Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes M Adaptive Suspension - How does it work?

01-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

M Adaptive Suspension - How does it work?

I'm having difficulty finding details on the specifics of how M Adaptive Suspension on the G20 works. Go easy on me, as I'm not super knowledgeable about mechanical matters.

I know electronics control the firmness, but how? My guess is the flow of fluids in the dampers is adjusted by widening/narrowing the valve openings. Am I way off?

This is a fascinating subject to me; I'm surprised how I have not been able to find specifics (at least not where I could understand the person explaining it).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:45 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
I know electronics control the firmness, but how? My guess is the flow of fluids in the dampers is adjusted by widening/narrowing the valve openings. Am I way off?

This is a fascinating subject to me; I'm surprised how I have not been able to find specifics (at least not where I could understand the person explaining it).
You are correct that the hydraulic fluid flow within the damper is controlled by valves.

Depending on the system fitted, there is either one or two proportional valves fitted to the dampers. G20 has one valve per damper, controlling both compression and rebound flows. Simply put, each mode (Comfort/Sport) has a specific damper characteristic map, covers a range of control within set parameters. Sensors feed data into the vertical dynamics control module. Signals are processed something like every 2.5ms, the appropriate current is then used for each specific damper, to continuously regulate the valve openings.

G20 also has the Adaptive Mode. This allows an overlap of the two base modes, Comfort and Sport, making it possible to widen the damper maps in real time. The bias still being on comfort, but with more control on demand.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2020, 06:59 AM   #3
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Thank you for the detailed response! My G20 has only recently gone on order, so I have not yet had a lot of hands-on time with the possible settings of the M Adaptive Suspension.

So Adaptive Mode will generally feel the same as Comfort Mode, but tightens up when pushed...

Is Comfort mode with adaptive suspension installed (but turned off) the same level of softness as Comfort mode in the 330i that has passive suspension, or would it feel stiffer / softer?
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Thank you for the detailed response! My G20 has only recently gone on order, so I have not yet had a lot of hands-on time with the possible settings of the M Adaptive Suspension.

So Adaptive Mode will generally feel the same as Comfort Mode, but tightens up when pushed...

Is Comfort mode with adaptive suspension installed (but turned off) the same level of softness as Comfort mode in the 330i that has passive suspension, or would it feel stiffer / softer?
All modes will have active suspension, simply limited to the 'map' for the specific mode. So Comfort Mode will be active within specific limits, the ability to stiffen individual dampers when necessary, like in braking and cornering.

Not many models have had variable damping, with a 'fixed' damping mode, like a passive damping system.

One example would be the E92 M3, with BMW's EDC-K adaptive suspension. There is the choice between three settings, the controlled programs (adaptive) "Comfort" and "Normal", or the uncontrolled (fixed setting) "Sport".

Yes you are correct, Adaptive Mode will be biased to comfort, and as you say tighten as necessary when pushed...
Appreciate 1