Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

05-28-2022, 09:44 AM   #133
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Won’t post pics because the car is a state but just back from holidays and handed the keys to my i4M50 to the brother to drive whilst I was away as he has a Taycan TC 4S on order due August, just to hear his thoughts on not only the car but actually spending proper time with an EV for the first.

Well he’s in love, I always knew he would because we have similar taste in cars but was surprised just how stoked he now is to get his car. He said the instant torque was addictive so no surprise there and after a couple of days like me he switched to ECO Pro as it’s performance is more than enough for daily use.

He had a heavier right foot than me or maybe driving it more like a petrol car than an EV, but he still returned 2.0Kw/mile. Also loved the handling, so another person who has been use to sporty cars reckoning BMW had done a sterling job in this respect.

Only negative was the smell inside, maybe as someone who has recently had a few BMWs I don’t notice it but I do recall in the past complaining of the smell of my new BMW, don’t know if it’s the type of tanning process or the glue used but they do have a different smell to other brands.

Last edited by footie; 05-31-2022 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 09:59 AM   #134
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Ok after having the i4M50 for 10 days now I think I can give a reasonably good opinion on how I now feel about the switch from the M5 Competition and whether it was the right move or not. I will touch on how the car drives, some of the tech which might be different depending of what’s allowed in your country and finally range and cost of ownership.

1: How it drives

The switch from the M5 was made on a financial basis because currently there’s tax benefits for business customers and due to shortages of second hand cars my M5 was holding a premium but it still had to drive like a proper BMW for me to be happy with my decision. The most noticeable difference is the instant performance on tap, my M5 was no slouch but compared to this it feels slow, in sport boost the push in the back is brutal there’s no other word to describe it, even in ECO Pro it’s got enough performance for day to day driving to not need either Comfort or Sport and can overtake at the kind of pace one would associate with a top level hot hatch.

Handling, a sticky point for most because at 2.2 ton it’s a real porker and yet it can tackle corners with surprising composure, I am sure if you really started to push at speeds that would lose you your license it’s composure would fall apart but you will not experience this on the road at real world speeds, the only real negative I can point at is the steering feel which simply isn’t there and I can’t quite understand why this should be, it’s perfectly accurate but you feel nothing. Plus points, the brakes seem to be good and the ride quality to a definitely step up from the M5, its rides more like my 740d did which is amazing considering it’s size and how it tackles corners.

2: The technology

The contains some pretty cool tech, if you aren’t on the throttle and approaching a car in front of you that’s traveling slower it automatic brakes for you, likewise entering a slower speed zone without throttle it slows the car to within 5 mph of the speed limit before freewheeling again. Then there’s the cruise control which allows you to SET the speed to the new speed limit you are approaching and it auto adjusts itself, I am finding myself using this function all the time, it’s probably been available before but it’s new to me. Also new to me but probably no to other electric car owners is the departure conditioning function, basically set the time you intend to leave the house on the app and the car pre warms itself cabin etc which is brilliant in cold mornings. Also like how you can set the charging time with the app which is good if you have an EV electricity tariff which is cheaper at night.

3: Running costs and range

Of course we are in difficult times with regards to fuel prices and energy prices so this could vary but I am basing this on present day prices and compared to me M5 which in my opinion is a good comparison because the real world performance of i4M50 is very similar to that of the M5.

I reckon I was probably getting very good mpg out of my M5, I was getting 20mpg (imperial gallons) from mine and based on this figure and the cost I am paying for my electricity (currently don’t have an EV tariff) the i4M50 is working out to be costing my a third of what the M5 cost per mile, so based on my yearly mileage that works out at £2K per year saving. When I switch to an EV tariff this figure will increase by quite a bit so for anyone debating the switch I say it’s a no brainer.

Range on 20” wheels, these are the wider 20s which are offered in the UK but I am 100% getting between 236-244 miles in less than ideal operating temperatures for an electric car, most of my journeys are less than 8 miles which would mean the range might drop with longer journeys but one thing I have found is the state of charge it shows is very accurate to the figure of range it shows so the range left before empty you can believe you’ll achieve.

Conclusion I am over the moon with the car and I can’t recall the last time I felt this happy with a car purchase.
Wading through that pile of incomprehensible words was mind numbing. Periods in the English language make thoughts and ideas comprehensible. Your post was neither.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 12:28 PM   #135
WABIM66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M50 Wait

Quote:
WonÂ’t post pics because the car is a state but just back from holidays and handed the keys to my i4M50 to the brother to drive whilst I was away as he has a Taycan TC 4S on order due August, just to hear his thoughts on not only the car but actually spending proper time with an EV for the first.

Well heÂ’s in love, I always knew he would because we have similar taste in cars but was surprised just how stoked he now is to get his car. He said the instant torque was addictive so no surprise there and after a couple of days like me he switched to ECO Pro as itÂ’s performance is more than enough for daily use.

He had a heavier right foot than me or maybe driving it more like a petrol car than an EV, but he still returned 2.0Kw/mile. Also loved the handling, so another people who has been use to sporty cars reckoning BMW had done a sterling job in this respect.

Only negative was the smell inside, maybe as someone who has recently had a few BMWs I donÂ’t notice it but I do recall in the past complaining of the smell of my new BMW, donÂ’t know if itÂ’s the type of tanning process or the glue used but they do have a different smell to other brands.
footie Sir thanks so much for your review inputs and answers, all quite helpful and informative. Our local dealership received their demo so my boss finally scheduled her test drive next week. Since fall, she has patiently awaited status on her MY22 i4 M50 pre-order. Hope after our test drive the main remaining questions to the SA ..What is the VIN, Production number and ship date? Other comment to mention is GLWYP- Good Luck With Your Purchase, she looks like a gem and a keeper, please safely enjoy and cheers mate!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 09:11 AM   #136
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Quote:
Ok after having the i4M50 for 10 days now I think I can give a reasonably good opinion on how I now feel about the switch from the M5 Competition and whether it was the right move or not. I will touch on how the car drives, some of the tech which might be different depending of what's allowed in your country and finally range and cost of ownership.

1: How it drives

The switch from the M5 was made on a financial basis because currently there's tax benefits for business customers and due to shortages of second hand cars my M5 was holding a premium but it still had to drive like a proper BMW for me to be happy with my decision. The most noticeable difference is the instant performance on tap, my M5 was no slouch but compared to this it feels slow, in sport boost the push in the back is brutal there's no other word to describe it, even in ECO Pro it's got enough performance for day to day driving to not need either Comfort or Sport and can overtake at the kind of pace one would associate with a top level hot hatch.

Handling, a sticky point for most because at 2.2 ton it's a real porker and yet it can tackle corners with surprising composure, I am sure if you really started to push at speeds that would lose you your license it's composure would fall apart but you will not experience this on the road at real world speeds, the only real negative I can point at is the steering feel which simply isn't there and I can't quite understand why this should be, it's perfectly accurate but you feel nothing. Plus points, the brakes seem to be good and the ride quality to a definitely step up from the M5, its rides more like my 740d did which is amazing considering it's size and how it tackles corners.

2: The technology

The contains some pretty cool tech, if you aren't on the throttle and approaching a car in front of you that's traveling slower it automatic brakes for you, likewise entering a slower speed zone without throttle it slows the car to within 5 mph of the speed limit before freewheeling again. Then there's the cruise control which allows you to SET the speed to the new speed limit you are approaching and it auto adjusts itself, I am finding myself using this function all the time, it's probably been available before but it's new to me. Also new to me but probably no to other electric car owners is the departure conditioning function, basically set the time you intend to leave the house on the app and the car pre warms itself cabin etc which is brilliant in cold mornings. Also like how you can set the charging time with the app which is good if you have an EV electricity tariff which is cheaper at night.

3: Running costs and range

Of course we are in difficult times with regards to fuel prices and energy prices so this could vary but I am basing this on present day prices and compared to me M5 which in my opinion is a good comparison because the real world performance of i4M50 is very similar to that of the M5.

I reckon I was probably getting very good mpg out of my M5, I was getting 20mpg (imperial gallons) from mine and based on this figure and the cost I am paying for my electricity (currently don't have an EV tariff) the i4M50 is working out to be costing my a third of what the M5 cost per mile, so based on my yearly mileage that works out at £2K per year saving. When I switch to an EV tariff this figure will increase by quite a bit so for anyone debating the switch I say it's a no brainer.

Range on 20" wheels, these are the wider 20s which are offered in the UK but I am 100% getting between 236-244 miles in less than ideal operating temperatures for an electric car, most of my journeys are less than 8 miles which would mean the range might drop with longer journeys but one thing I have found is the state of charge it shows is very accurate to the figure of range it shows so the range left before empty you can believe you'll achieve.

Conclusion I am over the moon with the car and I can't recall the last time I felt this happy with a car purchase.
Wading through that pile of incomprehensible words was mind numbing. Periods in the English language make thoughts and ideas comprehensible. Your post was neither.
Wow. That was a d!ck post. Someone piss in your cereal?
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003946.50
      05-29-2022, 10:44 AM   #137
mtech8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 19' X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
I agree with Haywood. Footie's post was good and very easy to understand.
Appreciate 4
      05-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #138
shultquist
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtech8 View Post
Quote:
I agree with Haywood. Footie's post was good and very easy to understand.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 08:20 AM   #139
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks mate, I re-read my posts and didn’t understand the negativity? Ok some times autocorrect changes a word you might not have noticed but for the most part it’s easy to read and get the feel for how I rate the car.
Appreciate 3
deutsch1003946.50
mlello16.50
      06-03-2022, 01:35 PM   #140
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Ok, BMW have a recall on the i4, not sure if it’s the entire range or just the i4M50 but mine is in next week sometime to have it dealt with so hopefully I will know more as to what the recall is next time I post.

At from that I am having issues with stones getting threw into the brake discs and you can imagine what that noise sounds like, once is annoying but this is the second time in a month so it will be something I will be advising the service department about.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #141
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Ok, BMW have a recall on the i4, not sure if it’s the entire range or just the i4M50 but mine is in next week sometime to have it dealt with so hopefully I will know more as to what the recall is next time I post.

At from that I am having issues with stones getting threw into the brake discs and you can imagine what that noise sounds like, once is annoying but this is the second time in a month so it will be something I will be advising the service department about.
Yeah, I had the same problem on my ///M3... a little pebble would get thrown up and lodged between the rotor and the heat shield.... made an awful noise.
      06-03-2022, 01:54 PM   #142
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Ok, BMW have a recall on the i4
What is the recall for ?
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003946.50
      06-03-2022, 02:07 PM   #143
Barnsleyshaun
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330E MSport

Quote:

How did they contact you for the recall? I’ve not had a call or a message in the car/app yet - I’ll keep an eye out.

Edit - found this on the net

https://www.electrive.com/2022/02/02...all-in-the-eu/
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 05:32 PM   #144
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsleyshaun View Post
How did they contact you for the recall? I’ve not had a call or a message in the car/app yet - I’ll keep an eye out.

Edit - found this on the net

https://www.electrive.com/2022/02/02...all-in-the-eu/
Dealer rang whilst I was on holidays, didn’t notice the voice mail until my return. Just read the article in your link so I’m guessing this is it, as far as I am aware mine was the first or in the first handful released for sale so it was probably built in that time period.

Good to know it’s easy enough to sort and the problem is isolated so shouldn’t affect others.

Last edited by footie; 06-04-2022 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003946.50
      06-03-2022, 06:07 PM   #145
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBahn View Post
Yeah, I had the same problem on my ///M3... a little pebble would get thrown up and lodged between the rotor and the heat shield.... made an awful noise.
This was one of the worst things about my 2017 Porsche 911S. The rock noise and heat shield
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 06:00 AM   #146
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch100 View Post
Audi, Jaguar and Land Rover here in So. California take it upon themselves to drill into the front of the cars. HATE it.

Pacific BMW asked me if I wanted the front plate drilled. I replied: not if you want me to buy it

I personally think the polarizing buck teeth front grille is unbearable with a front plate. Just ruins the entire car!!
Agreed. If my state enforced the front plate I would not own my M4 or consider the i4m50.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 07:14 AM   #147
nm-milan
Italy
Rep
Drives: i4 40 e drive

Garage List
Well, to give you an idea….., have driven 1092 km from the day i received the car (28.04.2022 had 8 km on the tachometer ), charged it for 217 kw total. From this it shows me still 63% charged - 303 km. I made around 450km on the highway, the rest in the city. If i am not wrong this means that with 100% fully charged battery you have an autonomy of around 480 km.
I am recharging at max. 50% left, so i do not know if going to 30% will lead to faster dropping of the current left. my position is milan, the car is in a garage and the temperature is around 29 degrees C.
i4 40ev, sapphire black, all options in…….
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 11:32 AM   #148
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Not your typical Northern Ireland weather 🥵
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
deutsch1003946.50