Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications X-Drive and update issues

02-16-2022, 05:03 AM   #1
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
X-Drive and update issues

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me here.

My car has been at M340i X-Drive for 1 week now for a recall and rear diff leak. The recall was done last week and the rear diff work was complete on Thursday. Dealership is telling me they're unable to program the car that the diff parts have been changed and the fluid has been changed too because of some coding I have done.

I've coded red ambient lighting, Auto S/S off and ASD off all through bimmercode.

They keep saying it has failed to update because of this and they're struggling to revert/wipe the coding and update it. On Friday I had found out another part needed replacing for the X-Drive called servo motor which was done on Monday but again, still struggling to update the car.

Can coding through bimmercode make this such a problem? And if I was to go back to the dealership and just revert it to its original settings through back up would that help?

I did mention it a couple times to the dealer but seems like they don't want me to come down? As they can't seem it update it because of the coding this seems like a viable option?

Please share your thoughts on what I should do please
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 08:38 PM   #2
totalone
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 e45, M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabbypatty View Post
Hi guys,

My car has been at M340i X-Drive for 1 week now for a recall and rear diff leak. The recall was done last week and the rear diff work was complete on Thursday. Dealership is telling me they're unable to program the car that the diff parts have been changed and the fluid has been changed too because of some coding I have done.

I've coded red ambient lighting, Auto S/S off and ASD off all through bimmercode.

They keep saying it has failed to update because of this and they're struggling to revert/wipe the coding and update it. On Friday I had found out another part needed replacing for the X-Drive called servo motor which was done on Monday but again, still struggling to update the car.

Can coding through bimmercode make this such a problem? And if I was to go back to the dealership and just revert it to its original settings through back up would that help?

I did mention it a couple times to the dealer but seems like they don't want me to come down? As they can't seem it update it because of the coding this seems like a viable option?

Did you try to contact other dealer?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 12:37 PM   #3
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabbypatty View Post
Hi guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalone View Post

No I haven't, they haven't refused any work under warranty but it's coming up to two weeks and I have no idea what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 10:42 PM   #4
blu_g20b58
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

This doesn't sound right to me. I have had my car fully software updated while having way more BimmerCode modifications done than you have, and they had no issues. Obviously all my mods got deleted, but I was able to code them back in afterwards.

Worst case, I'm sure you could just revert your changes back to stock using BimmerCode, then have them try again. Although I don't see how the changes you made would have caused this to happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 11:19 PM   #5
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_g20b58 View Post
This doesn't sound right to me. I have had my car fully software updated while having way more BimmerCode modifications done than you have, and they had no issues. Obviously all my mods got deleted, but I was able to code them back in afterwards.

Worst case, I'm sure you could just revert your changes back to stock using BimmerCode, then have them try again. Although I don't see how the changes you made would have caused this to happen.
+1. Same here. The dealer updated my software to the latest version. I had a ton of coding in place. All of it got wiped off and I had to redo it. But yea. No issue on their end.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 08:10 AM   #6
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
That's my experience too. Every time car goes in shop you have to re-code but all you're doing (except for expert mode) is flipping switches that are already there.

Maybe the expert coding causes an issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 08:20 AM   #7
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Thanks for the replies guys.

I haven't done no expert coding, literally just the basic coding.

So BMW haven't worked on the car since Wednesday until today. I spoke to the technician today and he's advised me they were waiting for BMW Germany to get back to them because of all the issues they were having (they're working closely with them to get this resolved).

He told me they're doing everything they can to get the car back on the road. Bmw Germany got back to them today and told them a lot of technical things that I read to help get the car back on the road (he read out the email out to me that he received). A lot of abbreviations that I did not understand. They have been asked to do testing with some parts off/removed etc and testing is in progress to get the car running properly.

As frustrating and annoying as it is, the person looking after this has been very patient and helpful. He's trying to keep all the work under warranty and is going out of his way.

So I guess it is in their hands now and it's all about waiting now. Hopefully this will be sooner than later.
Appreciate 0