Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Brakes feel grabby towards the end.

09-02-2022, 04:25 PM   #23
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

The brake pedal feels very different when the car has load vs. when the car shuts off in the last 10mph or so (in comfort or eco). So the pedal would become "soft", almost feels like brake fades after being the track for a long time.

You would have the unnecessary hard braking feel like you just learned how to drive.

No way around it except drive in Sport mode since there is no Auto/off button anymore. or Like other said, you could also code the auto/off feature off in comfort.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 04:28 PM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
The brake pedal feels very different when the car has load vs. when the car shuts off in the last 10mph or so (in comfort or eco). So the pedal would become "soft", almost feels like brake fades after being the track for a long time.
Are you saying the opposite to 'grabby' brakes, your bakes go softer as you come to a halt?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 04:33 PM   #25
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Yup, my 430 makes it look like I'm in driver's ed class when I'm trying to inch up.
It is especially annoying when i am trying to park in my garage and i need the extra few inches in the front to close the door. It is so difficult to move the last few inches. I usually have to turn the car to sport just move the last few inches smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 04:37 PM   #26
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Are you saying the opposite to 'grabby' brakes, your bakes go softer as you come to a halt?
No. The pedal feels softer when the engine is off, thus the pedal sinks in more than anticipated, results in hard braking. I think "Grabby" brake is sensitive/hard braking right?

Quote:
braking is generally linear until the end (when the car is maybe under 10mph), when without me increasing brake pedal pressure, the brakes seem to grab more and brake harder
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 04:42 PM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It is especially annoying when i am trying to park in my garage and i need the extra few inches in the front to close the door. It is so difficult to move the last few inches. I usually have to turn the car to sport just move the last few inches smoothly.
I'm not understanding this... An auto that can't gently inch forward?

Or is this MHT with the engine off, electric motor only?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 04:48 PM   #28
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm not understanding this... An auto that can't gently inch forward?

Or is this MHT with the engine off, electric motor only?
It is the MH. you wont have this "issue" if the engine doesnt shut off.

When the car shuts off and stops short - several inches from the wall and you need to move up a few more inches, it is scary to restart the car with brake pedal to move a few inches forward. You will have to release the brake to restart the car and with a wall in you face, you dont know how far the car will go when you releasing the brake when there is a wall several inches in front of you.

MH ASS shuts off the car too early/too soon compare to non-MH ASS.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 05:03 PM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It is the MH. you wont have this "issue" if the engine doesnt shut off.

When the car shuts off and stops short - several inches from the wall and you need to move up a few more inches, it is scary to restart the car with brake pedal to move a few inches forward. You will have to release the brake to restart the car and with a wall in you face, you dont know how far the car will go when you releasing the brake when there is a wall several inches in front of you.

MH ASS shuts off the car too early/too soon compare to non-MH ASS.
Ah got it, we have discussed this before, haven't we?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 05:22 PM   #30
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Maybe.. i dont remember when.

Funny, i just asked the dealer to see if they could code it off for me (in comfort) since they did something similar for my F30 335i.

They said "It is a safety feature and BMW does not allow them to turn it off"

Sure it is a safety feature to get turn off on its own in Sport mode. Unless Sport mode is not safe, otherwise, how is that a safety feature.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 06:26 PM   #31
elambo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440i convertible

My M440i brakes have always been grabby in Sport mode and after exhibiting this for 8,000 miles I doubt it will change soon. Any other driving mode and it's a different game. I get what people are talking about when using the motor (I still don't like how this car handles low speeds in Comfort/Econ/Etc.) but the grabbiness is something different altogether, and it seems to be typical, at least for certain driving modes in certain models. Coincidentally, my previous car (Alfa Romeo Giulia QV) responded in precisely the same way when flipping through modes, with perhaps a touch more last-minute grabbing before the car rolls to a stop. Annoying, but you tend to adjust for it rather quickly.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 09:23 PM   #32
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Yup, my 430 makes it look like I'm in driver's ed class when I'm trying to inch up.
Mine doesn't have anything to do with ASS, I have a button to turn it off, and it's the 2nd button I hit every time I get in my car. It's just grabby brakes at low speeds in my case
      12-13-2023, 01:23 PM   #33
340TBD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: B58, N54

Same on 21 m340i drive me nuts
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 12:23 PM   #34
blue_seather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G26 M440i xDrive

Has anyone noticed their brakes being too light at the top, but only sometimes? M440i mild hybrid G26 here with the M Technology Package (ZTK). Seems like for the first 1500 miles or so, the brakes were consistently grabby. Now, after having the car broken in, while driving in Comfort, the brakes are sometimes grabby with some resistance (what I'd consider normal) right from the very top (on the initial push) but sometimes they are super light at the top and some resistance accumulates only after being pushed a bit lower. Seems very inconsistent and I'm not sure if that's how it should be.

Also, when they're light at the top, they seem to have no dampening in the reverse direction either, as releasing my foot from them quickly results in a completely undampened quick release of the pedal with an annoying metallic clank sound at the very end when they "top out" in place. In the occasions the pedal has resistance through the whole push, the release is perfectly normally dampened.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 02:16 PM   #35
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330d Xdrive

blue_seather - I used to have similar experience/feeling to what you are describing, especially I remember the "clunk" sound/feeling on pedal release. That was probably first 3-4 months I had the car. After may be 5-6-7 000km it either went away or I got used to it. Then I just felt the brakes grabby at time or inconsistent - like I was not able to properly dose my brake effort to stop to a standstill from 30-40km/h in city driving. Currently(@14000km) I don't feel neither, probably recalibrated my senses to the "new normal" braking behaviour of this car.
Appreciate 1