Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Waze turn by turn instructions on the HUD

03-10-2024, 12:59 AM   #23
blue_seather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G26 M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMaximus View Post
Which category did you pick when filing your ticket?
A "map error" seemed closest and that way they gave me a couple of fields to fill, along a plain text explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
To get the alerts I want, I run the Highway Radar app and use a SABRE plugin for the crowd source data. It doesn't hurt that in integrates with my R8 either.

So I have the benefits of Google's routing and all of the alerts.
Can you please elaborate? That sounds really interesting. I need Waze mostly for police and pothole notifications. But if I can get them somewhere else that would be brilliant.

Last edited by blue_seather; 03-10-2024 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 04:30 AM   #24
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive Touring LCI

I just submitted a ticket and went with "Other" when asked to provide a topic and learned how making sure to first be logged in with my Waze account was a good idea 💡 This time, I even received a ticket number👍

Let's hope as many of us as possible will do the same thing! Also, let's try to spread the word to other places where the same issue is discussed. I know this isn't an issue specific to iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 12:02 AM   #25
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 XM,'21 45e 'Lemon', '23 45e

Quote:
I just submitted a ticket and went with "Other" when asked to provide a topic and learned how making sure to first be logged in with my Waze account was a good idea 💡 This time, I even received a ticket number👍

Let's hope as many of us as possible will do the same thing! Also, let's try to spread the word to other places where the same issue is discussed. I know this isn't an issue specific to iDrive.
I just bought a new XM and was freaking out on the way home thinking I was doing something wrong until I searched the web and saw this was truly an issue.
I just submitted a ticket and asked the developer reading it to pass my request on to the appropriate SW dev team. I hope they can fix it. Believe it or not, I've submitted several map change requests w/ Waze over the years, and they fix these requests.
I'll try your workaround.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 01:26 AM   #26
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330d Xdrive

I also entered a trouble ticket in their system. Reported 3 main issue I have with Waze:
1) hijacking both screens(IC & infotainment) when launched even without route guidance active
2) no IC integration - just logo when using it
3) no HUD mini-map and turn by turn instructions.

Got a ticket number confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 08:06 PM   #27
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 XM,'21 45e 'Lemon', '23 45e

ok, this is the response I got from WAZE already:

Unfortunately, In this situation, there is nothing wrong with the map that we can adjust to prevent issues with the app. Please report this to https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6276841 I provided that above as a way to provide feedback to staff. Your submission you reported is for map errors or issues. While we are appreciative of your feedback, there is nothing we can do at the volunteer level. This also may be a case of the car manufacturer and their limitations or features they provide. I can't know for sure, but that is something that either Waze staff needs to know about above, which may be limited already by BMW and their template of things they would allow in the HUD. Either way, the message submitted is going to us as volunteer map editors, and we are unable to do anything further with it. Sorry we couldn't be of any further assistance, hopefully the link above may be of more help or get it going in the right direction. Thank you!

Problem is that link brings us right back to the same place. Wtf ? I can't find a way to submit a ticket. There is a suggestion box but that's lame.

Last edited by leightos; 03-11-2024 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 01:57 AM   #28
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leightos View Post
I can't find a way to submit a ticket. There is a suggestion box but that's lame.
Make sure to be logged in with your Waze account before trying to submit a ticket. That seems to give you additional options, check my post above.
Appreciate 1
zlatko117.50
      03-12-2024, 07:51 AM   #29
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_seather View Post
Can you please elaborate? That sounds really interesting. I need Waze mostly for police and pothole notifications. But if I can get them somewhere else that would be brilliant.
Highway Radar is an app for Android, iPhone is in beta, that you can run alone or to supplement a radar detector. It is like Waze on a boat load of steroids. I run it in conjunction with a Uniden R8. BTW, the R8 is amazing.

The app supports crowd sourced data and/or a plugin called SABRE. When using SABRE it even searches airplane databases to try to identify potential municipal aircraft.

It does require the user to setup the crowd sourced data but it is pretty straight forward. It also has a lot of settings you can tweak so you might need to do some research to determine what works best for you. This is also pretty straight forward though.

I recommend checking out the forum for further info.

https://www.rdforum.org/forums/268/
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2024, 11:55 AM   #30
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep

I just got reply from Waze Support Team requestion debug data logs. I don't think they really understood the issues I reported, the reply is pretty generic. Will provide them with logs and see how it goes from there.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 12:42 PM   #31
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

I also got a reply from them and will try to make a short video clip so they can clearly see the issue.

Let's keep our fingers crossed this could be the start of actually having the issue addressed now when we finally seem to have their attention.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 04:19 PM   #32
blue_seather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G26 M440i xDrive

Same - they require logs. Seems like a generic response as the repro is super easy even without them. I'll try to provide them some logs in a couple of days anyway.
Appreciate 1
leightos188.50
      03-12-2024, 04:21 PM   #33
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

I clearly demonstrated the issue in a video clip tonight which I shared with them.

Let's see what they say.
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2024, 09:49 AM   #34
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep

I tried to provide logs, but the instructions are not clear and there are some inconsistencies in them:

10. Disconnect your device from your Android Auto unit
11. Open Waze on your Android Auto unit
12. Tap
13. Scroll down and tap Debug
14. Tap Settings
15. Scroll down and tap Send logs
16. Tap Yes and wait for a confirmation message

How can I "open Waze on my AA unit" in step 11) if at step 10) I was asked to disconnect my devices from AA?!

Anyway when clicking YES in step 16) I do not get confirmation from AA that the logs were sent to Waze support.

How has that gone for you guys?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 10:00 AM   #35
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

I haven't been asked to send any log files yet. Which I'm happy for after reading your post above 🙂

They thanked me for the video clip and asked me for my Waze account information and the version of AA, the model of my car etc.

Again, let's see what will happen but at least we got some attention now which feels great!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:00 AM   #36
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

After answering the same questions over and over again a couple of times, I now received this response from the Waze Support team.

"It's been passed on to the appropriate team. For the meantime, if there will be any updates, I will get in touch to let you know.

Again, we are grateful for your patience while we look into this more."

This could of course mean they are actually looking into it where we can only hope they will figure it out and have the issue addressed but...could also be a polite way saying "It's on our to-do list and maybe one day, we'll get to it..."

At least, we've now done what we can to have the issue fixed by providing both information they asked for, log files and also the video clip I sent them, demonstrating the issue.

So let's continue to keep our fingers crossed!
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2024, 08:59 AM   #37
Zeros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e & 2013 528i

Still nothing, huh? So frustrating. I recently switched from Android to iPhone and now have no way to get Waze directions in the HUD. At least on Android I had the workaround of opening and closing google maps first, then Waze.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 09:02 AM   #38
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

Yeah, it's both sad and frustrating when I like to think it can't be too hard for them to have it addressed.

Clearly, the tech is in place. It's just that it's not triggered by Waze for whatever reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 12:34 PM   #39
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep

I gave up on Waze. I run Google maps and for alerts I use the Highway Radar app. It is the best of both words except highway Radar is light years better than Waze for alerts.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 12:42 PM   #40
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

Is Highway Radar also community-based, meaning other users will report speed traps etc or how does it work?

Also, is it available everywhere or just in certain areas?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 01:09 PM   #41
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Is Highway Radar also community-based, meaning other users will report speed traps etc or how does it work?

Also, is it available everywhere or just in certain areas?
Community and database. For example, it uses Flight Aware to alert for civil aircraft and you can add from a variety of community databases.

It also gives highly accurate locations with a directional arrow. It will say "Cop spotted 4 minutes ago on xx road opposite side where the speed limit is xx". It also give a heat map based on historical data.

It is a fantastic app.

fyi, I do not work for them or get any compensation.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 01:53 PM   #42
WebMaximus
Private
Sweden
Rep

Sounds interesting, might check it out.

The downside I see is how I need to have my mobile phone mounted in the car. Where I love to no longer need that when finally having a car with its own display for Waze or whatever you prefer for the map and navigation.
Appreciate 0