Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW Discontinuing BMW Assist Renewals

04-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #199
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinda View Post
They offer 3 options, a $300 gift card, $200 prepaid visa or a combox upgrade retrofit.

If you chose the 3rd and still have active subscription from the old combox, they will carry the remaining on the new combox. You will only start paying for subs once the original runs out on your new combox.
Not for the older CCC system. I suspect older CCC based vehicles will be simply out of luck after their paid subscription expires (which should have already happened by now).
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #200
jinda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Not for the older CCC system. I suspect older CCC based vehicles will be simply out of luck after their paid subscription expires (which should have already happened by now).
From what year back are you referring to?
      04-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #201
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
From what year back are you referring to?
He's asking about the CCC system (the old DVD based system with dual DVD slots).

CCC systems *never* got a Combox, only the CIC systems and not all CIC systems got the Combox. Combox started around 03/2010, I believe, anything older than that uses the old TCU/MULF2 combo.

Basically, if the vehicle doesn't have option code 6VC from the factory, the Combox Next Generation retrofit isn't available and they are pretty much out of luck at this point.
Appreciate 2
jinda16.50
      04-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #202
jinda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
He's asking about the CCC system (the old DVD based system with dual DVD slots).

CCC systems *never* got a Combox, only the CIC systems and not all CIC systems got the Combox. Combox started around 03/2010, I believe, anything older than that uses the old TCU/MULF2 combo.

Basically, if the vehicle doesn't have option code 6VC from the factory, the Combox Next Generation retrofit isn't available and they are pretty much out of luck at this point.
I see. So they still have active subs even going back that far?
      04-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #203
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I see. So they still have active subs even going back that far?
They shouldn't have active subs on older vehicles.

BMW stopped allowing renewals on BMW Assist on any vehicle not equipped with a NBT (all NBT navigation system are 3G equipped) in January 2016, so their subscriptions would expire before January 1 2017 when AT&T shut down their 2G network.

As of January 1 2017, AT&T shutdown the 2G services and any CIC-based vehicle not running a Combox NG will be cut off from service.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #204
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Looks like Canadians are going to get screwed. Rogers is maintaining the 2G network till 2018, just after all the CIC cars go out of warranty.

They are not offering a retrofit here.

Fack!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #205
jrm_at_bimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

My experience in all of this: I have a 2013 328i, purchased in December 2014 as a CPO. At the time, I also bought the extended service contract and the maintenance program (I tend to hold onto cars for a long time, so...)

A couple of months ago, when I discovered that the networking services had stopped working, I poked around this site and some others, got the basic story, and called the dealer's service department, who told me to come into the dealer and talk to a Genius, which I did. I just said that my services had stopped working, and that the service guy said that my contract had ended and that the Genius could get me hooked up again (all of which is true, even if I was maybe playing it a little stupid.)

She dug into it and came back with the explanation about the 2G service going away and that there was nothing to be done, etc. I got a little cranky (but politely so) about the value of the car being decreased, images of my bleeding out after an accident because some beancounter had killed my SOS service, etc. She, to her credit, dug back into her website, talked to people in the service department, and, kind of to my surprise, came back to report that they *would* be able to do an upgrade to the new radio. Once they had my car, it took them a week and a half (!) to get the proper approvals from BMW Galactic Headquarters and to find a replacement box that would work, but, in the end, the radio was put in, and I'm now back on line. So, yay.

Minor notes:

* Looking at the paperwork, there's a reference to the work being done "under goodwill", so I may just have gotten lucky. YMMV.

* It seemed to matter that I had gotten the service contract and maintenance program.

Anyway, good luck to all!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #206
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm_at_bimmer View Post
My experience in all of this: I have a 2013 328i, purchased in December 2014 as a CPO. At the time, I also bought the extended service contract and the maintenance program (I tend to hold onto cars for a long time, so...)

A couple of months ago, when I discovered that the networking services had stopped working, I poked around this site and some others, got the basic story, and called the dealer's service department, who told me to come into the dealer and talk to a Genius, which I did. I just said that my services had stopped working, and that the service guy said that my contract had ended and that the Genius could get me hooked up again (all of which is true, even if I was maybe playing it a little stupid.)

She dug into it and came back with the explanation about the 2G service going away and that there was nothing to be done, etc. I got a little cranky (but politely so) about the value of the car being decreased, images of my bleeding out after an accident because some beancounter had killed my SOS service, etc. She, to her credit, dug back into her website, talked to people in the service department, and, kind of to my surprise, came back to report that they *would* be able to do an upgrade to the new radio. Once they had my car, it took them a week and a half (!) to get the proper approvals from BMW Galactic Headquarters and to find a replacement box that would work, but, in the end, the radio was put in, and I'm now back on line. So, yay.

Minor notes:

* Looking at the paperwork, there's a reference to the work being done "under goodwill", so I may just have gotten lucky. YMMV.

* It seemed to matter that I had gotten the service contract and maintenance program.

Do you know if you'll be able to purchase service after the initial 4 year period, or do they just keep it working till your current contract expires, then you're left with nothing? I believe there are aftermarket solutions for those not eligible for an upgrade through BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #207
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm_at_bimmer View Post

Minor notes:

Yes, you got lucky. Under the terms of the retrofit, your car has to qualify as being able to have the retrofit applied and you have to have current service. The cut off was not due to BMW's fault. It was due to AT&T shutting down the 2G network. A letter was sent out to all people with current service and have cars which can be upgraded. You had to respond back either before your service ended or the network shut down. The letter provided 3 options: 1) get the retrofit done, 2) get a $300 credit for purchases at the BMW accessories store, or 3) $200 Visa card. The network has long been shut down and the fact they did this for you at this point...you should be counting your blessings.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 05:54 AM   #208
ttomczak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 3.5 M-Sport

I had a 2014 X6m and got in under the wire for the retro fit. It installed a new commbox in the rear, this was in January. Since that time , while the assist function works, almost nothing else does with any realibility. The latest thing was now "unable to connect due to ssl cert not being compatible". BMW engineering was brought in and there are about 5 cars in the US with this issue, all 14 6's. Apparently this car was not on the refit list but was added and there is nothing but problems. Enough so that my dealership offered to put me into a newer X (not an M) and may it advantages to me and I took it.

Fwiw, I know a lot about the retrofit and the issues.
2007 X5 E70 4.8i - 2010 X5 E70 3.0i
2016 428ix M-Sport Gran Coupe - 2014 E71 X6M
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #209
Killer-Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E60 M5 & '12 128i ZSP

Been some time since I've posted, but sitting in the '08 M5 after doing winter storage service. As such waiting for car to come to temperature thought I would poke around to see if any solutions for the CCC cars yet? Guess not;( I have a mid year '12 128 as my daily and I opted for the upgraded commbox. The 128i is lacking nav so was surprised when I received the upgrade option. They took one day to install and all tested out; can even use the mobile unlock feature that I didn't have prior.

My main issue though is I always kept the basic safety package on the M5 for theft and death or dismemberment as either is more likely in it then the 1

Hope they come up with a solution for the CCC cars. Won't hold my breath so will start looking for at least aftermarket for theft location device.... still amazing they just don't care after you no longer owe them a payment....

Cheers
Appreciate 0