Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Thoughts on Driving Assistance Professional?

10-16-2019, 11:06 PM   #1
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Thoughts on Driving Assistance Professional?

Thoughts on this package from owners? (Or those who opted out?) it is pretty uncommon, but a car specced to my liking has it included.

I almost would rather go without. I have heard bad things about these features, like them being overzealous and always tugging you around when it thinks you’re leaving your lane. Can you turn these features off?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:13 AM   #2
BigWagonFan
Private
Rep
Drives: G21 330i xDrive

See thread Features you’ve ended up using more than you thought you would as this option has been mentioned there multiple times.

It has a lot of very positive opinions. I can't imagine buying another car without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWagonFan View Post
Guys, I owe you! I never thought I could use or need that. It also costed me a bit - about $2300. I added it after reading your opinions & watching YouTube videos.

It's absolutely incredible. It drives my car for most of the time on highways. I can barely touch the steering wheel and it keeps my car in lane. I don't think one can explain how useful is that. I cannot imagine any next car without such a feature.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 06:26 AM   #3
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
I love it! But it's not full autopilot though. Has it flaws and other drivers sometimes can make it feel a bit jerky because of safety margins. But I use it every single day.
      10-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

For frontal collision. Can you turn OFF the automatic braking and just keep the audible warning?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #5
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

It’s a life saver in heavy traffic. Level 2 autonomous at speeds above 40mph and level 3 at speeds up to 40mph. It significantly reduces the level of stress associated with driving on congested roads. Yes, you do still need to remain vigilant because there’s always going to be that one reckless driver cutting thru lanes, but in my experience, it’s predictable and easy to use. It works best in the left lanes (the lanes without any mergers) because merging vehicles that are slowing down as they merge off the road are still recognized as a car directly in front of you and the car will needlessly slow down.
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #6
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
I love it! But it's not full autopilot though. Has it flaws and other drivers sometimes can make it feel a bit jerky because of safety margins. But I use it every single day.
Up to 40mph i would consider full autopilot because it can drive the car completely for you. Keep in mind people have literally died in Tesla’s with the same level of autonomy because Tesla allows the function at speeds above 40mph... so I’m content with the limitations of the current system.

Because of imperfections such as missing lane markers, missing paint strips, construction zones, non-standard mergers and lane splits, tram lines etcetera, which are confusing to the autopilot systems, you would need a lot of expensive, heavy, and advanced lidar, radar, imaging, processing equipment to handle level 4/5 autonomies. I just don’t see it being an affordable and viable consumer option to put in a compact sedan. Musk says he’ll do it in 2020. I guess we’ll see.

Here in the Bay Area, the traffic is brutal at times and you can sometimes arrive at your destination completely flustered. I’ve noticed a big difference in my stress levels during a congested commute home from work with the pro package. And like all technology, there’s a learning curve and the system gets better the more you use it. The biggest trick is learning to modulate the speed to the road conditions so that it doesn’t accelerate too quickly if there is suddenly a large gap in front of you.... or stop accelerating to match the required speed if the congestion dies down.

https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...s-driving.html
Appreciate 3
      10-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Up to 40mph i would consider full autopilot because it can drive the car completely for you. Keep in mind people have literally died in Tesla’s with the same level of autonomy because Tesla allows the function at speeds above 40mph... so I’m content with the limitations of the current system.

Because of imperfections such as missing lane markers, missing paint strips, construction zones, non-standard mergers and lane splits, tram lines etcetera, which are confusing to the autopilot systems, you would need a lot of expensive, heavy, and advanced lidar, radar, imaging, processing equipment to handle level 4/5 autonomies. I just don’t see it being an affordable and viable consumer option to put in a compact sedan. Musk says he’ll do it in 2020. I guess we’ll see.

Here in the Bay Area, the traffic is brutal at times and you can sometimes arrive at your destination completely flustered. I’ve noticed a big difference in my stress levels during a congested commute home from work with the pro package. And like all technology, there’s a learning curve and the system gets better the more you use it. The biggest trick is learning to modulate the speed to the road conditions so that it doesn’t accelerate too quickly if there is suddenly a large gap in front of you.... or stop accelerating to match the required speed if the congestion dies down.

https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...s-driving.html
"full autopilot" is generally considered to mean that a human driver is not involved at all, you could get in a car and tell it where to go and it will take you there. nobody is even close to full autopilot at the moment.

i'm still wondering if it's possible to customize these settings. i read somewhere that city collision mitigation is always on? and you can't turn it off? as in, you can't tell the car NO, do not brake or steer for me?
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #8
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
You can disable everything, so lane change assist will just be a vibration instead of jerking you back into your lane, automatic braking can be turned off completely or set to a "low" setting, so there is no disadvantage of getting a car with it other than paying extra for it. With that said, I have the automatic braking turned off if the car thinks you're going to hit something at low speed - but everything else is turned on and it doesn't bother me at all.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #9
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbrah View Post
I have heard bad things about these features, like them being overzealous and always tugging you around when it thinks you’re leaving your lane. Can you turn these features off?
Note that lane departure avoidance (or whatever you want to call it) is a standard feature present on all G20s, and not part of the driving assistant professional package.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #10
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

I do not believe lane departure warning is standard on the g20 but I will double check.

I just wanted to make sure I could turn everything off, ALL of it, so I know the car will not brake or steer under any circumstance without me doing it. The “city collision mitigation” didn’t sound like something I wanted since it will supposedly brake AND steer to avoid a crash.. no thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 11:01 PM   #11
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
I do not believe lane departure warning is standard on the g20 but I will double check.

I just wanted to make sure I could turn everything off, ALL of it, so I know the car will not brake or steer under any circumstance without me doing it. The “city collision mitigation” didn’t sound like something I wanted since it will supposedly brake AND steer to avoid a crash.. no thanks
Lane departure can be turned off so it doesn't jerk you back in the lane by braking on one side. I think you can disable the other features as well. The auto emergency braking even when set to further distance only showed a warning on the dash but didn't brake for me as I brakes myself before it would.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #12
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I love it! Wouldn't never buy another car without it.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #13
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

On my G30 the car was ping ponging back and forth on the lane assistant. A fellow forum member suggested unchecking the intervention button on the lane departure warning and that mostly cured the problem. I still only play with the lane assistant on occasion but this might cure your problem.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #14
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

It is brilliant. A big section of my commute is now done solely by the car, very relaxing!
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 09:58 PM   #15
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Lane departure can be turned off so it doesn't jerk you back in the lane by braking on one side. I think you can disable the other features as well. The auto emergency braking even when set to further distance only showed a warning on the dash but didn't brake for me as I brakes myself before it would.
Can you check if you can completely disable the auto braking?

Also, did the warning on your dash come with an audible warning as wel?
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #16
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

No, no audible warning just a red indicator of some sort flashing as I got closer to the car in front. Not sure if you can turn off completely the automatic emergency braking I think you have to be going pretty fast and closing in on the object pretty quickly for it to activate.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 05:47 AM   #17
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
It is brilliant. A big section of my commute is now done solely by the car, very relaxing!
Same here!
      10-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #18
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Can you check if you can completely disable the auto braking?
Available settings are: early, medium or late.

We are talking about potentially saving someone's life so I got it set for "early". It won't trigger in normal driving situations. It's not like the car keeps braking for no reason all the time. I'm using the car for over a month now without a single brake intervention.

Lane departure/lane changing warning and steering intervention can be switched off completely
Attached Images

Last edited by hamera; 10-21-2019 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Additional information
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #19
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

More pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #20
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
Available settings are: early, medium or late.

We are talking about potentially saving someone's life so I got it set for "early". It won't trigger in normal driving situations. It's not like the car keeps braking for no reason all the time. I'm using the car for over a month now without a single brake intervention.

Lane departure/lane changing warning and steering intervention can be switched off completely
What if you press and hold the safety halo button in the center to turn it red? It should turn off all assistance and safety systems unless forward collision braking is still on in that mode?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 03:10 AM   #21
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
What if you press and hold the safety halo button in the center to turn it red? It should turn off all assistance and safety systems unless forward collision braking is still on in that mode?
Good point. I totally forgot about that button.
According to the manual it switches all of the intelligent safety system off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #22
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Hey crazy question, will semiautonomous driving follow the navigation to your destination?
Appreciate 0