Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes G20 Adaptive M Suspention - Creaking noise

12-21-2023, 07:34 AM   #1
deeJayOg
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

Question G20 Adaptive M Suspention - Creaking noise

Anybody else have this issue?

My 330e with 50000km on board has some weird noises coming from the front of the car after the weather cooled a bit.

Basically, the first time the car goes over bigger speed bumps or maybe a pothole or something, I hear a creaking noise coming from the front of the car (it seems it's both left and right - if you only take the bump with left is just left or vice-versa).

The noise is close to something like metal creaking just as you pass the bump.

I have checked the car at a BMW Dealer as well as an independent BMW service, no one found any issues with the suspension or anything. I have several new components there as well such as lower arms and tie rods, tie rod ends...etc This noise was there before these as well.

Now, the weird part is the noise can be heard ONLY when it's cold outside and only for the 1st or 2nd time the suspension needs to do a longer travel (so bigger speed bumps or potholes).

Once it creaks once, it goes away for the whole trip or day (so the car has to cool down a lot to get the noise back - usually overnight). I can not reproduce the noise otherwise whatever I try. All is smooth.

BMW tells me that this type of noise is "normal" on the Adaptive M Suspension and that it takes a bit for the oils inside to warm up.
Now, what they say is indeed what happens with the car, but my logic tells me it's stupid for a 60000EUR car to creak like cheap vehicle from 30 years ago.

What do you people think about this? Should I believe BMW? Is it normal? I mean 2 totally different shops said nothing looks suspicious on the front end of the car.
      01-11-2024, 02:20 AM   #2
deeJayOg
Rep

Started digging around online and discussing it with more owners of 330e/330i/340i.

Seems it might actually be "normal" - Combined M Sport Brakes (blue calipers) and Adaptive M Suspension can lead to this sort of behavior. But it's not 100% to all users, altough it's common enough it seems to be considered "normal"
      01-11-2024, 02:55 PM   #3
Scrupix
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
I have exactly the same issue with my 330e, same blue calipers M suspension
Very annoing for such a car
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2024, 04:12 PM   #4
gavinwong
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 G20 330e  [9.00]
Yeah I’m getting some weird noises too especially since it’s gone below 0c recently. I thought it was tyre crabbing as I got new tyres in December. I’m in 2020 330e.
For me it isn’t going over any bumps etc, but when I back out of my parking space in full lock. Can’t replicate it at any other time unless it’s been sat for hours in the cold. It seemed to be ok one morning when it was back to 8c. Have to have a check done in feb so was gonna mention it then.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2024, 01:02 PM   #5
CaleCro
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 ///M340i xDrive

Garage List
Any info regarding this, did you find anything more
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 02:16 PM   #6
gavinwong
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 G20 330e  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaleCro View Post
Any info regarding this, did you find anything more
No. BMW said no issues to be found and the car just passed its road worthy test too at an independent
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 01:22 AM   #7
deeJayOg
Rep

Same here. Just recently had the car re-checked again at the dealership. Nobody finds any issues. As soon as the weather is hotter, the car is very quiet from the start.
      03-18-2024, 11:03 AM   #8
alastairj
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e xDrive Touring

Hey everyone, just registered to chip in with my experience on my 2021 330e xDrive Touring with Adaptive suspension. Normal brakes, no upgrades.

Same problem here. Funnily enough, mine's going in again for them to have a look.

• Only when cold, and below ~8°C (46F). Anything above, it appears to go away
• Goes away after going over one or two speed humps
• Sounds metallic, but could be rubber creaking

The "problem" developed after 6 months. They replaced some worn bushes in December 2023, but that didn't solve the problem. It's just over two years old, with 21k km/13k miles, and not abused.

My operating theory is the dust covers (sorry, I don't know if this is the correct term) for the active suspensions rubber is settling/moving into position and creaking. I was going to ask them if they could try putting some silicon spray on the interface between various moving bits to see if it helps.

Interesting that it's three 330e's that are suffering

Last edited by alastairj; 03-18-2024 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: added clarifying detail on brakes
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 04:41 AM   #9
deeJayOg
Rep

Sounds pretty much like a common (unwanted) pattern. Maybe the extra weight in Plugins plays a role. But pretty sure it's happening on several 330i and 340i's as well.
      03-19-2024, 08:23 AM   #10
alastairj
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e xDrive Touring

deeJayOg Where else are you seeing it reported? I'm curious to keep tabs on the issue.

Car went in today, and typically the weather has turned warm. Let's hope it colds overnight for a diagnosis, but I don't hold out much hope.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 04:21 PM   #11
deeJayOg
Rep

On specific groups of discussion and while talking with some people as well in my own country. However it's not really the same for all. Some cars do have it, some don't. Or some don't at first and then it starts after a while.

I think I've made my peace with this at this point. As long as it's safe, will crank up that volume on H&K and deal with it by ignoring.
      04-23-2024, 01:47 AM   #12
deeJayOg
Rep

Coming in with a more happy update. I believe I may have solved the case

Reading here and there and continuing to discuss with many people the topic, at some point I reached a situation where the Top Strut Mounts might be the cause of such a noise.

Went yesterday to a trusted BMW Service (not affiliated with BMW of course ) that was very close to me with the car cold. Outside were like 8 degrees Celsius so it was still reproducing.

The mechanics pressed on the car and heard the noise. Upon asking for further inspection of the Top Strut Mounts in front, they saw nothing wrong with them mechanically at least. They look ok, work ok.

But, they decided to grease them up a bit from below the lower wheel arch. What do you know? The sound is gone completely.
Tested this morning again and everything was dead silent in the car.

Will keep an eye on it, but I think I may have gotten a huge rock of my chest.

Fingers crossed for you guys who keep on trying to find a solution, maybe it works for you as well.
      04-24-2024, 04:47 PM   #13
Scrupix
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Please keep us updated, curios if the noise will appear agin

I’ve sent you a PM
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 10:43 PM   #14
deeJayOg
Rep

3rd day in a row. Still no weird noise!
      Today, 04:09 AM   #15
CaleCro
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 ///M340i xDrive

Garage List
wow...nice to hear the result. I noticed same issues when car is shifting weight, when chassis is twisting. so this could be same issue easily
Appreciate 0