Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Anybody tempted by a 330e?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-16-2019, 12:49 AM   #45
davidoff86
Private First Class
33
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: 328
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

My concern about a 330e is the reduction in boot space. Can't really get a straight answer on how it's smaller, and videos and images on the web aren't clear
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 02:17 AM   #46
Blackers
New Member
United Kingdom
5
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: G20 330e on order, Mercedes C3
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Edinburgh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
My concern about a 330e is the reduction in boot space. Can't really get a straight answer on how it's smaller, and videos and images on the web aren't clear


This video shows the boot very well, the compromise re space is at the back of the seats, not sure if this is for the battery or fuel tank. Further back the depth is the same as any G20.

Had you considered waiting for the 330e Touring?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:33 AM   #47
tricky6
Private
9
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: G20 330e M Sport + (on order)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post


This video shows the boot very well, the compromise re space is at the back of the seats, not sure if this is for the battery or fuel tank. Further back the depth is the same as any G20.

Had you considered waiting for the 330e Touring?
Thanks for sharing the video. I was told the 330e Touring won't be available until next summer. I'm resigned to buying a roof box...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #48
tricky6
Private
9
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: G20 330e M Sport + (on order)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Noticed a new brochure and price list have recently been posted that now include the 330e.

0-62 in 5.9 seconds apparently. Only 0.1 second slower than the 330i and I think WhatCar tested the 330i at 5.6 seconds for 0-60. Tee hee :-) Until the battery runs out... ;-)

Will be very interesting to see the in gear times, might find the 330e is quicker from 30-50...

Here's the price list:

https://www.bmw.co.uk/pdfs/price-lis..._PriceList.pdf

Here's the brochure:

https://www.bmw.co.uk/pdfs/brochures...ure_June19.pdf
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #49
Blackers
New Member
United Kingdom
5
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: G20 330e on order, Mercedes C3
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Edinburgh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
Noticed a new brochure and price list have recently been posted that now include the 330e.

0-62 in 5.9 seconds apparently. Only 0.1 second slower than the 330i and I think WhatCar tested the 330i at 5.6 seconds for 0-60. Tee hee :-) Until the battery runs out... ;-)

Will be very interesting to see the in gear times, might find the 330e is quicker from 30-50...

Here's the price list:

https://www.bmw.co.uk/pdfs/price-lis..._PriceList.pdf

Here's the brochure:

https://www.bmw.co.uk/pdfs/brochures...ure_June19.pdf
Thank you for posting this, interesting reading.

So the 330e M Sport does not get a larger fuel tank, which makes sense with battery but it also doesn't get M Sport Suspension either so the normal new BMW suspension then?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #50
tricky6
Private
9
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: G20 330e M Sport + (on order)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
Noticed a new brochure and price list have recently been posted that now include the 330e.

0-62 in 5.9 seconds apparently. Only 0.1 second slower than the 330i and I think WhatCar tested the 330i at 5.6 seconds for 0-60. Tee hee :-) Until the battery runs out... ;-)

Will be very interesting to see the in gear times, might find the 330e is quicker from 30-50...

Here's the price list:

https://www.bmw.co.uk/pdfs/price-lis..._PriceList.pdf

Here's the brochure:

https://www.bmw.co.uk/pdfs/brochures...ure_June19.pdf
Thank you for posting this, interesting reading.

So the 330e M Sport does not get a larger fuel tank, which makes sense with battery but it also doesn't get M Sport Suspension either so the normal new BMW suspension then?
You've got a keen eye, didn't even spot the lack of M Sport suspension, wonder if it's a typo? Would seem strange not to have it. I only went for the M Sport Plus pack because I found the standard M Sport suspension too firm. Ho hum...

Last edited by tricky6; Yesterday at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 12:32 AM   #51
Blackers
New Member
United Kingdom
5
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: G20 330e on order, Mercedes C3
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Edinburgh

iTrader: (0)

Could be a typo or perhaps the extra weight of the battery and electric motor requires the standard suspension, worth checking with BMW Genius?

I noticed that the wheels for the 330e (apart from your 19') have separate codes giving them non run flats and no mobility kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 06:02 AM   #52
mlcgd21
Private First Class
36
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: BMW 1M VO
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North

iTrader: (0)

All the G20 330e (M package or not) have the same specially tuned suspension for this model because of the extra weight of the batteries, there is no M suspension available.

You can order the M adaptive suspension though (which was not available on the F30 330e).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 06:17 AM   #53
davidoff86
Private First Class
33
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: 328
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
My concern about a 330e is the reduction in boot space. Can't really get a straight answer on how it's smaller, and videos and images on the web aren't clear


This video shows the boot very well, the compromise re space is at the back of the seats, not sure if this is for the battery or fuel tank. Further back the depth is the same as any G20.

Had you considered waiting for the 330e Touring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
My concern about a 330e is the reduction in boot space. Can't really get a straight answer on how it's smaller, and videos and images on the web aren't clear


This video shows the boot very well, the compromise re space is at the back of the seats, not sure if this is for the battery or fuel tank. Further back the depth is the same as any G20.

Had you considered waiting for the 330e Touring?
At the back of the seats ? How does that work given they fold down ?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 07:17 AM   #54
tricky6
Private
9
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: G20 330e M Sport + (on order)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
At the back of the seats ? How does that work given they fold down ?
So my take is that the height of the boot is the main difference, the floor is lower in the standard car. The width and depth look the same. There is obviously an underfloor storage space, I'm guessing for the electric charging cable(s).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #55
snusnu
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW 330e (g20)
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

yes, the floor has like 40% foldable compartment, where you can either have shalow regular boot or you can have the additional compartment when you fold the floor. I have this in my Mondeo and it is very good - you can put your shopping there and it will not roll over in your boot.

Also on the side you should gave cables storage, just like in 530e
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #56
tricky6
Private
9
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: G20 330e M Sport + (on order)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusnu View Post
yes, the floor has like 40% foldable compartment, where you can either have shalow regular boot or you can have the additional compartment when you fold the floor. I have this in my Mondeo and it is very good - you can put your shopping there and it will not roll over in your boot.

Also on the side you should gave cables storage, just like in 530e
I'm going to get a tethered cable at home to safe faffing about with cables, the No 1 recommendation I got from a neighbour who has a PHEV! Do you know which cables the car actually comes with? I'm assuming a standard 3-pin + a Type 2 cable for rapid(-ish) charging at home or when out and about. But knowing BMW they'll probably be extra...

How are you enjoying your 330i demo? Does the adaptive ride make much difference between comfort and sport? Would be interesting to know how it compares to your Mondeo. My Mondeo runs 19" wheels and it's still pretty comfortable around town and on the motorway.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:20 AM   #57
Blackers
New Member
United Kingdom
5
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: G20 330e on order, Mercedes C3
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Edinburgh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post

At the back of the seats ? How does that work given they fold down ?
The high-voltage battery in the new BMW 330e is positioned underneath the rear seats, while the fuel tank is located above the rear axle. This means that luggage compartment volume is only slightly restricted in the plug-in hybrid model. The storage volume of 375 litres can be expanded as required by means of the folding rear backrest with 40 : 20: 40 split.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:33 AM   #58
snusnu
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW 330e (g20)
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
I'm going to get a tethered cable at home to safe faffing about with cables, the No 1 recommendation I got from a neighbour who has a PHEV! Do you know which cables the car actually comes with? I'm assuming a standard 3-pin + a Type 2 cable for rapid(-ish) charging at home or when out and about. But knowing BMW they'll probably be extra...

How are you enjoying your 330i demo? Does the adaptive ride make much difference between comfort and sport? Would be interesting to know how it compares to your Mondeo. My Mondeo runs 19" wheels and it's still pretty comfortable around town and on the motorway.
Yes, difference between Sport and Comfort is really noticeable. In all things, engine, gearbox, ride. Comfort is really nice, sport - really sporty and aggressive. Was switching between those all the time

DEMO was nice... Had Saab 95 Aero sitting on my tail while leaving a junction and merging into M42... He tried to stick with me - almost could Almost
Car drives very nice, and I think 330e will have very similar performance to the 330i. However, this is my first RWD car, and I had some wet asphalt on my country roads around my area - so it took absolutely no effort to wiggle the tail. Which is a bit worrying, and means that I will have to be a bit more careful with the pedal

My Mondeo is with 16" wheels (215/60 R16 - Only option available for Hybrid when I ordered it in 2015) so... aghmm.. Mondeo is like million miles away softer and smoother. Like from another planet. But that's not really comparable due to Mondeo tyre size . However, as it should be, 3 series feels more stable due to low profile run-flats vs mondeo balloons

The 530e demo which I had, came with a single 3 pin cable which you use to charge from the domestic socket.
Colleague has 530e, so his came with the same - single cable for domestic socket. He bought himself a Type 2 cable from ebay for like a 100 gbp or so.
When I asked about it, dealership rep told that it comes with single, 3 pin domestic cable.
But to be fair - I will be charging it at home most of the time (to charging points in office), and it is fully charged during the night. It will be more or less tethered cable just inside the garage, and I will have to open/close garage doors for every charge, but that's not a big worry...

Last edited by snusnu; Yesterday at 04:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 11:31 AM   #59
mlcgd21
Private First Class
36
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: BMW 1M VO
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North

iTrader: (0)

Just had a private conversation with an experienced car journalist that test drove the new 330e yesterday at Munich, and he told me that this new 330e pops and burbles a little bit on the overrun (like the 330i) in Sport + xtraboost mode, that must be the first time on a hybrid, for me this is a good sign because it means that BMW wants this new 330e to be a little more sporty than before. Also he told me he was totally convinced by the car, and that he would take it over the 330i, which he drove already aswell. Reviews will only be out on the middle of August.
Appreciate 3
      Yesterday, 02:40 PM   #60
ShereKhan
Captain
ShereKhan's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
998
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport -on order
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bristol, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
My concern about a 330e is the reduction in boot space. Can't really get a straight answer on how it's smaller, and videos and images on the web aren't clear
I was at Geneva motor show and took some pictures. The boot has a hinged floor. The space is enough for probably a LBC brick height if that helps!
Attached Images
   
__________________
Current Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue
Long gone - 11 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown 6FL USB, Front Sports seats, Sports steering wheel, Xenons, Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010 - E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification, 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:12 PM   #61
tricky6
Private
9
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: G20 330e M Sport + (on order)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan View Post
I was at Geneva motor show and took some pictures. The boot has a hinged floor. The space is enough for probably a LBC brick height if that helps!
Thanks for sharing! As previously commented I reckon the floor is higher than the standard car but the depth and width are the same, perhaps someone with a standard car could comment? I'm pretty sure the 320d I looked at had a bigger drop over the lip.

So the range photo is interesting. It has (I'd guess) about 40% charge but is indicating 17km/11 mile range. So the range when fully charged would be about 27 miles. Somewhat better than the 15 miles I got out of a demo 225xe... Here's hoping! :-)
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #62
ShereKhan
Captain
ShereKhan's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
998
Posts

Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport -on order
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bristol, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
Thanks for sharing! As previously commented I reckon the floor is higher than the standard car but the depth and width are the same, perhaps someone with a standard car could comment? I'm pretty sure the 320d I looked at had a bigger drop over the lip.

So the range photo is interesting. It has (I'd guess) about 40% charge but is indicating 17km/11 mile range. So the range when fully charged would be about 27 miles. Somewhat better than the 15 miles I got out of a demo 225xe... Here's hoping! :-)
It's definitely higher. The hinge is a weird scissor type. As it folds down into gap. I found it odd. It will probably be good for laptop, iPad etc storage. Maybe even my compact SLR. I didn't spot the range on the dash display!
__________________
Current Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue
Long gone - 11 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown 6FL USB, Front Sports seats, Sports steering wheel, Xenons, Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010 - E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification, 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST