Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Install 330i sport line suspension on m340 passive m sport.

08-14-2023, 09:26 PM   #1
Adam_h
Rep
Drives: m340i

Install 330i sport line suspension on m340 passive m sport.

Hi, I am trying to soften the ride of my rwd m340i. Does anybody know if the standard oem 330i will fit the m340i properly? From my understanding the only difference between the two suspension is the stiffness of springs and dampers. I don’t mind some body roll on tight corners. It’s hard to drive fast with such a bumpy ride.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 07:03 PM   #2
GreenStreet
Rep
Drives: 330

Im considering the same question, but for a 330 with the m sport suspension. The parts department at my local dealer confirmed the dampers and springs can be swapped for the sport line components and I would guess is this holds true for your m340 as well.

My understanding is the m sport suspension has more robust control arms (okay to keep these), but you may need different bump stops which are cheap rubber pieces.

BMW estimated ~$3k for springs and dampers alone. Some forum members may recommend a set of aftermarket coilovers (Ohlins, KW, etc.), however this did not appeal to me because these options would lower the vehicle by 3-5cm. Another option is to buy a set of Bilstein B4 dampers that are intended as an OE replacement for the stock dampers at a reasonable price, plus the sport line springs.

One thing to note is retrofitting the standard suspension will raise your vehicle by 1cm due to the different springs, which seems reasonable for increased comfort. Curious what you decide as I am in the same boat!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 09:31 AM   #3
Adam_h
Rep
Drives: m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenStreet View Post
Im considering the same question, but for a 330 with the m sport suspension. The parts department at my local dealer confirmed the dampers and springs can be swapped for the sport line components and I would guess is this holds true for your m340 as well.

My understanding is the m sport suspension has more robust control arms (okay to keep these), but you may need different bump stops which are cheap rubber pieces.

BMW estimated ~$3k for springs and dampers alone. Some forum members may recommend a set of aftermarket coilovers (Ohlins, KW, etc.), however this did not appeal to me because these options would lower the vehicle by 3-5cm. Another option is to buy a set of Bilstein B4 dampers that are intended as an OE replacement for the stock dampers at a reasonable price, plus the sport line springs.

One thing to note is retrofitting the standard suspension will raise your vehicle by 1cm due to the different springs, which seems reasonable for increased comfort. Curious what you decide as I am in the same boat!
Hey, changing suspension for you is much simpler than me because you are with in the same model and weight that the base 330 suspension was made for. I recently drove the base 330 and the suspension is softer by about 30 percent. The potholes and manholes hits are less impactful to your body. the car rolls a bit more in turns with the base suspension. I did not do any suspension work, I down graded to 18 inch wheels and comfortable went up by about 15 percent. Did you decide on what to do?

Last edited by Adam_h; 03-05-2024 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0