Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Pedals offset creating discomfort

10-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
Gregus330i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Pedals offset creating discomfort

As above, not solely a RHD car issue but also LHD have the same issue. Basically, my right thigh is almost on top of the seat bolster because the accelerator pedal is simply too far to the right. Visually it looks level with the outer edge of the seat! I thought it was me and kept trying to adjust myself in the seat, shuffling a few millimetres left, but it doesn't work, neither does trying to twist my knee outwards! I'm a slim/medium build 5ft 8 so don't have a strange shape body which may explain the reason for the issue. Really thinking of getting rid of the car as I don't know what the solution is for something like this
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:07 AM   #2
Skeewiff03
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

I would say that it did seem a bit off to me as well the first time I stepped into the car; can't say I have re-noticed ever since then though
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
tosh-ait
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

G20 RHD

I took delivery of my RHD G20 330i a couple of months back. And the pedals placement was quite a negative surprise for me (did not notice it a the test drive).
Most car manufacturers have started placing the brake pedal quite high and away from the gas pedal (because of all the people that can't drive even an automatic nowadays). This alone can be uncomfortable for shorter people like me. And most BMWs have the additioanl issue of a wide center console that does not leave much space for the pedals. And on top of it all, for the G20 some genius has decided to move the seats to the center of the car. The end result is a car that will be very uncomfortable for many drivers. Both me and my wife get leg pain when we drive the G20. Long journeys seem to be ok, but city drivig is really uncomfortable in the car.
At this point I am considering to try and drive the car with both feet (and mess up my driving habits). But it will be probably better to get rid of the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 04:34 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh-ait View Post
And on top of it all, for the G20 some genius has decided to move the seats to the center of the car. The end result is a car that will be very uncomfortable for many drivers. .
Most likely for better crash protection than any other reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 02:17 AM   #5
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Not sure if it is a helps but try the seat squab at different angles and heights. I say this because an outward turned foot’s comfort can be different with the straightness of leg. I had a similar issue in an Audi TT with the legs predominantly in front of you and being slightly elevated. In my X5 I felt discomfort until I had found an optimum position.
Neither my wife nor I have an issue being in the car for long periods in fact I find it very comfortable and perhaps more supportive than the X5 or 435.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Had my G20 330i for six months and never realised the pedals were offset!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 09:12 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack View Post
Had my G20 330i for six months and never realised the pedals were offset!
Offset pedals get mentioned by a few users, for most BMW models. Have done so for years particularly the RHD 'conversion'. I was surprised when I read a post for the F10/11, causing discomfort due to the pedal offset, (RHD). I'd been driving mine for over 2-years at the time, and had never noticed there was any issue, even driving 500 miles in a day.

I've sat in several G20/21 models, set the seat to my typical driving position and never noticed any pedal issue.

I believe some of the issue is how folks set the seat. Some report have back issues, that can't help in any car seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #8
kuki
Poland
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport g20

Hey Gregus330i

Did you find solution to your problem? Looks like I have similar issue with my G20 330i. Are you still driving your 330i?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #9
Raps3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

I’m in exactly the same position.
Offset position is aggravating my back and leg / things muscle.
I’ve only had the car 2 weeks and I’m seriously considering getting rid.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 06:10 AM   #10
JuliusD330e
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G20

Fully agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregus330i View Post
As above, not solely a RHD car issue but also LHD have the same issue. Basically, my right thigh is almost on top of the seat bolster because the accelerator pedal is simply too far to the right. Visually it looks level with the outer edge of the seat! I thought it was me and kept trying to adjust myself in the seat, shuffling a few millimetres left, but it doesn't work, neither does trying to twist my knee outwards! I'm a slim/medium build 5ft 8 so don't have a strange shape body which may explain the reason for the issue. Really thinking of getting rid of the car as I don't know what the solution is for something like this
Fully agree with you. This message is a bit old but I experienced the exact same feelings.
This is my third BMW 3 series. I had previously two F30 models RHD. One of the F30 was manual and I have noticed the offset pedals. The second was an automatic F30. Despite the throttle being in the same position as the manual the offset was less noticeable. I was very happy with those two cars, pretty much faultless during the 4 year ownership with about 60000 miles.
I got my G20 delivered almost two month ago and I still experience the same issues as you. I also wrote to BMW customer service to mention this exact same issue. As other members mentioned most probably the seats are closer to the car centre for safety reasons. In addition to that, the break and throttle pedals are on really different plans probably made for people with 11 or 12 shoe size. This was not the case in the F30 where pedal position was more adapted for heel & toe (unnecessary on automatic). In addition the foot rest / dead pedal is unnecessary big and with almost all models coming as automatic an effort could be made. For example, Porsche are using
I am quite a huge BMW fan, sadly for the moment I am quite disappointed with this model that claimed a return to form mainly because of this position. I was actually planning to buy a sport seat from recaro, corbeau or sparco and install it in the car.
My tips would be. Forget the nice and low driving position. Set the seat a bit higher which acts on the angle of the seat pan making it more horizontal (no matter electric or manual). Once you find the right seat height, get closer to the pedals. You should be able to fully depress the throttle without pain in your foot. In addition, do not bring the heel at the base of the throttle pedal but keep it slightly further away allowing you to switch comfortably to the break pedal. It should be somewhere mid way between the throttle and the break pedal. In addition, I also widened the seat lateral support which acts on the seat pan lateral support. I also noticed that the steering wheel which was perfectly centred on the F30 model is not anymore.
I hope this helps.
I managed to get more comfortable using my racing boots or any thin sole shoes while driving to an event, but I cannot use them on a regular basis. If I am allowed by the forum, please watch the BMW 3 series video on youtube from carwow around 17:40 you will see his foot position. Sadly, I can't drive with my right foot almost horizontally.
I also saw complains from LHD with the dead pedal being to far to the left.
I learned my lesson. Next car order won't be done based on liking the previous models. I saw on this same forum people complaining about the seats being very hard which is true.
On other topics: I have no interest in the amount of gadgets in the car that are mainly there to distract people from driving. I do not see the point of AC menu button instead of AC off/on and air recirculation.
There are quite a few positives needing to be mentioned. In 330e the boot is bigger than before the battery size bigger giving you around 52 mpg. The M sport suspension non adaptive is more compliant on G20 than on F30 models. In addition the 18" wheels come as non run flats which is a real improvement. I find the Vernasca leather to be higher quality / softer than the previous Dakota leather. Also the interior materials seem to be of higher quality than on the F30. The door bins in the F30 were carpeted for less vibration noise. They aren't in the new model but this does not seem to be a problem. On the previous model I had the squeaking shadow line which is not the case now.
I was looking forward to the journey in my previous F30, for the moment I wait for the journey to finish in my new car. Hopefully I will get used and start loving this car.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #11
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

RHD owner here and pleased to read it's not just me.
The pedal position really is poor and makes finding a comfortable position very hard.

I'm doing 4,000 miles a month in mine and really suffering with knee pain. I find I'm almost sat on top of the right bolster with my right thigh.

Angling the front of the seat upwards helps, but it's still far from ideal.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #12
JuliusD330e
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don76 View Post
RHD owner here and pleased to read it's not just me.
The pedal position really is poor and makes finding a comfortable position very hard.

I'm doing 4,000 miles a month in mine and really suffering with knee pain. I find I'm almost sat on top of the right bolster with my right thigh.

Angling the front of the seat upwards helps, but it's still far from ideal.
Thanks for your feedback. Sorry for this experience. I wrote to BMW customer service UK. I mainly praised the previous vehicles but I also mentioned this aspect. I would suggest that as many customers do that. They might end up considering a more clean design. I already contacted a company and try to see if I can swap the driver seat for a Recaro but with the condition to shift it towards the door. Or maybe since the throttle is bolted with one bolt to the floor, I might do another hole and bring it closer to the break pedal (might be the cheaper option)
Actually my tip to place the heel between the throttle and the break is not the correct medical advice. Your right foot should be straight on the throttle coming more naturally towards the inside on the break. However, since the break is so far up, it is almost impossible to do it properly. I actually saw on other forums the same issue on 5 series with sports seats and on one RHD marked website the more pronounced right off-centre
I can't really enjoy the drive to say if I actually like the car or not. It might well look like this is the end of my love affair with BMW and for the RHD market I will most probably look elsewhere e.g. UK or Japanese. Or maybe if we will drive electric in a few years there is no need for such think transmission tunnel. Anyway the design of new M3/M4, 1 series, 4 series, 7 series, all X (not real BMWs) models as well as the i4 really puts me off (maybe the design topic should go elsewhere on the forum)
While I understand the need for the thick transmission tunnel with the engine coupled to the gearbox far back for a 50:50 weight distribution. They should at least use a thinner left foot rest as Porsche does. I believe they have different model of dead pedal for LHD or RHD.
Since this is a company car for the next model, I might go for a cheaper Japanese compact and buy a proper weekend toy like a Lotus or something really sporty. Still a proper M3 E46 CS/CSL or E92 are still valid options.
Appreciate 1
Don76169.00
      10-21-2020, 08:11 AM   #13
JuliusD330e
Registered
Rep

Probably found a temporary solution

I believe I found a way. Maybe the main issue is the seat rather than the pedals. I saw that some people have added foam to the seat. You could either try to find a local shop that cuts it directly on your desired shape or buy something already made (plenty available online).
This solution will diminish a bit the side of the bolsters. I will check if it is possible to actually retrim the seat pan completely.
This is how I got more comfortable today.
Name:  IMG-20201021-WA0001.jpg
Views: 2968
Size:  81.7 KB
Appreciate 0