Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Rear Spoiler HELP!

03-18-2020, 12:26 AM   #1
hamzag20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, BMW G30 540i

Garage List
I'm having alotta trouble picking out a rear spoiler and I want something that isn't super wild as my car is a lease. What do you guys suggest? Top or Bottom? I prefer bottom because it's a little more lowkey but friends like top.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 03:48 AM   #2
-Nick
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Top (the one on the blue car) as it's like the M Performance OEM shape.

It looks matte though - Definitely get gloss black or carbon
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 11:27 PM   #3
Stevek3670
Rep
Drives: M340i

I'm between both of these spoilers too. I'm actually leaning more towards the CS style spoiler. Seems like all the newer M cars including the M8 and M235i comes with spoilers like these.

But be careful as the M performance spoiler come in two different sizes. I think that the left is a replica of the M performance gloss black spoiler. The picture is not accurate as the picture on the vehicle is of the MP CF spoiler. As far as I can tell, advance tuning and ikon motorsports is the same company and if you look for the ikon motorsports spoiler on amazon you will see what the product actually looks like on the vehicle. Much smaller than what their eBay product page makes it look like.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 05:54 AM   #4
Phippsy81
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport Plu

I removed the original lip spoiler yesterday, and have this ready to go on today hopefully🤞🏼MPF Carbon 👌🏼 I'll post back later if I managed to get it on 👍🏼
Attached Images

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #5
Stevek3670
Rep
Drives: M340i

Oh wow canít wait to see what it looks like on your car. How hard was it to remove the existing adhesive? Also, mind sharing the link to where you got the carbon fiber spoiler? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #6
Phippsy81
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevek3670 View Post
Oh wow can't wait to see what it looks like on your car. How hard was it to remove the existing adhesive? Also, mind sharing the link to where you got the carbon fiber spoiler? Thanks!
Removal wasn't too bad, needed a hairdryer, some dental floss, a little time and some patience... I managed to roll a lot of the first 3/4 of the adhesive off with thumbs (sore today though!) but the last bit was a pain as went back to it after a few hours. Used a plastic card and some Tar and Glue remover, again with some patience! Only had time for a clean today and a bit of correction on the boot in prep for fitting (had to cook Mother's Day lunch - UK) so didn't have a chance to fit after 😢 the Spoiler is OEM M Performance Carbon which I picked up off ebay, from a BMW dealer ebay shop 👍🏼

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #7
-Nick
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phippsy81 View Post
Removal wasn't too bad, needed a hairdryer, some dental floss, a little time and some patience... I managed to roll a lot of the first 3/4 of the adhesive off with thumbs (sore today though!) but the last bit was a pain as went back to it after a few hours. Used a plastic card and some Tar and Glue remover, again with some patience! Only had time for a clean today and a bit of correction on the boot in prep for fitting (had to cook Mother's Day lunch - UK) so didn't have a chance to fit after 😢 the Spoiler is OEM M Performance Carbon which I picked up off ebay, from a BMW dealer ebay shop 👍🏼
No joke my thumb started bleeding under the nail when rolling the adhesive off, definitely not looking forward to removing it once the lease is up!

+1 on a credit card, massive help towards the end.

My dental floss kept breaking also even using a heatgun to warm the adhesive up.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #8
LVm340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nick View Post
Quote:
No joke my thumb started bleeding under the nail when rolling the adhesive off, definitely not looking forward to removing it once the lease is up!

My dental floss kept breaking also even using a heatgun to warm the adhesive up.
Heavy fishing line and adhesive removal eraser on amazon. Total maybe $30. Took me 10 minutes to take off all the mounting tape from removing spoiler. No sore thumbs
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
jstnstr646.00

03-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #9
Phippsy81
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Had the same issue with the floss too, but preferred that option to some fishing line as less abrasive if contact with the panel made 👍🏼 also not looking forward to the idea of removing the MPF Carbon...

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 10:32 AM   #10
Phippsy81
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVm340i View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Heavy fishing line and adhesive removal eraser on amazon. Total maybe $30. Took me 10 minutes to take off all the mounting tape from removing spoiler. No sore thumbs
Yeah, I decided on floss over fishing line for safety purposes, but it was a pain as it regularly snapped!
I was looking at caramel eraser wheels too, wish I got one now as would have saved my thumbs 🤣

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:30 PM   #11
Phippsy81
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

And.... it's on.
Attached Images

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 4
      04-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #12
hamzag20
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Ended up getting the spoiler in the top image. I think it looks great while it's still lowkey.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 06:58 PM   #13
hamzag20
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Some better pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #14
jstnstr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Both of my thumbs thank you sir!
      Yesterday, 07:35 PM   #15
nola2atx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
Quote:
Goddddd I just spent two hours today removing the stock spoiler adhesive. I really should have done that.

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 07:37 PM   #16
jstnstr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola2atx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
Quote:
Goddddd I just spent two hours today removing the stock spoiler adhesive. I really should have done that.
I almost did the other day when I was coating my car but I'm SO glad I waited after seeing this. De-badging the trunk was bad enough
      Today, 05:21 AM   #17
-Nick
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Definitely would have had the spoiler painted, it looks unfinished against the rest of the car
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:29 PM   #18
Phippsy81
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Definitely would have had the spoiler painted, it looks unfinished against the rest of the car
Think I agree. Colour matched, or Gloss black may have finished better :

330i M Sport Plus
Previous- 435D M Sport
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:38 PM   #19
hamzag20
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, will have it painted gloss black
Appreciate 0