Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions New BMW Buyer - Need Help Deciding Between M340i/M440i GC

03-15-2024, 06:09 PM   #67
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSpace View Post
Or just ignore the guy is another option.
He comes into our house and craps on our floor, and you expect us to just ignore it? I am all for turning the other cheek, but not when he attacks our cars incessantly. We have the right to respond.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 06:12 PM   #68
LostInSpace
Private
Rep
Drives: G20, G01, Past: E60, F10, G30

It's just a car. Drive whatever you want to.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 06:25 PM   #69
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSpace View Post
It's just a car. Drive whatever you want to.
It is.

You have the right to your opinion.

I have the right to respond to said opinion.

I have the right to call out bs when I see it.

That’s the funny part about the internet. People love to crap on others, but then get angry/defensive when someone responds… it’s the gift of humanity. Always able to dish it out, but as soon as someone responds, you should ignore them? Come on dude…
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 07:02 PM   #70
LostInSpace
Private
Rep

One day my neighbor, old guy, looked at my m340, for the for the first time, and said: "Is that your girlfriend's car?

I thought it was hilarious.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:06 PM   #71
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post
It is.

You have the right to your opinion.

I have the right to respond to said opinion.

I have the right to call out bs when I see it.

That’s the funny part about the internet. People love to crap on others, but then get angry/defensive when someone responds… it’s the gift of humanity. Always able to dish it out, but as soon as someone responds, you should ignore them? Come on dude…
Exactly. Not to mention, he bumped a thread that was dead and dormant for 5 weeks just because he’s bored on a Friday.

Guy doesn’t own a G2X and trolls G26 owners. Time for him to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 10:16 PM   #72
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Exactly. Not to mention, he bumped a thread that was dead and dormant for 5 weeks just because he’s bored on a Friday.

Guy doesn’t own a G2X and trolls G26 owners. Time for him to go.
He has a nine-year-old car—a great one at that—and wants a new BMW, but has posted that they are too expensive. I agree.

And the new 4 series styling is definitely polarizing, but the 3 series still resembles the old school styling. So, that’s an option—used or new, depending on budget.

There’s bitterness here, but it has less to do with the look of the 4 than that there are few options for the next move when money is tight and you need something with a hatch that is not an SUV—and you prize driving performance.

Where are the reasonably priced BMW wagons? I miss them. And, because of that, I bought the 4 GC, even though I did not love the styling.

I don’t hate it now, because I am delighted to have the performance of this generation of BMWs, with the practicality of the hatch. It’s as close as I can get to a wagon nowadays. This car was a financial stretch, but I love it. It’s truly so perfect in every way. The best BMW I’ve had (and I’ve had many.)

I hope to hold on it to it for nine years as well. And I’m sure I will hate the look of whatever is next. Plus ca change.

It does turn heads and inspires thumbs up. It really is only the old school that is not happy with this car. And I assure you, when you are inside driving it, you don’t care what it looks like. It is truly amazing.

Plus, at this point, I am totally happy with its looks. The old stuff just looks old. Like those E60 5 series. Woof.
'22 M440xi GC (BSM/Tacora) Previous: 2017 M240i Convertible; 2016 X5 50i; 2017 Boxster 718s; 2012 328iT Sport; 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 M3C; 2006 530xiT; 2003 325xiT; 2002 330i Sport; 2001 Z3 2.5; 2001 330i.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 04:49 AM   #73
blue_seather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G26 M440i xDrive

Agreed. The design just grows on you. When the 4 series was announced I commented the hell out of it with my friends. We all thought it looked like crap. Then little by little my mind started getting accustomed to it. I saw the grille blacked out. Then I saw what they did with the Gran Coupe, blacking out the bottom portion too. Then I saw it with an EU front plate. It just got better and better. At this point, it's literally one of my favorite designs ever, and even though I admire the classiness of the 3 series when I see one on the street, it just feels boring and old-ish.

By the way, has anyone seen the original BMW 303 from 1933? I just found out about it, which is quite shameful of me but still, I reckon most of the 4 series grille haters haven't...:

Appreciate 1
toddwalton1310.50
      03-16-2024, 08:12 AM   #74
chutoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Garage List
OP, It really depends on your needs. I chose the 440 over the 340 as I have a family of 4. I’m 5’11” and sat in the back for a 4 hr ride and not that bad height wise but felt not as wide as the drivers seat. Rear view mirror not an issue for me as I learned to drive with a cargo van that had no rear widows.
I also didn’t mind the beaver tooth grill but you can do cosmetic mods to change them too along with the tail lights if you want
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
toddwalton1310.50
      03-17-2024, 09:00 AM   #75
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
He has a nine-year-old car—a great one at that—and wants a new BMW, but has posted that they are too expensive. I agree.
I owned not one but two of his F36 Gran Coupe's and I can tell you now as a G26 owner that the new one blows away the old one in every way. Especially in the looks department. The old GC looked like a stretched 3 Series Sedan. The new GC looks like a completely different car.

Quote:
There’s bitterness here, but it has less to do with the look of the 4 than that there are few options for the next move when money is tight.
Then he should stay in the F30 forum that we all came from and enjoy himself slamming wealthy people over there. Coming in here is inappropriate. Just because he owns a $15,000 BMW doesn't mean those of us who can afford a $60,000 BMW are here to take his abuse.

Quote:
This car was a financial stretch, but I love it. It’s truly so perfect in every way. The best BMW I’ve had (and I’ve had many.)
I agree. It's my 12th BMW, well 15th if you count the ones I drove that belonged to my father when I first got my license, and it is by far the best. It drives and handles like a car that weighs far less. Feels like I'm in an E36 again. Crazy.

Quote:
It does turn heads and inspires thumbs up. It really is only the old school that is not happy with this car. And I assure you, when you are inside driving it, you don’t care what it looks like. It is truly amazing.
Agree again. I get more compliments and thumbs up on this car than any BMW I've ever owned. Forget the weak forumspeak. People in the real world just love this car.

Quote:
Plus, at this point, I am totally happy with its looks. The old stuff just looks old. Like those E60 5 series. Woof.
Yes, some generations of BMW's were really off-brand. The G26 isn't one of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 09:21 AM   #76
LostInSpace
Private
Rep

If BMW brought back the e39 as a brand new car, I'd think about buying it. Same with an e53 X5.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 09:34 AM   #77
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheer View Post
Hello! It’s a pleasure to be a part of the BMW community. This is my first time purchasing a BMW vehicle. A bit of background:

I recently graduated college and have landed a job that allows me to afford vehicles at this price point. I did months of research to see what kind of car I’d want and had decided on the M340i as it seems reliable with its B58 engine, good gas mileage, good trunk space, great performance, pretty much the best all arounder car. Recently, I saw the M440i GC and now I’m a bit lost on what I want between the two. I love the front end of the M340i, but the taillights/rear end of the M440i looks more appealing to me. I know that the interior is the same, engine is the same, power is basically the same, etc. I am just curious that in terms of looks alone, what would you guys prefer and why? What would make you turn your head more?

I would use this car as a daily driver maybe 70-80% of the time (still have my Toyota Corolla as a beater car) whether it’s commuting to work, personal pleasure, going out with friends, or family. Also of course, show it off here and there. I was hoping to get some insight from people on here since a lot of people seem knowledgeable about differences and styling in BMW.

Would appreciate your guys’ feedback, and once again, am happy to be joining this community as a proud new soon-to-be BMW owner!

EDIT: Happy to announce I have put in the order for a brand new 2022 BMW M440i Gran Coupe xDrive. Production is scheduled and I’ll most likely have it by May. Huge thanks to everyone for their inputs and [...]
I was going to comment I love the looks of the m340 mostly because of the grill and good line.

Enjoy the new 440 though!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 09:36 AM   #78
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodandayo View Post
Personally I like the M440i GC design better than the M340i. Trunk space and "uniqueness" factor of the gran coupe form factor are also winners for it. It also has a more modern look that will turn more heads IMO. There's something about the front and rear taillights that I feel are sleeker and more alluring. The sloped roofline also helps the car look sleeker from the side.

Personally I settled on the M340i for other considerations, but if you're asking about looks alone, I'd probably go with the M440i GC.
Any reason why the good line couldn’t have extended to the grill? Do both 3 and 4 use the same hood.

One of the reasons I like the 3 is that seamless look to the hood. If it was curved like the 911 or other cars like mb I’d like it more. But the line is tough on lighter colored cars
Appreciate 0