Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Charging annoyance

02-05-2021, 03:39 AM   #1
01samuelr
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

Charging annoyance

For some reason the car reverts to 6a when I plug in at home.
I set it to 16a, the car then auto switches it to 10a as it should. The next time I charge it its changed back to 6a.
Is there any way to force the car to remember 16a. Its a pain as I always forget to up the ampage then go to drive it and its only 1/2 charged.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 04:19 AM   #2
k755
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e e89 3.0 Z4

You can check the amperage on your phone via the app and change it I believe.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 02:33 AM   #3
Yorkshire330e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e

I had this, it’s really annoying. Knew from the thread title exactly what this would be about!

My 330e is an October 2019 build. Came with the 3-pin charger that had to be recalled due to the plug size causing issues with some outside plug types...

For roughly the first year of the car I had no problem with this at all, it would correctly select 16a on the fast charger at work, charging points etc and would select 10a at home on the 3 pin plug.

Then for seemingly no reason, it started doing exactly this - dropping the charge to 6a when charging at home. Annoyingly it was intermittent as well, so you didn’t always spot it and would come back to less charge than expected.

I took my car in around December with a number of little niggles, one of them being this. It was also in for the 3-pin charger recall replacement. The dealer said they couldn’t replicate the fault at all and tested a few times. They said they have set it to default to 16a but it’s clever enough to automatically drop it to the applicable rate of the charger being used.

They also did the latest software update at the tome which I think might have been 11.2020-something??

Haven’t had the issue since, a few months now.
Appreciate 0