Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK A big mistake?

01-27-2021, 07:27 AM   #1
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

A big mistake?

Recently bit the bullet and ordered (personal, not lease/company car) a brand new 330e. Then joined this forum and now wondering whether I've made a big mistake! I thought these were supposed to be at the higher end of build quaity, but so far:
  • battery weld issues forcing a recall
  • bass drop issues with the HK amp
  • appauling tyre wear on the rear tyres
  • windscreens that are easily scratched by the wipers
  • hit and miss Gesture Control
  • considerably worse than advertised all-electric range
  • faulty ECUs
  • gearbox oil leaks
  • excessive battery drain while unused
  • unreliable OTA updates
  • overheating wireless charging pad
  • condensation behind windscreen affecting front camera
  • ... probably a load of other things that I've forgotten

...none of which seem to be isolated cases.

(trying to move conversation away from the EU!)
      01-27-2021, 07:39 AM   #2
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Two things:

1) All makes/models will have a list of things like this.
2) We're an exceptionally picky bunch!
Appreciate 1
willougs266.50
      01-27-2021, 07:43 AM   #3
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
2) We're an exceptionally picky bunch!
      01-27-2021, 07:54 AM   #4
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I hope not either as I have a 330i G21 on order. I've had lots of BMWs but the F31 drove me to Audi (literally) and the Audi has been utterly faultless - I hope I don't regret coming back to the fold either as I was offered a slightly better deal on a new Audi. Like you, mine is a personal endeavor, not company supplied.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 08:00 AM   #5
Froggie401
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport

I got a brand new 330e MSport (plus package) last January and I am very disappointed with the windscreen (see other thread). I also get the condensation behind windscreen affecting the front camera (not too big a deal for me). Thankfully, everything else has been okay and the dealership have been great to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 08:02 AM   #6
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Not sure personally how you can question whether buying is a mistake when you're listing faults on a car you haven't received yet. You will never buy a car without questioning it if you apply the same reasoning to any make or model out there.

I've had mine 12 months, now almost 2 years old so one of the very early cars (originally a press car) and the only fault, if that's what you call it, is a recall on the driveshafts which was sorted on my 1st service. Never interrupted my use or thoughts on the car and I have nothing but praise for it, massive step up on the previous 3 series.

Wait till you are sat in the seat and driving the car around and let's hear your impressions then and you may look back on this post and ask the same question, was this post a big mistake.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2021, 08:07 AM   #7
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
Not sure personally how you can question whether buying is a mistake when you're listing faults on a car you haven't received yet
Thats true, and I realise a few of the issues have hopefully been resolved... but when signing on the dotted line, I wasnt considering that I may struggle to even get into the 20's of miles on all electric (when brochure states 37 (and dealer quotes 30+). Nor did I factor in that I may have to be buying replacement tyres every 6 months. And a new windscreen each year. I realise most cars will have build quality issues and was hoping going the BMW route would mitigate those as much as possible, but these seem to be more design flaws.

Quote:
you may look back on this post and ask the same question, was this post a big mistake.
I hope so. Its a fairly large "investment" for me, and one that at the moment, may have been better placed.
      01-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #8
Froggie401
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
Thats true, and I realise a few of the issues have hopefully been resolved... but when signing on the dotted line, I wasnt considering that I may struggle to even get into the 20's of miles on all electric (when brochure states 37 (and dealer quotes 30+). Nor did I factor in that I may have to be buying replacement tyres every 6 months. And a new windscreen each year. I realise most cars will have build quality issues and was hoping going the BMW route would mitigate those as much as possible, but these seem to be more design flaws.

I hope so. Its a fairly large "investment" for me, and one that at the moment, may have been better placed.
It was a massive investment for me too, my first brand new car and I don't regret it for a second. I love my 330e. I went for Portimao blue with oyster interior and the m sport plus package.
Appreciate 3
      01-27-2021, 11:02 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Forums are not always the best place for assessing whether a purchase is good, or not. There is a lot more negative stuff posted, than folks who join simply to say "my car is fantastic". Or, "my car has been faultless for X-years".

As to issues like EV or fuel range and tyre wear, those discussions are as old as time. Too many variables, to make a solid judgement. In my experience over many years, some get "twice as much" or "half as much" as another... both for fuel use or tyre life.

EV range is going to depend on many factors like how you drive, do you pre-condition while plugged into a high output supply, or not? Plus ambient temperature. Looking at Miles per kWh (as per tests) does indicate the full range is possible in 'ideal' conditions.

Tyres, something doesn't add up with some user's experience, (alignment?) when other drivers on the exact same tyres are reporting the figures we would expect from a typical RWD BMW on its rear tyres.

Last edited by HighlandPete; 01-27-2021 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
willougs266.50
      01-27-2021, 11:23 AM   #10
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

It’s not just the BMW PHEV’s that have had issues. I’d question the 330e or any PHEV for a private purchase, I have one purely because it saves me a huge amount on tax, otherwise I’d go for a 320/330i. No PHEV achieves the stated range, nor do BEV’s. Hell I’ve not had a diesel that’s given me the book MPG!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 11:54 AM   #11
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
I’d question the 330e or any PHEV for a private purchase
Needing to replace the current car anyway, the rational behind the purchase was that it will be used for a daily 22 mile commute, to a place of work with free charging points. Therefore offering cheaper motoring during the week, and for the weekend trips to the shops etc.

We went the BMW route to give ourselves a bit of a treat. We've never owned a brand new car before, nor one of the "prestige" brands.

Prior to choosing the 330e we looked at M135i's, a 320d, a 330i and a 330d... and once we saw the 330e wasnt much (if at all) more expensive it seemed the obvious choice. (That was when I stupidly assumed it would actually make it the 22 miles!)

Last edited by willougs; 01-27-2021 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-27-2021, 12:16 PM   #12
xenon
Major General
England
Rep

I agree, even as a private purchase it makes sense if you can do your daily commute on pure EV, as I could given a 14 mile round trip. However I couldn’t get a 330e anywhere near the 330i so even if I charged for free the 330e was still more expensive. Would save nothing on tax as a private purchase.
Appreciate 1
willougs266.50
      01-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #13
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Quote:

It's a large investment for most of us, these aren't cheap cars.

I'm on 14000+ miles and still on the original Pilot 4s's with 4mm tread all round. Original windscreen with nothing other than the odd stone chip, gesture control works perfectly when you suss out where you hand needs to be gesturing.

I presume you did your research regarding the electric range and I haven't seen one review where they say it will do the 35miles stated, just like they don't do the MPG that's stated unless you're cruising down the M6 at 60mph, most people are getting from what I have seen, between 20 -25 depending on the weather.

The build quality is excellent, as good as anything in it's class and far superior to the previous model, the infotainment is still best in class although some people are not keen on the digital dash, I hardly look at it due to having HUD and to be honest, it looks fine to me.

For every complaint you see on the net, there are thousands out there who have no reason to complain because their cars are working perfectly.

One of the great parts of owning a new car is the expectancy of it's arrival and it seems you're ruining that experience for yourself and worrying about things that will probably never happen.

Sit back, watch some reviews and do some reading and enjoy the anticipation of being an owner of the best car in it's class.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 6
      01-27-2021, 12:25 PM   #14
Spenc91
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330e G20

Quote:

Prior to choosing the 330e we looked at M135i's, a 320d, a 330i and a 330d... and once we saw the 330e wasnt much (if at all) more expensive it seemed the obvious choice. (That was when I stupidly assumed it would actually make it the 22 miles!)
My daily commute is 24 miles. Which on a full charge is normally do-able. having said that, that's driving very conservatively which is very hard when most of my commute is country lanes

This is also down due to cold weather! When I first got the car in October I was easily getting high 20's range on full electric
Appreciate 1
willougs266.50
      01-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #15
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

A forum is often an early source of recourse / research into problems with cars. As a result quite a lot of people who have had issues turn to them and as a result a quick read of them suggests that there are loads of problems with certain vehicles.

In reality though the vast majority of buyers are perfectly happy with their cars, indeed most on these forums are. Just remember that BMW sell 500 cars a day in the U.K. most of their owners never come near a place like Bimmerpost.

Some of the things you mention (electric range for instance) are quite true. You are unlikely to get the official range, just like you are unlikely to get the official fuel consumption figures. Even the more recent WLTP figures are still pretty hard to achieve for most people.

In reality though a 330e is an excellent vehicle and is highly likely to offer many years of economical trouble free motoring. Enjoy your purchase.
Appreciate 2
      01-27-2021, 01:02 PM   #16
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
You are unlikely to get the official range, just like you are unlikely to get the official fuel consumption figures.
I dont think I expected the quoted 34-37 miles of all-electric range, however thought 22 should be achievable. Some seem to be struggling for anything in the 20's. That's a massive drop from the claims.

Think some would be disappointed if their 50 mpg diesels were struggling to get 30mpg.
      01-27-2021, 01:03 PM   #17
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

Did you consider a fully electric car, such as an i3?

I'd have thought you should be able to do the 22 miles without using much actual fuel but the range really depends on lots of factors once you start your trip. Running in electric mode, it massively depends on the type of roads, traffic, the gradient, speed, what else you are using (heated seats etc).

I can set off from mine with 24 miles of range (summertime, back when I was allowed to charge!) and driving a mile up the road (a steady uphill, 30mph zone) and the range will easily drop to 16/17 by the time I hit the main road to go downhill. Obviously, you'll get regen to add into the mix but running on pure electric, they really don't get massive range.

But it's a hybrid, not an electric car. So where it does well is in hybrid mode, out on the open roads. I've done a 40-mile round trip out in the peaks and managed 35 of those on electric. Lots of downhill stretches.

I've only done 3.3k since getting the car in June due to working from home and the only issue is the battery recall, which it still hasn't gone in for yet.

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 1
willougs266.50
      01-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #18
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_330e View Post
Did you consider a fully electric car, such as an i3?
Their looks aside, unfortunately i3 is out of the equation as I will occaisonally need to use the car and my commute is much longer, with no easy charging option once there. Plus need to visit distant parents etc and relying solely on battery doesnt sit well with me. Not yet anyway, for my first foray into the EV world.
      01-27-2021, 01:32 PM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I dont think I expected the quoted 34-37 miles of all-electric range, however thought 22 should be achievable. Some seem to be struggling for anything in the 20's. That's a massive drop from the claims.
You have to remember that some won't be driving for EV economy, or even changing their driving style to harvest maximum waste energy.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #20
xenon
Major General
England
Rep

Exactly. Mate of mine got a PHEV purely for BIK reasons, he’s never once plugged it in.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #21
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

Quote:
Their looks aside, unfortunately i3 is out of the equation as I will occaisonally need to use the car and my commute is much longer, with no easy charging option once there. Plus need to visit distant parents etc and relying solely on battery doesnt sit well with me. Not yet anyway, for my first foray into the EV world.
How about hiring a car for when you need it for the long run? That’s the approach I took a few years ago when I decided move from a 7 seater to a Volvo SUV and now the 330e, when I need the space I’ll rent something for a weekend. Same as I would have done if work would allow me to have a Tesla model 3, just hire a car for the summer holiday whilst pocketing the day to day savings.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 01:53 PM   #22
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

I’m getting around 24 miles and had a high of 31 on pure electric. I’m down in Hampshire so a little milder than up north which may help.

Given lockdown I’m basically using electric for the majority of my driving. My last fuel fill up was 38 litres and I’d done 825 miles because I charge every day.
Appreciate 0