Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Need opinions on how to handle rotor damage from road debris - G26

02-09-2024, 04:57 PM   #1
TheKandyman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Need opinions on how to handle rotor damage from road debris - G26

Sometime last week, I noticed a squealing/metal grinding noise from my left front wheel area so I immediately took the car into the dealership expecting a mechanical problem. After inspecting, the shop said there is nothing mechanically wrong with the car but there appears to be something stuck between the backing plate and the rotor, and it has dug up the rotor. My service advisor at the dealership made me believe there could be a lot of damage and it would be expensive to repair, and suggested that I could get my insurance involved. So I opened up an insurance claim.

The insurance adjuster finally got to the dealership today to look at the car and speak with the techs. They estimate that only the rotor and pads need to be replaced as there appears to be no other damage. The insurance company will however only pay for the damaged side. But since these things need to be replaced in pairs, I will be responsible for the cost of the rotor, wear sensor and labor for the other side. Looking at material and labor costs on the insurance repair sheet, this will cost me about $600 - $700 for the one side if done at the dealership, plus my $500 deductible. So in total $1,100 - $1,200 out of pocket. No problem.

But this got me wondering if I could spend that money at an indie shop for same/better OEM parts? I don't race or track the car. Just occasional spirited driving. Another reason for me thinking this option is to back-out of the insurance claim and avoid the collision report that would otherwise go on my car's record (think CarFax report when selling the car).
What do you think? What rotor and pads kit would you suggest that's as good as the OE?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 08:04 AM   #2
chrispy28_xd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m340i

Assuming it was debris that got stuck in between the dust shield and the rotor and the noise is gone, then you shouldn't have to replace anything. Did they send you a picture of the rotor damage? If it's just a bunch of scratches, then that's not a big deal because your pads are scratching the rotor every time you brake. Brake hard a few times while driving a back road, and it should clean it up.

If you really do have to replace the rotors up front, you could purchase OE pads and rotors from FCP Euro for ~$7-800, then have an indie shop install them. It should be cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 08:26 AM   #3
chutoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Garage List
You’ll eventually have to replace your rotors and pads due to wear and tear, so why do it earlier unless the damage was significant. Would your premium go up if you make a claim?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 11:26 AM   #4
TheKandyman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutoy View Post
You’ll eventually have to replace your rotors and pads due to wear and tear, so why do it earlier unless the damage was significant. Would your premium go up if you make a claim?
Dealership repair shop says the rotor is damaged enough that it needs to be replaced now. Premium could certainly go up if I go through with the claim because it will be recorded as a "collision". It will likely also show up in Carfax reports.

The more I think about this, the more I feel like I should just fix it out of pocket at an indie shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 11:36 AM   #5
TheKandyman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy28_xd View Post
Assuming it was debris that got stuck in between the dust shield and the rotor and the noise is gone, then you shouldn't have to replace anything. Did they send you a picture of the rotor damage? If it's just a bunch of scratches, then that's not a big deal because your pads are scratching the rotor every time you brake. Brake hard a few times while driving a back road, and it should clean it up.

If you really do have to replace the rotors up front, you could purchase OE pads and rotors from FCP Euro for ~$7-800, then have an indie shop install them. It should be cheaper.
Funny thing is the debris (and grinding noise) is still there. Dealer has not yet taken it out. They were waiting for insurance authorization or my approval to pay out of pocket for the repairs. I have some pictures which shows one or two circular grooves on the backside of the rotor.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 11:41 AM   #6
TheKandyman
First Lieutenant
Rep

This is the clearest picture I have of the damage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 12:13 PM   #7
chrispy28_xd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m340i

Ah yeah it looks rough. If you know someone who has the tools and can DIY, replacing a single rotor will run you ~$200. Personally, I'd work with an indie shop for this one.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2024, 11:14 PM   #8
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

There are posts on this. Common issue. The angle of the heat/dust shield is in perfect alignment with tie rod. When a small rock/stone hits the tie rod it can throw it right in-between the rotor and shield.

Happened to me. I immediately pulled over, took wheel off and with a screwdriver pried the stone out. All was fine. But it did make a hell of a squeal.

Later I pulled both front wheel off and bent the shields so this would not happen again.

Essentially there is a section at the top front of the shields and it is bent in, towards center of vehicle. That's the problem. I bent mine back so it's straight/vertical and the problem is solved.
Appreciate 3