Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Windscreen scratched in multiple places

03-26-2024, 02:26 PM   #1
G203SBM
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series G20

Windscreen scratched in multiple places

Hi.

My windscreen is being scratched easily I guess by some grit or something in the wipers, I have now got 3 big scratches up my windscreen...

I had new wipers a few weeks back and today I get another big scratch up the full sweep of the wipers

I have never had this issue in my other cars but this windscreen seems to be getting scratched almost for fun? I had more windscreen scratches in the past 6 months than I have had in 25 years.

Wondering if this is a G20 issue, a general BMW issue (This is my 1st bmw) or I am just that unlucky?

If I was to get a new windscreen how could this be avoided in the future seems so pointless to get a new windscreen fr it to just get scratched the next day.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 04:07 PM   #2
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G203SBM View Post
Hi.

My windscreen is being scratched easily I guess by some grit or something in the wipers, I have now got 3 big scratches up my windscreen...

I had new wipers a few weeks back and today I get another big scratch up the full sweep of the wipers

I have never had this issue in my other cars but this windscreen seems to be getting scratched almost for fun? I had more windscreen scratches in the past 6 months than I have had in 25 years.

Wondering if this is a G20 issue, a general BMW issue (This is my 1st bmw) or I am just that unlucky?

If I was to get a new windscreen how could this be avoided in the future seems so pointless to get a new windscreen fr it to just get scratched the next day.
I previouswly had a 2014 Octavia and before I sold that I had a number of scratches on the windscreen that had been caused by grit in the wiper blades, but I must confess I did not clean the wiper blades regularly.

I'm sure some of the scratches I had on my Octavia's side windows were caused by just me scrapping the side of the windows with and ice scrapper (rubber tipped) on those frosty cold mornings we often have up here in autumn, winter and spring.

I've not had any isues yet with my 340i, but I do clean my wiper blades quite regularly in an effort to reduce the risk of the same thing happening on this car, but perhaps the glass on modern windscreens is just softer and more prone to scratching? IDK

I never had an issue with any windscreen scratching prior to owning the Octavia.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 03:04 AM   #3
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Unfortunately it's more and more common now as it seems that the glass being used across most brands is softer now than in the past.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 03:15 AM   #4
Robstokie1974
Private
Rep
Drives: 330e

Sorry to jump on this thread but has anyone else had the trails on the inside of the screen above the demister blower, looks like dirt or moisture and travels up the screen leaving what look like fine scratches but is in fact dirt, annoying
Appreciate 0