BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Stone in behind brake caliper

01-24-2021, 02:08 AM   #1
Breathingrate
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d MSport

Stone in behind brake caliper

Hi, so there I was pulling on to the main road from a side street and all of a sudden a loud screeching noise was heared from the offside front wheel.

I pulled over to take a look and concluded a stone has lodged itself behind the disc and brake shield.

So I drove home and called BMW Assist who sent out recovery who said the vehicle would need to go to the dealer to have the caliper and disc removed and refitted.

Has anyone else had the misfortune of having a stone lodged behind the caliper and if so did the dealer charge for its removal.

My car is 7 months old and still in warranty so am expecting a £250 bill.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 07:36 PM   #2
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathingrate View Post
Hi, so there I was pulling on to the main road from a side street and all of a sudden a loud screeching noise was heared from the offside front wheel.

I pulled over to take a look and concluded a stone has lodged itself behind the disc and brake shield.

So I drove home and called BMW Assist who sent out recovery who said the vehicle would need to go to the dealer to have the caliper and disc removed and refitted.

Has anyone else had the misfortune of having a stone lodged behind the caliper and if so did the dealer charge for its removal.

My car is 7 months old and still in warranty so am expecting a £250 bill.
This happened to me in my old F36 and, more recently, in my G20. Both times it fell out on its own while driving. The F36 was quick and easy. The G20 was a PITA.

It was Sunday afternoon, I was far from home, and if I towed it to a dealer I would have to leave it there and call an Uber because they were closed. I decided to make it fall out. I was on an empty rural road and a series of 50 mph hard brake checks did the trick.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 02:03 AM   #3
Breathingrate
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d MSport

Resolved by calling BMW Assist on Monday morning who sent a technician who took the wheel off and discovered a small stone lodged between disc and rear plate. Took all of 10 mins to resolve.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 02:25 PM   #4
sspdw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathingrate View Post
Resolved by calling BMW Assist on Monday morning who sent a technician who took the wheel off and discovered a small stone lodged between disc and rear plate. Took all of 10 mins to resolve.
Msport brakes collects stones like crazy, i had to bend the brakeshields closer to the disc.
Appreciate 1
cyam159.50
      02-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #5
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

I've been able to just reach in between the spokes and tap the shield till a pebble fell out (while parked + vehicle off, obviously).

Cranking the steering wheel all the way to one side may help with reaching around the tire instead if you have the wheels where the spokes are too narrow to get your arm through.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #6
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I had this happen the other night. The funny thing is the same thing happened on my old E46 M3 and 435i. Is this a BMW specific thing?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #7
RedGlossBoss
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i (G21)

I had this twice now on my G21. So far it was easy enough to take the wheel off and removing the stone from between the shield and disk. Road assist just used a screwdriver to reach in, no need to remove the caliper.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 08:27 AM   #8
DawnRacer
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M-Sport

Happened to me twice last year. I recommend recommend going backwards and forwards a bunch of times, that worked both times for me. The noise though! Pedestrians were cowering in fear and agony.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #9
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnRacer View Post
Happened to me twice last year. I recommend recommend going backwards and forwards a bunch of times, that worked both times for me. The noise though! Pedestrians were cowering in fear and agony.
Lol, that sound is terrible and very LOUD! It was an embarrassing few minutes before the rock dislodged itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 04:32 PM   #10
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcs View Post
I had this happen the other night. The funny thing is the same thing happened on my old E46 M3 and 435i. Is this a BMW specific thing?
Apparently it's fairly common. It's to do with lack clearance between the calipers & the alloys so any brand that does similar will suffer from it. Glad to say I've yet to experience it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 05:01 PM   #11
tommytexter
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Happened to me last year. Twice. First time it fell off by itself after a while. Second time, i jacked it up, took off the wheel, then picked the damn stone out of there myself.
      05-24-2022, 01:10 PM   #12
tosswill
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i X-Drive

Sorry to fire up an old thread, but does anyone know if this issue only happens with a 20" rim & sticky tires vs. 19"?

I run Michelin PS4S mounted on 20" rims on my 2020 G20 M340i and almost every time I drive up a gravel/dirt road I have this issue... It has only happened to my front brakes, so I'm wondering if I change my setup to a staggered 19" front with 20" rear with the Michelin PS4S whether that will solve the issue?

Anyone have any experience/advice on how to resolve? I've seen someone mention removing the brake shield, which I'm open to as long as there aren't any knock-on effects... I'm also open to upgrading the brakes to the slotted discs if that's likely to help as well, although I can't imagine it would...

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 07:31 PM   #13
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Had the same thing after some road works - a stone got stuck on the front right between the rotor and the "splash guard". I could not free the stone. Tried going forwards, backwards was stuck in there. Ended up pulling over taking off the wheel and with a screwdriver got the stone out.
This seems like a bad design flaw.
I have the 19" M wheels on my 2020 M340i, M brakes and the 225 tires on front (255 on rear).

Has anyone solved the issue?

Heard someone say they bent the guard closer to the rotor, but not sure if that fixed anything.

Someone mentioned completely removing the guard - but isn't the point of the guard to PREVENT stones/rocks from getting on the rotor/caliper? I guess bending them closer may be the answer. But would love to know if anyway has found a proper fix for this.

I am concerned because soon I am going our to the country and will invariably have to travel some short distances on gravel roads.

Last edited by cyam; 02-05-2023 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0