Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums USA - California AC weird smell on startup.

07-21-2023, 01:16 AM   #1
Stormi1701
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

AC weird smell on startup.

So I recently bought a 2019 330i RWD. The AC system seem to be having a weird smell on startup and it goes away after a few minutes. I saw a few posts on similar issues and a lawsuit for the HVAC having mold/mildew growth issue. I saw a few fixes like spraying lysol through the outside air intake vent through the engine bay and turning the system on max will its in the fresh air mode. Im not able to find the outiside air vent in the engine bay. Any pointers or other ways to fix would be appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2023, 09:24 AM   #2
Usachampion
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i, F87 M2C

You ever fix the issue? I had it on my X3 as well and after I changed the AC recirculation mode from “Auto” to “Fresh Air”, changed the cabin air filter, and then set the fine control temperature dial to the middle (between blue and red) the smell faded over time.

Now with my new M440i I set it immediately to fresh air and it hasn’t been an issue. Has about 9k miles now.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 04:39 AM   #3
jawgemo
Registered
Rep
Drives: m340i

Had the same issue was left the A/C unit on so it can ventilate, leaving the A/C on AUTO as well for the past 1-2 weeks have been helping out doesnt have a noticeable smell at all. Will be taking it to the dealership to see if they can go through the center console and see of any HVAC stuff. Best of luck
Appreciate 0