Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) eBay spoiler lifting at the ends?

12-03-2023, 09:46 PM   #1
Lain
Rep
Drives: 21' M340i

Question eBay spoiler lifting at the ends?

I'm on my 2nd eBay carbon spoiler now and they have all had the ends lift up after installing them. Tried different styles (M3 and M4) and with different high rated sellers.

Even clamping them down overnight and with extra double sided tape at the ends, I still can't get them to stay down and flush. I'm pretty sure its a fitment issue but a part of me thinks I messed up somewhere...

Is it me or the spoiler?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 04:51 PM   #2
chrish_22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain View Post
I'm on my 2nd eBay carbon spoiler now and they have all had the ends lift up after installing them. Tried different styles (M3 and M4) and with different high rated sellers.

Even clamping them down overnight and with extra double sided tape at the ends, I still can't get them to stay down and flush. I'm pretty sure its a fitment issue but a part of me thinks I messed up somewhere...

Is it me or the spoiler?
That's the nature of ebay parts. Did you check fitment prior to installation? Sometimes the temperature/sun can also make the ends come up, but will go back down once the temperature drops. This happens to me if I park in the sun for a prolonged period of time.

I ended up redoing everything and making sure I used strong 3m tape.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 09:24 PM   #3
Lain
Rep
Drives: 21' M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish_22 View Post
That's the nature of ebay parts. Did you check fitment prior to installation? Sometimes the temperature/sun can also make the ends come up, but will go back down once the temperature drops. This happens to me if I park in the sun for a prolonged period of time.

I ended up redoing everything and making sure I used strong 3m tape.
The fitment prior to installation was more or less the same. The ends lifted up a bit but I figured the tape would keep it down. After taping it down, I realized the tape on the ends didn't even reach the trunk. I took it off and added another layer at the ends. That helped a bit but there's still a noticeable gap.

I think I'll just buy an actual CF spoiler at this point or live with the lifted ends. It's just bugging my OCD seeing it lift up like that
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 10:57 PM   #4
chrish_22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i

Quote:
The fitment prior to installation was more or less the same. The ends lifted up a bit but I figured the tape would keep it down. After taping it down, I realized the tape on the ends didn't even reach the trunk. I took it off and added another layer at the ends. That helped a bit but there's still a noticeable gap.

I think I'll just buy an actual CF spoiler at this point or live with the lifted ends. It's just bugging my OCD seeing it lift up like that
Yeah I’d be very careful how you put the 3m on the spoiler too just cause that could also be the reason for the raised edges. With mine, thankfully, fitment was 100% visually prior to putting 3m tape on. After I installed the 3m tape and before I took off the protective strip, I placed it back on to make sure it would sit right and that made the difference from my first install.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 11:03 PM   #5
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

Is it me or the spoiler?
For this particular case, it’s definitely a poor part / fitment. Time to purchase a known unit that fits like a glove.