersection behind me.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 06:08 AM   #37
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBMW View Post
Did you actually read the narrative? She sideswiped him and drove off. Exactly what the title says. If you assumed that meant he never caught her and exchanged information then you are reading into it.
You won't convince me the title isn't misleading. Maybe not intentionally but still misleading.

It could easily say "lady hits me", the ".. and drives off" implies she left.

If that was not the intent of the op, it could have been stated better.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 11:23 AM   #38
Stag77
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah now I see the car's headlight at the left lane showing up around 0:10-0:11. There was another car's headlight that approached around the same time on your right.

And when the light turned green @0:15, the headlight from the left quickly faded into yours, meaning that car started to turn into your lane quickly. That driver should have been alert and aware enough to see your car on their right.

I do think the municipalities also are somewhat at fault not to paint clear dotted lines to indicate the left/right turn lanes(but even those apparently haven't helped NYC drivers ).

I was surprised the car at the left only contacted yours with their tires, I thought that car would have bumper and/or fender damages too.

To share one of my stories, just this evening heading back home from Costco, I encountered a similar incident. I was in the middle lane of a 3-lane road while at a red light. When the light turned green, the car on my left started to merge into my lane in the middle of the intersection. I have seen this happened before so I was alert, watching cars(if any) on my left and right, and launched slowly and prepared to respond. That road also has a curve through the interaction, with no clearly marked(dotted) lines for the 3 go-straight lines, so that can confuse some inattentive/new-to-the area drivers.
I'm not entirely sure how that happened either, but you can see their car jump in the air as their tire climbs my fender. It looked so much worse in person, too lol. Not only was their car not scratched, but mine wasn't either. There was just a massive dent. My wheel was also undamaged, thankfully.

Ever since that accident I've noticed so many people making a right turn from the left lane. I wish I noticed the trend sooner, then maybe I'd have been able to avoid that accident like you did. Something about that intersection just attracts terrible drivers, and NYC is in no shortage of those.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 12:31 AM   #39
Sandpiper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Look it’s very simple - if your sat in someone’s blind spot and you see them start indicating, it’s sensible to lift off the gas a bit to give them potential space and see if they move out. If they do, no problem they slip in infront of you. If they don’t move then you can make a call, but don’t be surprised if they pull out anyway and be ready to react accordingly.

Or you can just choose to believe this was entirely unavoidable I suppose.
I have to agree 100% on this. Defensive driving can mean any number of things, but the most important one is to stay out of other people's blind spots. I either slow down or speed up to avoid being next to a vehicle. It's has saved me many, many times. One time I was on an on-ramp and the left lane was ending. There was a SUV at my 10 o'clock and I could see their mirror had the blind spot light on. Still they merged into my lane without looking. I honked my horn and slowed down. It's always good to stay out of other people's blind spots when driving over 45mph. Some times it's not possible because there are too many cars around, but when you have enough space just do it.

Second point is to always call the cops when you get into any type of accident. It's best to get proof so that they don't blame it on your and say that you drove off.
Appreciate 0