Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330e charging itself surprisingly quickly whilst driving

12-22-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
Robsa
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

330e charging itself surprisingly quickly whilst driving

Good evening all

330e driver here

So I was driving today and wanted to save some battery charge for my drive home, but forgot to put it into the battery mode. So, I set it whilst driving and, to my surprise, the car started charging itself as I drove - didn't know it could do this! But, more than this, it was incredibly fast compared to plugging it in to the mains. Has anybody else noticed this? I got about six miles charge in twenty minutes maybe.

Does this tank the petrol MPG? How can it charge the battery so fast compared to mains 10A charging?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #2
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport Plus Edition 2020

That sounds pretty good, what mode were you driving in to get this charge back to the battery?

I’m new to hybrid life so learning still. What exactly does battery mode do ?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 02:54 PM   #3
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveywolves View Post
That sounds pretty good, what mode were you driving in to get this charge back to the battery?

I’m new to hybrid life so learning still. What exactly does battery mode do ?

Battery mode - you set the amount of battery you want to save and it will charge it to/keep that level.

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

False economy, it hits the mpg hugely this way. I mainly use hybrid pro and once the charge runs out it still gives good economy, and it gets energy back from the regen. On a 110 mile trip from manchester today, I started with 14 mile charge, it regenerated 14 miles and did a not too shabby 57mpg. It would have done more but I got bored and started playing with the sports mode!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #5
Robsa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
False economy, it hits the mpg hugely this way. I mainly use hybrid pro and once the charge runs out it still gives good economy, and it gets energy back from the regen. On a 110 mile trip from manchester today, I started with 14 mile charge, it regenerated 14 miles and did a not too shabby 57mpg. It would have done more but I got bored and started playing with the sports mode!
Yeah, I suspected it would hit the petrol, but it's a useful feature as I wanted to show my friend the electric driving in town.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 02:02 PM   #6
eggster91
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
Sorry to jump on this...but would you say that eco pro is more efficient than standard hybrid mode? Or is eco pro better for longer runs with the sat nav running?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
ADIUK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive30e M Sport 2020

Garage List
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1789354
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 03:55 PM   #8
thelegendofyrag
Rep

If I'm on a long run and trying to keep my mpg up I use battery mode on longer downhill sections, once real-time mpg goes below 30mpg I turn battery mode off. I find it's a good way to load up some battery power on the motorway for later in the journey without negatively impacting mpg.

Been a while since I've done long journeys but I'm sure I used to get 1 mile electric charge for nearly 1 mile of driving this way.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 01:07 PM   #9
bray.nick99@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: BMW 330E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_330e View Post
Battery mode - you set the amount of battery you want to save and it will charge it to/keep that level.
On the latest 330e battery mode is now “to reserve charge for a later time” - you can no longer set a range and it only charges when coasting or braking. The only way to charge is to plug it in. Running with the battery mode on hits the MPG (petrol) and still uses electric at low speeds.
Appreciate 0