Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals BKBT's 2021 Black Sapphire Metallic M340i Journal

06-16-2023, 08:57 PM   #1
BKBT
Registered
Rep
Drives: BKBT

BKBT's 2021 Black Sapphire Metallic M340i Journal

Hey everyone!

I'm just sharing a recent car I just purchased, my first-ever German car too. I'm hoping to learn some things from any other M340i and BMW owners here.

This Tuesday I caught a flight out to Baltimore from Orlando to pick up this 2021 BMW M340i xDrive in Black Sapphire Metallic and drove it back that night. What drew me to this car was the previous owner (Leased for 2.5 years) optioned it out very well (probably the most options M340i I could find in my search), you don't see a lot of M340i on the market with a lot of options because I feel most would just stretch to get into an M3 (If you like the G80...).

The car is CPO from BMW and I have bumper to bumper warranty until 2026, unlimited miles. The previous owner had it detailed and had Opti-Coat Pro Plus & headlight film & installed on 12/21/2020 from Rose Detailing in PA.

Here are the options for the car:
Black Sapphire Metallic
Black Leather Blue Stitching
Driving Assistance Package
Driving Assistance Pro Package
Shadowline Package
Parking Assistance Package
Executive Package
Cooling & HP Tire Package
M Adaptive Suspension
Remote Engine Start
Wireless Charging
Harman Kardon Surround Sound
Rear Diffuser
M Performance Rear Trim

Total MSRP: $70,650.00

Being a 2021 it has the quieter less poppy exhaust tune, that's how I found out only the 2020 model got that haha. I'm different from a lot of other owners and prefer the sound of the 2021 model, the artificial overdone pops and bangs are a little childish to me. If a lean condition, controlled misfire, or excess fuel has to be programmed in and it's just not natural backfires like my FD RX7 then I just feel that's silly (No offense to those who love the pop and bangs). If I can find an exhaust that keeps the deeper tone but just amplifies the volume with no drone, that's all I need. Maybe the M Performance exhaust. I'm open to suggestions, not a fan of rasp and drone. I've heard a lot of people suggest just getting a high-flow catted downpipe & that will do it.

The previous owner did add some carbon fiber bits to the car (The front lip has seen better days). It's not the same quality as the M Performance carbon, I'll have to swap those out for some better options. The only carbon that seems to be legit is the M performance rear trim on the diffuser.

I've started looking at upgrades & plans for the next couple of years:
Lowering springs: Dinan
Spacers: ECS Flush Kit 12.5F 15R
Tint: Autobahn or Lumarr Cermanic
Reflectors: IND Painted Reflectors
Badges: Remove carbon stickers on all roundels, maybe IND-painted roundels
Debadge: Rear M340i & xDrive badges
Tune: CarBahn Performance Controller? Suggestion (It's this order shipping my ECU out to Finland to get unlocked? I hear MHD are working on unlockers...)
Exhaust: I don't know yet. I see SuperSprint makes one but has zero videos on it & no valves (Also Turner doesn't sell it anymore). Eisenmann sounds okay but also $4,500 for a rear section... & Dinan drones around 70-80mph. Maybe just a catted downpipe?
Front Lip & Spoiler: I'm not certain yet
Radar: Radenso DS1 hardwire (Nobody makes a USB-C Mirrortap! Maybe I'll make my own)

Any suggestions are welcomed. As for this being my first BMW I love it, the mild hybrid system is awesome. On my way from Baltimore to FL, I averaged 36MPG and a 76mph avg speed, my little Miata cannot even do that! Before hitting all the hills and going 80mph I was getting 38-39MPG.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by BKBT; 06-16-2023 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 3
      08-27-2023, 03:22 AM   #2
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Garage List
FYI this was my lease trade-in.

Carbon on rear trim is actually AutoTeknic diffuser inlay, with OEM m performance gloss trim, the Front lip is AA concepts, rear spoiler is from Kies motorsports, and mirror caps are also Kies motorsports.

I checked every box available except the power close trunk button (sorry). Built her at the beginning of pandemic to my spec and took delivery up near Scranton PA. I couldn’t build the new M3 at the time (wasn’t released yet), and I needed a car, so that’s why I optioned it all the way.

Wife still misses this car, and I do at times when cornering the back roads in PA with my new M550i.

If I could have gotten warranty deal you have, I would have purchased it. I got a great deal on the new car so it all worked out.

You got a good one here. Car was properly broken in, first oil change at 2k miles, never went over 3k rpm first 5k miles, was always serviced at the local BMW dealership, always garage kept, always hand washed, summer wheels were swapped with a full winter set each season...

Involved in one fender bender (sorry!) I was sideswiped and the lady tried to flee the scene. Not smart against the M340i. I was able to chase her down while on phone with police. She was re-coated at Rose Detailing after the repair work. I see they removed my IND painted reflectors and full Llumar tint, that’s a shame.

Take care of her and enjoy her like I did. PM me with any questions if you wish.

Here’s some pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
alpineg20215.50
BKBT4.50
      08-30-2023, 12:09 PM   #3
BKBT
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graaf_Autowerks View Post
FYI this was my lease trade-in.

Carbon on rear trim is actually AutoTeknic diffuser inlay, with OEM m performance gloss trim, the Front lip is AA concepts, rear spoiler is from Kies motorsports, and mirror caps are also Kies motorsports.

I checked every box available except the power close trunk button (sorry). Built her at the beginning of pandemic to my spec and took delivery up near Scranton PA. I couldn’t build the new M3 at the time (wasn’t released yet), and I needed a car, so that’s why I optioned it all the way.

Wife still misses this car, and I do at times when cornering the back roads in PA with my new M550i.

If I could have gotten warranty deal you have, I would have purchased it. I got a great deal on the new car so it all worked out.

You got a good one here. Car was properly broken in, first oil change at 2k miles, never went over 3k rpm first 5k miles, was always serviced at the local BMW dealership, always garage kept, always hand washed, summer wheels were swapped with a full winter set each season...

Involved in one fender bender (sorry!) I was sideswiped and the lady tried to flee the scene. Not smart against the M340i. I was able to chase her down while on phone with police. She was re-coated at Rose Detailing after the repair work. I see they removed my IND painted reflectors and full Llumar tint, that’s a shame.

Take care of her and enjoy her like I did. PM me with any questions if you wish.

Here’s some pics:
Hey Andrew! Glad you found me!

It's good to see that it came from a good home. I've been enjoying it thoroughly! Thank you for all the pictures!

I see the dealership lied to me when I asked if it had been involved in an accident. The Carfax on the car didn't show an accident but the Autocheck said there was one. I asked them if this was an accident or a weird coincidence they were different. They let me know it wasn't in any type of accident and that it was a weird error. Besides that, it's good to see it wasn't a major accident.

It does suck that the dealer did remove the tint and painted reflectors, I guess they need to do that for CPO. Those are both on my list. Tint first, the Florida heat is intense with this car.

I've gone ahead and already installed a resonated AWE Touring exhaust and it sounds great. Not obnoxious like some exhausts.

It does seem the AutoTeknic carbon is way better than the AA and Kies stuff. The front lip is ready for replacement and the rear spoiler is showing a lot of texture (Kies must not clear them and only do resin) and the mirror caps from Kies are starting to yellow slightly (Most likely non-UV stable resin too). So at least I now know to look at AutoTeknic for some stuff.

Being nosey I peeked into your garage and saw you have an Active 2.0 pressure washer setup and what looks like a Mosmatic sprayer and wand setup, would you have happened to get that from ObsessedGarage.com? Just curious because that's where I work.

Thanks once again for the follow-up, I'll get to the PM you sent.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 12:46 PM   #4
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBT View Post

It's good to see that it came from a good home. I've been enjoying it thoroughly! Thank you for all the pictures!

I see the dealership lied to me when I asked if it had been involved in an accident. The Carfax on the car didn't show an accident but the Autocheck said there was one. I asked them if this was an accident or a weird coincidence they were different. They let me know it wasn't in any type of accident and that it was a weird error. Besides that, it's good to see it wasn't a major accident.

It does suck that the dealer did remove the tint and painted reflectors, I guess they need to do that for CPO. Those are both on my list. Tint first, the Florida heat is intense with this car.

I've gone ahead and already installed a resonated AWE Touring exhaust and it sounds great. Not obnoxious like some exhausts.

It does seem the AutoTeknic carbon is way better than the AA and Kies stuff. The front lip is ready for replacement and the rear spoiler is showing a lot of texture (Kies must not clear them and only do resin) and the mirror caps from Kies are starting to yellow slightly (Most likely non-UV stable resin too). So at least I now know to look at AutoTeknic for some stuff.

Being nosey I peeked into your garage and saw you have an Active 2.0 pressure washer setup and what looks like a Mosmatic sprayer and wand setup, would you have happened to get that from ObsessedGarage.com? Just curious because that's where I work.

Hah, I did in fact get my setup from you at OG! Also have the EGO stubby (backorder was brutal lol) from you guys.

Garage flooring is something I’m considering next. I hesitate because I don’t intend on staying here more than 5 years.

Love your guys stuff and a big fan of Matt.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 01:22 PM   #5
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Only thing about the autotecnik diffuser is the top left notch didn’t secure in the OEM trim perfectly. Every now and then it pops out slightly and you gotta push it back in place.

Honestly though I like their carbon. I’ve been disappointed with RW Carbon recently, returned half the items ordered and the one I kept is a little off on fitment. Pretty unacceptable to me for a $900 diffuser but their customer service is garbage and the rep Corey is as helpful as a lump of sh*t.

I’m waiting on getting my new wheels installed, then the front lip, then I will be ready to get my new photos up.

I like what you’ve changed so far. I was really tempted to get that exhaust. Always sounded good on videos I had seen. Glad you’re enjoying the ride.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 05:52 PM   #6
BKBT
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graaf_Autowerks View Post
Only thing about the autotecnik diffuser is the top left notch didn’t secure in the OEM trim perfectly. Every now and then it pops out slightly and you gotta push it back in place.

Honestly though I like their carbon. I’ve been disappointed with RW Carbon recently, returned half the items ordered and the one I kept is a little off on fitment. Pretty unacceptable to me for a $900 diffuser but their customer service is garbage and the rep Corey is as helpful as a lump of sh*t.

I’m waiting on getting my new wheels installed, then the front lip, then I will be ready to get my new photos up.

I like what you’ve changed so far. I was really tempted to get that exhaust. Always sounded good on videos I had seen. Glad you’re enjoying the ride.

If you're looking for some stuff from OG let me know, you can email me at Bryce@ObsessedGarage.com.

The Stubby nozzles were such an issue, they went through probably 10 different revisions until we told Apex Aire it was acceptable, two different countries of manufacture, and maybe 4 different production companies. They're finally at the point of being great. What a headache haha

That's disappointing to hear about RW. I'll turn my eyes to AutoTecknic then. I do like the Adro rear diffuser because it has the side spats that fill in the side profile nicely, I just don't like the rest of the diffuser that much, too much carbon. I wish someone just sold some addon side spats like that. I need to have my friends at 777 Performance 3D scan the car and make some! The Adro side skirts are also nice.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 6.40.01 PM.png
Views: 284
Size:  254.1 KB
Name:  Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 6.42.00 PM.png
Views: 280
Size:  315.6 KB

I've been looking into some wheel options and I think I'm leaning toward the Apex VS-5RS in motorsport gold (Has the M2 CS style champagne gold wheel look). Here's a mock-up I've done. I'm kind of liking the contrast of light gold and black.

Name:  Bmw Wheel Inspo.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  116.4 KB

I didn't see a thread for your M550i, you should definitely make one!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 06:26 PM   #7
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you're looking for some stuff from OG let me know, you can email me at Bryce@ObsessedGarage.com.

The Stubby nozzles were such an issue, they went through probably 10 different revisions until we told Apex Aire it was acceptable, two different countries of manufacture, and maybe 4 different production companies. They're finally at the point of being great. What a headache haha

That's disappointing to hear about RW. I'll turn my eyes to AutoTecknic then. I do like the Adro rear diffuser because it has the side spats that fill in the side profile nicely, I just don't like the rest of the diffuser that much, too much carbon. I wish someone just sold some addon side spats like that. I need to have my friends at 777 Performance 3D scan the car and make some! The Adro side skirts are also nice.

Attachment 3265474
Attachment 3265475

I've been looking into some wheel options and I think I'm leaning toward the Apex VS-5RS in motorsport gold (Has the M2 CS style champagne gold wheel look). Here's a mock-up I've done. I'm kind of liking the contrast of light gold and black.

Attachment 3265477

I didn't see a thread for your M550i, you should definitely make one!
I really like the light gold. Not a big fan of the bronze. I feel like at that point go with black.

I hear you about the diffuser. I am struggling to find one I like. It’s crazy how the LCI version of M550i has like 1 option, while pre-LCI gets dozens of options that look great.

I actually am going to be in need of some things in the near future so I’ll hit you up.
Appreciate 0