4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Rear lights

07-16-2023, 04:40 AM   #221
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Should work without coding since the car is already coded for amber turn signals.
US spec vehicles are the ones not coded for amber turn signals and need extra coding to work.

Here is some issue with G82 CSL taillight not sure if its might be related to G80.
Only issue ive seen is flickering of tail light when car is locked and unlocked if welcome light is on. This personally i have seen for OEM units. Not sure about the aftermarket units, some sellers also have the same issue with their lights.

Ive also seen some website selling GTS taillight for G80 have a disclaimer for this issue.
You can contact Bayoptiks or other aftermarket sellers and confirm if its has the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 05:47 AM   #222
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNine90 View Post
Should work without coding since the car is already coded for amber turn signals.
US spec vehicles are the ones not coded for amber turn signals and need extra coding to work.

Here is some issue with G82 CSL taillight not sure if its might be related to G80.
Only issue ive seen is flickering of tail light when car is locked and unlocked if welcome light is on. This personally i have seen for OEM units. Not sure about the aftermarket units, some sellers also have the same issue with their lights.

Ive also seen some website selling GTS taillight for G80 have a disclaimer for this issue.
You can contact Bayoptiks or other aftermarket sellers and confirm if its has the same issue.
My car will be US spec and coded as such. When I emailed Bayoptik they said the amber signals work out of the box without additional coding.
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 02:49 PM   #223
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggripper View Post
My car will be US spec and coded as such. When I emailed Bayoptil they said the amber signals work out of the box without additional coding.
I know nothing about Bayotil lights so I won't comment on that.

But if you go purchase OEM EU/UK/ROW spec lights, they will 100% need to be coded which is the main reason why this thread exists to begin with.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2023, 01:25 AM   #224
tuffcalc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neles View Post
Bro, I just successfully did this on my G80. Works great! Your instructions were spot on including the UNKNOWN_28 part. Time to get some Euro tails!

Also, I noticed I now have the "Euro flashers" on my Laser Headlights. This allows the front flashers to blink while DRLs are on.
Thanks folks - also worked on my G80 M3. Initially had rapid flash on turn signal and then did the unknown change (although mine looked different so I just selected the one that started with 71, 14) - and now all works perfectly.

Bonus - I took my drone out to check the brake force flashing and now all lights rapid flash on hard breaking. Previously only the third brake light worked before this rear taillight coding change.

Will check if there is any difference in behvaior with my front DRLs when turn signal tomorrow.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 11:40 AM   #225
tuffcalc
Private First Class
Rep

To close the loop on this - someone mentioned their DRL/turn signals changed to “euro style” after coding the rear tails.

I don’t see any change in mine. DRL on the side of the working turn signal dims off when flashing, and back on after the flash stops. Same as before taillight coding.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 12:43 PM   #226
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

I think euro style is turn signal separate from brake light. US style turn signal is part of brake light
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 01:04 PM   #227
tuffcalc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think euro style is turn signal separate from brake light. US style turn signal is part of brake light
Sorry I might not have been clear. I’m talking about the front DRL - someone mentioned here that it changed after tailing coding. Mine didn’t.

Yes, my rear brake and signal are separated euro style after coding.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 02:45 PM   #228
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

I didnt read it well. For front DRL you also have to code the FLM module also.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 07:21 PM   #229
tuffcalc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I didnt read it well. For front DRL you also have to code the FLM module also.
Not sure I’m following. Why bother code the front drls?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 11:41 PM   #230
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

The front DRL are controlled by FLM module. The rear lights are controlled by BDC.
So if you coded the BDC only then front DRL wont be affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffcalc View Post
To close the loop on this - someone mentioned their DRL/turn signals changed to “euro style” after coding the rear tails.
It likely the FLM modules where also coded.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 08:56 AM   #231
tuffcalc
Private First Class
Rep

Question for you guys that have decoupled the brake/turn signals in the rear.

... I was thinking it would look better to have the turn signals act as brake lights (the thin line) and use the brake lights (the square leds) as a turn signal.

Does anyone know how to swap them around?

Thanks much
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 11:05 PM   #232
dhock_holiday
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
After almost 3 years, I figured this out!!!!

Couple of plans got cancelled tonight and I found myself messing with the car and I got everything to work via Bimmer Code thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Here is what I have done based on all the data that I have gathered through this thread. Full disclosure: Do this at your own risk!!!!

This is what worked for me.

Make sure that you have the latest version of Bimmer Code installed on your device.

Body Domain Control Menu, Expert mode change everything below as stated previously.

LIC_FEATURE_14 enable -> disable
LIC_NIVEAU_OVVERRIDE_INDEX G20_US_code2 -> G22_ECE_code2
LIC_NIVEAU_OVVERRIDE_DATA_0 G20_US_code2 -> G20_ECE_code1
LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_PHYS_LAMP_INDEX G20_US_code1 -> G20_ECE_code1
LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_PHYS_LAMP_DATA G20_US_code1 -> G20_ECE_code1
LIC_EDGE_CUTTER_RULE_ASSIGNMENT G20_US_code -> G20_ECE_code

And then go ahead and execute the coding.

Now this is the step that we all have been missing.

Once you are done with above coding, do not touch anything and go back to the expert mode and pull up

LICVERSIONDATA

Bimmer code has different values added to this list after you code above which were not present before or if you do all the coding at once. Based on the actual codes that larrylam646 & moproblems provided, I scrolled through the entire list and found values that matched their data around 98%. Following values were provided for by Larry and Moproblems:

71,14,09,02,08,44,06,4F,00,0A,14,02,B4,C8,02,F0,0F ,3E,D4,2C,27,32,03,03,07,02,28,78,3F,EF,16,0C,04,0 A,27,0F,77

I studied the entire list carefully and what I ended up choosing was the only set of data that started with 71, 14 and 09 which is identified as UNKNOWN_28 in my case (based on your vehicle's options your UNKNOWN number might be different) (Pay attention to the values!). The rest of the data on Bimmer code under any of the other UNKNOWNS were not even a close match and there was only one set of data that started with 71 in my case.

See below pic for UNKNOWN_28 for the values I selected.

Go ahead and execute coding again and then you are DONE!

Full set of Turn Signals that are separated from brake lights just as BMW designed!

I tested everything that I can while in the garage and everything works just as it would on a Rest of the Word (ROW) spec cars.

I will have to double check emergency braking feature and some other stuff when I drive the car tomorrow but brake lights, back up lights, turn signals, DRLs, parking lights (all), parking lights left & right & etc work perfectly with no hyper flashing on turn signals!!!!

Time to order some beautiful AMBER tail lights now

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I might create a separate thread to document this whole thing so that other folks don't have to read through this whole thing.

Let me know if you have any questions.

PS: My car's options are listed in my signature per the option codes BMW offered at the time of ordering. I do have Laser Lights which I don't know makes any difference as far as coding is concerned.

Will this work on LCI models?
Appreciate 1
chrish_22111.00
      08-02-2023, 09:47 AM   #233
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffcalc View Post
Sorry I might not have been clear. I’m talking about the front DRL - someone mentioned here that it changed after tailing coding. Mine didn’t.

Yes, my rear brake and signal are separated euro style after coding.
Their car was a G80 and they were inquiring about if it can be done or not. Coding rear lights did not do anything to their front DRLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhock_holiday View Post
Will this work on LCI models?
I am not sure how LCI cars are coded. Someone will have to give it a try.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 07:56 AM   #234
muhammedjan
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

So I drive a 2021 m340i and I have changed my tailights to GTS style ones. I did straight plug and play basically and now Im getting tailights and brake light malfunction with rapid blinking when I turn the blinkers on. Could this potentially fix my issue or would the issue have something to do with the wiring? I even purchased bimmerutility thinking I could maybe turn off the cold/warm monitoring but could not find the option to do so. Anyone has any ideas what could be the issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 09:15 AM   #235
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

What errors do you have?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 09:46 AM   #236
muhammedjan
Rep

Quote:
What errors do you have?
I get right and left tailight malfunctions and also brake light malfunction. Blinker with start rapid flashing whenever I would use them.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 11:57 AM   #237
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

The actual codes would be helpful.
Where did you get the taillight from?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 02:30 PM   #238
muhammedjan
Rep

Quote:
The actual codes would be helpful.
Where did you get the taillight from?
The codes im getting are 804874 and 804876
Got the tailights from ebay but I cannot find the order or the seller at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 10:54 PM   #239
Hyura
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
After almost 3 years, I figured this out!!!!

Couple of plans got cancelled tonight and I found myself messing with the car and I got everything to work via Bimmer Code thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Here is what I have done based on all the data that I have gathered through this thread. Full disclosure: Do this at your own risk!!!!

This is what worked for me.

Make sure that you have the latest version of Bimmer Code installed on your device.

Body Domain Control Menu, Expert mode change everything below as stated previously.

LIC_FEATURE_14 enable -> disable
LIC_NIVEAU_OVVERRIDE_INDEX G20_US_code2 -> G22_ECE_code2
LIC_NIVEAU_OVVERRIDE_DATA_0 G20_US_code2 -> G20_ECE_code1
LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_PHYS_LAMP_INDEX G20_US_code1 -> G20_ECE_code1
LIC_LOG_LAMP_2_PHYS_LAMP_DATA G20_US_code1 -> G20_ECE_code1
LIC_EDGE_CUTTER_RULE_ASSIGNMENT G20_US_code -> G20_ECE_code

And then go ahead and execute the coding.

Now this is the step that we all have been missing.

Once you are done with above coding, do not touch anything and go back to the expert mode and pull up

LICVERSIONDATA

Bimmer code has different values added to this list after you code above which were not present before or if you do all the coding at once. Based on the actual codes that larrylam646 & moproblems provided, I scrolled through the entire list and found values that matched their data around 98%. Following values were provided for by Larry and Moproblems:

71,14,09,02,08,44,06,4F,00,0A,14,02,B4,C8,02,F0,0F ,3E,D4,2C,27,32,03,03,07,02,28,78,3F,EF,16,0C,04,0 A,27,0F,77

I studied the entire list carefully and what I ended up choosing was the only set of data that started with 71, 14 and 09 which is identified as UNKNOWN_28 in my case (based on your vehicle's options your UNKNOWN number might be different) (Pay attention to the values!). The rest of the data on Bimmer code under any of the other UNKNOWNS were not even a close match and there was only one set of data that started with 71 in my case.

See below pic for UNKNOWN_28 for the values I selected.

Go ahead and execute coding again and then you are DONE!

Full set of Turn Signals that are separated from brake lights just as BMW designed!

I tested everything that I can while in the garage and everything works just as it would on a Rest of the Word (ROW) spec cars.

I will have to double check emergency braking feature and some other stuff when I drive the car tomorrow but brake lights, back up lights, turn signals, DRLs, parking lights (all), parking lights left & right & etc work perfectly with no hyper flashing on turn signals!!!!

Time to order some beautiful AMBER tail lights now

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I might create a separate thread to document this whole thing so that other folks don't have to read through this whole thing.

Let me know if you have any questions.

PS: My car's options are listed in my signature per the option codes BMW offered at the time of ordering. I do have Laser Lights which I don't know makes any difference as far as coding is concerned.

I've ordered a set of GTS tailights for my G82 and since my car is US spec, the sequential turn signal in the lights are not used but instead the brake lights are used as turn indicators. Has anyone figured out the LIC_VERSION_DATA for G22, G82 ?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 10:56 PM   #240
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyura View Post
I've ordered a set of GTS tailights for my G82 and since my car is US spec, the sequential turn signal in the lights are not used but instead the brake lights are used as turn indicators. Has anyone figured out the LIC_VERSION_DATA for G22, G82 ?

Thanks!
Need wiring added, not plug and play like G20.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 06:06 AM   #241
chutoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
Need wiring added, not plug and play like G20.
Can you elaborate on the wiring? Pics or videos or part numbers, link to product?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 12:14 AM   #242
Hyura
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutoy View Post
Can you elaborate on the wiring? Pics or videos or part numbers, link to product?
Okay so after some research for G22/82 lights, I've found that we will need to wire pin 4 from each of the 4 lights, (outer right, inner right, inner left, outer left) to the BDC and then code for separating taillights out. An addition wire is required for the fog light for LHD. This is the my GTS tail lights.

I've ordered all the parts and will attempt to do this mod. Will keep this thread post for all the G22/82 owners who've lost hope.

A question though, can I splice the fog lights for left and right together on the same pin for dual fog lights to work or does the fog light button not care about which fog light is connected?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2