Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics 22 M340i Electrical Issue

01-12-2024, 06:16 PM   #1
Danny6799
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i 2022

22 M340i Electrical Issue

Yesterday morning I went to turn on my car and drove around for about 5 minutes, then received a “power supply” warning while driving. My car then lost power and I had to pull over to the side of the road.

I have a battery voltage gauge on my steering wheel that tells me how many volts the battery is at. It always reads 14.5v but it was reading 10v and steadily going down. I thought maybe I needed a jump however when jumping the car, as soon as I removed the jumper cables the car would die out and shut off.

I had to get the car towed back to my BMW service center. They called me today and told me that they replaced the battery however they need a BMW engineer to look at the car because they noticed some codes on the car that didn’t look normal.

The advisor then told me “what kind of tune are you running” I told him I’m not tuned however I do have some different things flashed to the car with Bimmer code (I am tuned with BM3 though.) he said that they have to have BMW approve the claim so they can finish the diagnostics on my car which is going to take about a week. I asked him if I was tuned how would it affect the electrical system and he said because you’d be overworking it by tuning the car.

I’ve read up on the magnussen law that states that any modifications will only void the warranty for the things that you are modifying (I.E engine warranty for engine tune) I’m curious too see if they will cover the alternator under warranty even though the car is tuned.

Do you guys think that I’m screwed or that they will cover the issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 08:37 AM   #2
dudley@07726
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB E400 Cp, 2016 Audi A6

It wouldn't shock me. You run a risk modifying the car while under warranty.