Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics OBD port GPS removal

02-25-2024, 07:31 PM   #1
lautobahn
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330e

OBD port GPS removal

Hey y’all!

Just got my 330e G20 and couldn’t be happier with it. However, I think something is in my car that shouldn’t be.

Long story short, bought the car used and they tried to sell me the Kahu GPS unit. Put my foot down said I’m not paying for it for a multitude of reasons (mainly privacy). The sales guy said he’d give me the GPS unit that was installed when it was first sold to them (they do it to all of their cars and said it’s just a pass through on the OBD, so no spliced wires). Well when I received the car, what I believed to be the GPS unit was sitting in the console. Awesome, they listened to me.

Well it’s about 2 days later and I decided to just look at the unit. And well it looked “too new” to be in the car. As if it was just taken off a shelf.

Checked the S/N against the one on the paper that I signed to decline it and it was not the same one. So I’m thinking the actual one is still the car at the moment.

I’d like to get under the footwell/wheel area and look. However, I’d like not to fry my car whilst doing it if I find it and disconnect it. I’m thinking of disconnecting the battery in the back and also the high voltage system (hybrid).

These two things seem good enough for me, but anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 10:36 PM   #2
lautobahn
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330e

Update: pulled the panel apart to look under and the OBD pass through port was disconnected so it seems they pulled it off. I also didn't see any spliced wires or anything that did not look factory.
Appreciate 0