Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Charging Tray Overheats Phone

02-01-2021, 07:14 AM   #23
Mdog97
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

This is my first BMW with the charging tray, and I too experienced the "hot phone" with my new iPhone 12 Pro from the beginning. I can't imagine it's good for the phone to get that hot. I didn't notice the light going to orange, but probably wasn't checking.

I tried to like it (and CarPlay, which I use and prefer in the Mercedes), but have since broken down and gone back to my "old" system - mount the phone near the 3 o'clock position of the steering wheel, turn on Waze, connect lightning to USB power cable, and use iDrive instead of CarPlay.

The Scosche magnetic mount I got for this car (quite inexpensive) adheres just at the left edge of the center display but doesn't obscure anything, while the metal plate (to which the magnets grip) fits in the TPU phone protection case at the bottom, and it all works well.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 09:09 AM   #24
rcz22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 6MT

Its been really frustrating for me as well - makes carplay unusable after any drive lasting longer than 20-30mins. I started using the usb-c plug under the armrest but its not clean looking and I really liked having the phone tucked away.

I did some light searching but couldn't find anything is there a setting to turn off wireless charging, so we can just use the tray?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #25
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcz22 View Post
Its been really frustrating for me as well - makes carplay unusable after any drive lasting longer than 20-30mins. I started using the usb-c plug under the armrest but its not clean looking and I really liked having the phone tucked away.

I did some light searching but couldn't find anything is there a setting to turn off wireless charging, so we can just use the tray?
Yes, there is a setting, I can't tell you where cause not close to car, but there is 100% one, just check around.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 03:36 PM   #26
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 -> G20

Quote:

There is a setting under Car Settings, just uncheck the Wireless charging, then it will disable the wireless charging.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 08:32 PM   #27
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer006 View Post
Quote:

There is a setting under Car Settings, just uncheck the Wireless charging, then it will disable the wireless charging.
The option to turn off is not there in my vehicle. Running software 7/2020.54 and is a Mar 19 built Australian delivered car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 02:55 AM   #28
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

It was in another menu, once I get to my car either later today or tomorrow I'll have a look.
Btw an option to not have your phone charged is to pull it to the front or back of the tray or just to put it screen down, I simply put it screen down once it starts overheating.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      02-02-2021, 09:49 AM   #29
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
The option to turn off is not there in my vehicle. Running software 7/2020.54 and is a Mar 19 built Australian delivered car.
mmm but I have seen one. I'll check later in the day and get back to you the correct menu option.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #30
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Actually you were right, even I don't see the option to disable the wireless charging in the car settings. I can see only the notification reminder option. But I thought I have seen the option to enable/disable the wireless charging in some option. If I come across again, i'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 1
achk132.50
      02-15-2021, 09:21 PM   #31
Rux
Captain
Rep
Drives: Little of this, little of that

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Inductive charging with the Qi standard creates heat due to inefficiency. Using the maglock charger, the connection area gets even hotter. However, in the case of the iPhone, if it were to overheat, it would shut down. I can get into my car and putting the phone on the charger will produce an amber light. I know that this is not over-heating but rather just poor connection. A re-adjust will produce a charging blue light. I tried different cases, all with the same result.

The owners manual does state that excessive heat will cause an amber "no charge" light but there is no specification as to what temp will cause this.

What I really am interested in is the signal booster that is built into the charging pad area. All I see in the owners manual is that I have it and that I need to register the booster with my carrier. Does it even work?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:52 AM   #32
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rux View Post

The owners manual does state that excessive heat will cause an amber "no charge" light but there is no specification as to what temp will cause this.

What I really am interested in is the signal booster that is built into the charging pad area. All I see in the owners manual is that I have it and that I need to register the booster with my carrier. Does it even work?
I have a '20 M340 and the new digital manual that I got from the Driver's guide on my phone also says I have a signal booster/LTE Compensator -- though in the original version I got with the car, it's not there.

How do I know if I even have a signal booster? If I do, who do I register it with -- my cell phone provider or the car's WiFi hotspot provider?

Very interesting

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 05:29 PM   #33
Rux
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
I have a '20 M340 and the new digital manual that I got from the Driver's guide on my phone also says I have a signal booster/LTE Compensator -- though in the original version I got with the car, it's not there.

How do I know if I even have a signal booster? If I do, who do I register it with -- my cell phone provider or the car's WiFi hotspot provider?

Very interesting
Beats the hell out of me. First I learned of this was looking up the light color meanings for the charging tray. Also, this is this LTE only?

I have to make it a point to RTFM. I usually do but have been slacking.

Quote:
LTE-Compensator - Information and User Manual

Your car is equipped with a wireless charging tray (WCA) to charge your mobile phone and connect it to the mobile network. To ensure the best possible connection a signal booster (LTE-Compensator) is used in conjunction with the WCA. The following paragraphs refer to this booster:

This is a CONSUMER device.

BEFORE USE, you MUST REGISTER THIS DEVICE with your wireless provider and have your provider's consent. Most wireless providers consent to the use of Compensators. Some providers may not consent to the use of this device on their network. If you are unsure, contact your provider. You MUST operate this device with approved antennas and cables as specified by the manufacturer. Antennas MUST be installed at least 20 cm (8 inches) from any person. You MUST cease operating this device immediately if requested by the FCC or a licensed wireless service provider. Warning E911 location information may not be provided or may be inaccurate for calls served by using this device.

Please observe additionally the following information

Sprint Nextel will allow consumers to register their signal boosters by calling their toll-free number.
T-Mobile online registration link: (www.T-Mobile.com/BoosterRegistration); (https://saqat.t-mobile.com/sites/SignalBooster#).
Verizon’s online registration link: (http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/...l-booster.html).
AT&T online registration link (https://securec45.securewebsession.c...albooster.com/).
U.S.Cellular online registration link (http://www.uscellular.com/uscellular...gistration.jsp).
Before use you must register your booster device with your wireless provider.

If you should be requested by the FCC to cease operating your booster you are not allowed to insert your mobile phone in the charging tray anymore unless the booster is permanently deactivated by your local BMW dealer.

You must not remove the booster from the car nor use it with any other than the preinstalled coupling device or antenna. Any modification of the existing antenna or coupling device as well as the use of other antennas or coupling devices will cause the cease of the booster´s operating license.

The booster device fulfills the network protection standards as required by the FCC, such as intermodulation limits, oscillation detection and gain limits.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #34
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rux View Post
I
Here's what I found on another model sight -- this might address your question; an also checking with my dealer
Attached Images
File Type: pdf manual-final-b-2938885.pdf (266.4 KB, 434 views)

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA

Last edited by RSnic; 02-18-2021 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
Rux637.50
      02-18-2021, 09:34 PM   #35
Rux
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
Quote:
Here's what I found on another model sight -- this might address your question; an also checking with my dealer
Great find. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 09:36 PM   #36
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Have same issue. My phone S9, has an otter box case. It's a rubber case because I am hard on my phones. If I put in the charger it will over heat but not all the time. If I have it out of the case does not seem heat up. Most of the time I plug it in, charges faster too.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #37
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodc271 View Post
Quote:
Hi,

I have a 2020 M340 and it came with a wireless charging tray (also doubles as NFC sensor); I also have a Samsung S8.

Recently, when I put my phone in the charging tray, the blue light comes on, BUT after 5-10 minutes the light turns orange & my phone gets quite warm. I've done this with and without the phone's Samsung Flip case and still get the same resultant problem. When I had the car in for some other things at my local dealer, I asked them to check things out and they claim there's nothing wrong with the charger and that if there was too much voltage coming from it, a fuze would have been tripped.

Any ideas as to what is causing the overheating (and loss in battery life)?

Appreciate your thoughts and recommendations!
I have no issues with my iPhone XS, but it does get uncomfortably warm.

Far hotter than when using any standalone wires less chargers I have.

Definitely concerned about possible battery life reduction due to temperature. If there was some cooling via the A/C in the tray it would help.
Same. Both my xs and pro get very warm. Phone never crashed or something but never seen anything like it. That's the reason I don't use the tray very often.
      02-27-2021, 06:01 AM   #38
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Do any of you think the overheating might be influenced by the option to “optimize charging” option in settings? Not sure, but if it stops at 80%, as per the function of that option) and continues to heat up and “slowly” charge after 80% to protect the battery. I wonder if the charging tray eases back at all? That’s the only scenario I can think of that would cause this....
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 08:32 AM   #39
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Do any of you think the overheating might be influenced by the option to “optimize charging” option in settings? Not sure, but if it stops at 80%, as per the function of that option) and continues to heat up and “slowly” charge after 80% to protect the battery. I wonder if the charging tray eases back at all? That’s the only scenario I can think of that would cause this....
Overheating most likely is because BMW tried to cover the most space with the charging coils, thus more coils = more heat generated.
That's why apple's magsafe chargers are tiny, so that the least possible heat is generated and thus energy lost.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2021, 02:17 PM   #40
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i DravitGrau / Cognac

My S20 phone gets pretty hot, but the blue light is always on, no problem.
Charging is quite slow, it is really more preventing battery drain than actual charge especially when using phone for NAV and music.

I noticed no difference with plastic phone cover or without.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 05:54 PM   #41
marlinhay
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20

After reading these replies, I recently started using Android Auto and previously used Idrive7 and my phone did not overheat until I started using it as another post mentioned something about it being in use when compared to night time charging and phones not being used. I am going back to Idrive7 and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 05:15 PM   #42
jsilvaaa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

The problem is automotive designers not understanding how wireless charging works. Wireless charging always generates more heat than regular charging. At home, your wireless charger sits on a table or desk out in the open where the heat can disipate. And often times you aren't using your phone when it's sitting there charging. But for some reason car makers always put the chargers in a cubby so there's limited airflow, and often times you're using CarPlay or Android Auto which makes the phone even hotter, and if the sun hits the phone just right it gets even hotter. Car makers need to start putting cooling vents in the charging pad, similar to what Samsung does for it's fast wireless chargers.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 07:23 AM   #43
marlinhay
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20

I had same phone overheating issue with Android Auto. I recently disabled Android Auto on my phone and only use idrive 7, which I like better btw. The overheating issue has stopped and my phone charges just fine now. I like idrive 7 maps better and audio quality is much cleaner also.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 05:28 PM   #44
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive Touring LCI

I have the same problem with overheating and the battery draining rather than charging in my new G21 using a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.

My "solution" is to use an external wireless charger plugged into the 12V just beneath the cup holders.
Appreciate 0