Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

05-23-2022, 04:06 PM   #45
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbm4 View Post
Two demos in my area have what you stated above--Premium pkg and HUD but now the MSRP on those is $72,395.
Uh oh ! Was there a $3000 market adjustment or did the base price go up? Can't say I'm surprised one way or the other.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003946.50
      05-24-2022, 12:10 AM   #46
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

So Im a bit confused. When the preorders came in last year, the expected delivery was June 2022 or summer 2022. Wasnt that correct? So why is everyone who were part of the preorders so frustrated that their cars arent being delivered yet when they werent even promised anything sooner? Even if you ordered in June 2021, the expected delivery was still June 2022 right? Now throw in the chip shortage and the war in Ukraine, you would think that the June 2022 timeline would be unreasonable and that there will be a delay. Saying Ive been waiting since June 2021 for my car makes it seems like the delivery was promised in 2-3 months of the preorder.
What is clear is that BMW doesnt fulfill preorders BEFORE they take in walk ins. It clearly shows that the options selected determine what is being built and what isnt. If its a stripped down version, it appears that they r getting built sooner than fully equipped cars. If its e40, it seems like they r getting built faster than M50 (given one vs 2 motors). So in a sense, if you were BMW, you are trying to make the cars without stopping production and trying to move some of the orders out so when the shortage is corrected, they can go into full production more.
Clearly, having a dealer with 50 preorders does play into when your preorder is going to be fulfilled despite initial predictions. With my dealer, they had 10 preorders of I4 and ALL of them have been fulfilled and now we r into the actual order bank. I feel like people who preordered have a sense of "We should be built first before anyone else" type of mentality when clearly this isnt what BMW is doing. If you look at the Rivian website, it clearly says having a preorder doesnt mean yours will be built first compared to the rest. It just says what options you pick determines when your car will be built. So in essence, this is clearly what BMW is doing without having it written in their website.

I understand the frustrations of those who preordered still waiting for their cars but it doesnt mean someone who came in later and got a car did anything wrong. They were just in the right place and chose the right dealer which with the preorders you werent given a choice. Just my 0.02
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 01:40 AM   #47
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
So Im a bit confused. When the preorders came in last year, the expected delivery was June 2022 or summer 2022. Wasnt that correct? So why is everyone who were part of the preorders so frustrated that their cars arent being delivered yet when they werent even promised anything sooner? Even if you ordered in June 2021, the expected delivery was still June 2022 right? Now throw in the chip shortage and the war in Ukraine, you would think that the June 2022 timeline would be unreasonable and that there will be a delay. Saying Ive been waiting since June 2021 for my car makes it seems like the delivery was promised in 2-3 months of the preorder.
What is clear is that BMW doesnt fulfill preorders BEFORE they take in walk ins. It clearly shows that the options selected determine what is being built and what isnt. If its a stripped down version, it appears that they r getting built sooner than fully equipped cars. If its e40, it seems like they r getting built faster than M50 (given one vs 2 motors). So in a sense, if you were BMW, you are trying to make the cars without stopping production and trying to move some of the orders out so when the shortage is corrected, they can go into full production more.
Clearly, having a dealer with 50 preorders does play into when your preorder is going to be fulfilled despite initial predictions. With my dealer, they had 10 preorders of I4 and ALL of them have been fulfilled and now we r into the actual order bank. I feel like people who preordered have a sense of "We should be built first before anyone else" type of mentality when [...]
BMW promised delivery of June cars by spring.
July cars by summer. So yeah, they should be built at least in the windows that BMW promised. If they are having issues ramping then any new order should take a back seat while they meet a commitment *they* made when we pre-ordered.

Most of those able to get cars as walk ins have been pre-orders that were abondoned and the dealers just reallocated them. Not all but most.

The frustration is not delay in delivery it's the lack of transparency and information. My car was scheduled as week 21 back in January.
April 20th went from order received to scheduled for production on the BMW website. On May 13 it was pulled from the schedule and tagged as no build week available. Right now nobody can tell me why. That's a problem. It does not allow me to make an informed decision if I am willing to dump options to get a car.

We have looked at production numbers on another forum and the order fulfillment looks about right. People that ordered the eDrive40 are getting cars first. That isn't a surprise since BMW indicated that would get priority. M50's are being delivered at a slower rate.

I'm perfectly fine waiting, but tell me what I'm waiting for and give me a real date.
deutsch1003946.50
pjbm413.50
      05-24-2022, 01:45 AM   #48
Antiseptic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i4

What a shame for you all my wife’s fully loaded (apart from Visibility Pack) UK ordered car was ordered in November and delivered a month ago.

Worth the wait….
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 01:57 AM   #49
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiseptic View Post
What a shame for you all my wife’s fully loaded (apart from Visibility Pack) UK ordered car was ordered in November and delivered a month ago.

Worth the wait….
As a US customer I also knew delivery for this side wouldn't start until after European delivery was underway. No surprise.

Congratulations
      05-24-2022, 02:02 AM   #50
Antiseptic
Private First Class
Rep

FWIW the only deletions were the touch iDrive and passenger lumbar support…

Way better car than my LCI 530e M Sport Edition.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 02:06 AM   #51
Antiseptic
Private First Class
Rep

Not seen any other i4’s on the road - but already been targeted by aggressively driven Tesla’s trying to make a point!!!
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003946.50
      05-24-2022, 03:13 AM   #52
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
I'm perfectly fine waiting, but tell me what I'm waiting for and give me a real date.
Tesla gave me the same type of BS a year ago, so I bought a BMW instead.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003946.50
      05-24-2022, 09:02 AM   #53
thevex67
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Dravit Gray/BK G26 i4 M50

I'm being patient. Just brought my M4 in for service today. My i4 M50 was originally scheduled for build week 21. Just checked with sales and now scheduled for build week 23. I expected my car in July and hopefully will still see it then. I want my car built as it was ordered. If I have to a few extra weeks, so be it.
2003 Carbon Bk/BK E46 Coupe (SMG) (traded-in)
Appreciate 3
deutsch1003946.50
techwhiz11856.00
mdrobc13340.50
      05-24-2022, 09:15 AM   #54
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
BMW promised delivery of June cars by spring.
July cars by summer. So yeah, they should be built at least in the windows that BMW promised. If they are having issues ramping then any new order should take a back seat while they meet a commitment *they* made when we pre-ordered.

Most of those able to get cars as walk ins have been pre-orders that were abondoned and the dealers just reallocated them. Not all but most.

The frustration is not delay in delivery it's the lack of transparency and information. My car was scheduled as week 21 back in January.
April 20th went from order received to scheduled for production on the BMW website. On May 13 it was pulled from the schedule and tagged as no build week available. Right now nobody can tell me why. That's a problem. It does not allow me to make an informed decision if I am willing to dump options to get a car.

We have looked at production numbers on another forum and the order fulfillment looks about right. People that ordered the eDrive40 are getting cars first. That isn't a surprise since BMW indicated that would get priority. M50's are being delivered at a slower rate.

I agree with the frustration and lack of transparency, but to say that they should finish the pre-orders first before they do the walk in is a bit too extreme. I think from what you have mentioned in all your previous posts, you have a fully loaded car with options that BMW had mentioned that will delay the car. You werent told about this when you first ordered it and so you didnt have a way of knowing this. But when it became aware, I think you saw the writing on the wall. Since its a lot of money, many of us would rather wait than change our options so things can get built soon. Below is the FAQ from BMW. I think the March 2022 delivery were for European markets and June 2022 was for US. So in a way, your car isnt that far off from being delivered say even by July or Aug, that would be a good thing given all the issues that has happened with the world and the car market. I think its hard to give a timeline as to when people will get their cars due to supply chain issues. If they say, Aug and more things come up, now they have to go back and change it again. Its better to keep people guessing

"Deliveries of the i4 start in March 2022. Delivery times may vary dependent on when your pre-order was placed and when your vehicle has been configured with your selected BMW Center in the fall of 2021. Your configuration, trim and option selections will influence the delivery time of your vehicle, and your BMW Center will provide delivery and timing updates throughout the process.

If you place an order early and receiving early deliver of the i4, your vehicle will be delivered in the June 30, 2022. In the event of a delay, your BMW Center will contact you to fulfill delivery as soon as possible, unless you decide to cancel the pre-order which you may do at any time for a full refund of the down payment"
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 10:23 AM   #55
jeff2.0t
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i, 2019 M4

for some reason IXs are a lot easier to get, it's possible to go to the dealer and get one almost immediately. Is it because they are ugly and nobody wants them? So someone really in trouble with a lease that's ended could theoretically fall back on an IX.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 10:26 AM   #56
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2.0t View Post
for some reason IXs are a lot easier to get, it's possible to go to the dealer and get one almost immediately. Is it because they are ugly and nobody wants them? So someone really in trouble with a lease that's ended could theoretically fall back on an IX.
Quote:
Also very expensive and probably higher margin so they are making plenty of them?
      05-24-2022, 10:39 AM   #57
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
I agree with the frustration and lack of transparency, but to say that they should finish the pre-orders first before they do the walk in is a bit too extreme. I think from what you have mentioned in all your previous posts, you have a fully loaded car with options that BMW had mentioned that will delay the car. You werent told about this when you first ordered it and so you didnt have a way of knowing this. But when it became aware, I think you saw the writing on the wall. Since its a lot of money, many of us would rather wait than change our options so things can get built soon. Below is the FAQ from BMW. I think the March 2022 delivery were for European markets and June 2022 was for US. So in a way, your car isnt that far off from being delivered say even by July or Aug, that would be a good thing given all the issues that has happened with the world and the car market. I think its hard to give a timeline as to when people will get their cars due to supply chain issues. If they say, Aug and more things come up, now they have to go back and change it again. Its better to keep people guessing

"Deliveries of the i4 start in March 2022. Delivery times may vary dependent on when your pre-order was placed and when your vehicle has been configured with your selected BMW Center in the fall of 2021. Your configuration, trim and option selections will influence the delivery time of your vehicle, and your BMW Center will provide delivery and timing updates throughout the process.

If you place an order early and receiving early deliver of the i4, your vehicle will be [...]
Asking that pre-orders be built in the time promised before walk-ins get custom configured cars is not extreme.

We put money down and took a chance on a car we had not driven. We showed BMW there was pent up demand.

You get people that now test drive wanting to jump in line. I'm only asking BMW to deliver the cars they said in the timeframe they promised. If BMW is building canned cars to sell through to dealerships, that's perfectly fine. Factor that in and tell people; "We are building a number of cars with limited options to sell to dealers. It is part of our planning and parts allocation. It also allows us to sell cars to buyers that are not particular about color and options."

What's would not be fine is cars customized like mine being delivered before mine. Is that extreme? I'm fine waiting due to supply chain issues. I'm not okay if BMW is building custom ordered cars before people already waiting. Right now there isn't any real proof that is happening.

My SA nor BMW reached out to me to speak of any delay. My car was moved out of production to a waiting game and not one person has reached out to me as BMW indicated they would. So right now I have no proposed build date after sitting at week build date 21 for almost 4 months and then scheduled for that week for a month. You don't schedule if you don't have parts. Aborting is worse than just slipping.

It's not better to keep people guessing. It's better to keep people informed.

I'm full aware that options influence delivery. But what options? Once again, no transparency. Setting expectations by communication keeps people from being peeved.

It's is only slightly possible that I will get a car by August. If the car was built today, we are talking July delivery at best. Assuming they keep their timeline and the car gets scheduled today, then it's 4 weeks until production that's end of June. Add 8 weeks for shipping, etc to the west coast and we are at the end of August. That's not the beginning of summer, it's the end.

I have no real expectation of getting a car before September. I'd be fine with that if BMW communicated. All I'm Asking For Is TRANSPARENCY.
pjbm413.50
      05-24-2022, 11:11 AM   #58
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Asking that pre-orders be built in the time promised before walk-ins get custom configured cars is not extreme.

We put money down and took a chance on a car we had not driven. We showed BMW there was pent up demand.

You get people that now test drive wanting to jump in line. I'm only asking BMW to deliver the cars they said in the timeframe they promised. If BMW is building canned cars to sell through to dealerships, that's perfectly fine. Factor that in and tell people; "We are building a number of cars with limited options to sell to dealers. It is part of our planning and parts allocation. It also allows us to sell cars to buyers that are not particular about color and options."

What's would not be fine is cars customized like mine being delivered before mine. Is that extreme? I'm fine waiting due to supply chain issues. I'm not okay if BMW is building custom ordered cars before people already waiting. Right now there isn't any real proof that is happening.

My SA nor BMW reached out to me to speak of any delay. My car was moved out of production to a waiting game and not one person has reached out to me as BMW indicated they would. So right now I have no proposed build date after sitting at week build date 21 for almost 4 months and then scheduled for that week for a month. You don't schedule if you don't have parts. Aborting is worse than just slipping.

I'm full aware that options influence delivery. But what options? Once again, no transparency. Setting expectations by communication keeps people from being peeved.

It's is only slightly possible that I will get a car by August. If the car was built today, we are talking July delivery at best. Assuming they keep their timeline and the car gets scheduled today, then it's 4 weeks until production that's end of June. Add 8 weeks for shipping, etc to the west coast and we are at the end of August. That's not the beginning of summer, it's the end.

I have no real expectation of getting a car before September. I'd be fine with that if BMW communicated. All I'm Asking For Is TRANSPARENCY.
I would agree. First, they pull the 1.99% financing that was promised for pre-ordered customers. Next, they don't communicate on production delays or timeframes. We all get what's going on in the world, but everything is speculating and a guessing game.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 11:22 AM   #59
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I agree with you on the transparency and lack of communication. People who preordered arent been given preference and I hope you get your car soon. I wish for those ordering now, a clear guidance on what options lead to delay might be a good way to decrease wait times but with a revolving door of options that are chopped, dont know if we would ever get a clear answer from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 11:29 AM   #60
Flamesofgold
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
I think IX are built in Spartanburg SC. Not 100% sure but I think so
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 11:49 AM   #61
Antiseptic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesofgold View Post
I think IX are built in Spartanburg SC. Not 100% sure but I think so
No Dingolfing only…
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 11:50 AM   #62
Mike i4 M50
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 REX (Solar Orange)

The iX is built at Plant Dingolfing (Germany).

For those who pre-ordered before January 2022 like me, the 1.9% rate is available (up to 60 months) through BMWFS. Evidently, it is in the system as the pre-order 'program rate' however I have not verified this with my local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 11:55 AM   #63
pjbm4
Rep
Drives: BMW i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer666 View Post
Uh oh ! Was there a $3000 market adjustment or did the base price go up? Can't say I'm surprised one way or the other.
Still says $69,395 on the window sticker but listed as $72,395 on their websites.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 12:12 PM   #64
Haywood
Rep

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike i4 M50 View Post
The iX is built at Plant Dingolfing (Germany).

For those who pre-ordered before January 2022 like me, the 1.9% rate is available (up to 60 months) through BMWFS. Evidently, it is in the system as the pre-order 'program rate' however I have not verified this with my local dealer.
Where are you hearing this from? I called BMWFS and they flat out said they will not honor the 1.9% and I would have to take it up with my dealership. Very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 01:09 PM   #65
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Where are you hearing this from? I called BMWFS and they flat out said they will not honor the 1.9% and I would have to take it up with my dealership. Very frustrating.
The dealer only need put in for the pre-order promotion.

The dealer may be trying to screw you to get the margin on financing and that sucks.

My SA sent me a link that had the rate through BMW financial. BMW financial doesn't have visibility to offer you the rate directly. It's supposed to go through the dealer.
      05-24-2022, 01:26 PM   #66
Haywood
Rep

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The dealer only need put in for the pre-order promotion.

The dealer may be trying to screw you to get the margin on financing and that sucks.

My SA sent me a link that had the rate through BMW financial. BMW financial doesn't have visibility to offer you the rate directly. It's supposed to go through the dealer.
Thanks. I haven't really pushed on my dealer yet since we're still a couple of months out on delivery. I also did get 2.49% from credit union. But, I'm definitely going push hard as we get closer. It's easier doing it through BMWFS.
Appreciate 0