Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Can you install OEM M Perf Carbon Spoiler with 3M tape?

04-14-2022, 04:47 PM   #1
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Can you install OEM M Perf Carbon Spoiler with 3M tape?

I see that it appear to require betalink, and I see that it really don't sit on the top of the trunk like previous spoilers, moreso on the side, that being said, I would still like to avoid the betalink if possible since the car is a lease, and I don't want to give back a free M Perf spoiler with the car.

Has anyone here attached the OEM spoiler using 3M tape, can it be done safely? I'd tend to think it should be possible, but I'd rather not make the assumption.
      04-14-2022, 04:52 PM   #2
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Yes
I installed mine (non carbon oem M performance) with 3m tape. It worked out just fine. Like you, I would avoid, betalink at all costs - that is some really nasty stuff.

I did buy my own 3m tape - heavy duty automotive double sided

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 04:54 PM   #3
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Yes
I installed mine (non carbon oem M performance) with 3m tape. It worked out just fine. Like you, I would avoid, beta link at all costs - that is some really nasty stuff
Thank you for the reply, but the non-carbon can be installed easily without beta link because of where it sits, the carbon one is a bit different, which is why I have been told it requires it whereas the other one doesn't.
      04-14-2022, 05:14 PM   #4
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf80 View Post
Thank you for the reply, but the non-carbon can be installed easily without beta link because of where it sits, the carbon one is a bit different, which is why I have been told it requires it whereas the other one doesn't.
ohh interesting I always assumed they were the same (just different finish) thanks for the clarification - I learned something. That said the non-carbon did kind of hang off the back of the trunk but the 3m did just fine - for what it's worth (for you or anyone else) for reference here is what it looked like

ps-I've since moved on to a different rear spoiler (also doing just fine with 3m tape)

Again betalink is so nasty I hope you find a way to avoid it. Either way looking forward to seeing your results
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 05:22 PM   #5
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Quote:
ohh interesting I always assumed they were the same (just different finish) thanks for the clarification - I learned something. That said the non-carbon did kind of hang off the back of the trunk but the 3m did just fine - for what it's worth (for you or anyone else) for reference here is what it looked like

ps-I've since moved on to a different rear spoiler (also doing just fine with 3m tape)

Again betalink is so nasty I hope you find a way to avoid it. Either way looking forward to seeing your results
Thanks for the photos, that one actually makes sense because it sits flat on that ledge, and I assume underneath is not open. Because of the way the carbon one is made, it's open on the inside with just the edges being what adheres to the car.
      04-14-2022, 06:32 PM   #6
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I also installed my CF M Performance spoiler with 3M VHB double sided tape. Two things to note:

1. Only use 3M VHB double sided tape (if ordering from Amazon you will need to verify the product received is authentic and made in the USA - discovered this the hard way)
2. Ensure you utilize 3M adhesion promoter along with the VHB tape

Other than that everything else is pretty straightforward.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 06:46 PM   #7
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbiejones View Post
I also installed my CF M Performance spoiler with 3M VHB double sided tape. Two things to note:

1. Only use 3M VHB double sided tape (if ordering from Amazon you will need to verify the product received is authentic and made in the USA - discovered this the hard way)

Thank you for the feedback. Good to know it can be done. I bought it from Advanced Auto, interestingly enough, Amazon seems to be out of the proper tape, which I believe is 3M 3614, Super Strength Molding Tape. Interesting you mention needing adhesion promoter. I usually just use IPA or a Panel Prep wipe to ensure any wax or anything else is free from the paint so I am bonding it to bare paint.
      04-14-2022, 06:49 PM   #8
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the feedback. Good to know it can be done. I bought it from Advanced Auto, interestingly enough, Amazon seems to be out of the proper tape, which I believe is 3M 3614, Super Strength Molding Tape. Interesting you mention needing adhesion promoter. I usually just use IPA or a Panel Prep wipe to ensure any wax or anything else is free from the paint so I am bonding it to bare paint.
Here are the links for the items I used:

3M Scotch 5952 VHB Tape: 1/2 in.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BT0A6MG...p_mob_ap_share

3M VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HLY78N0...p_mob_ap_share

3M 6396 Adhesion Promoter... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3I1JR6...p_mob_ap_share

I've never utilized adhesion promoter previously but I can say without contest how well it actually works - I personally would not complete another project such as this without the use of this product.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 07:16 PM   #9
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:

3M Scotch 5952 VHB Tape: 1/2 in.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BT0A6MG...p_mob_ap_share

3M VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HLY78N0...p_mob_ap_share

3M 6396 Adhesion Promoter... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3I1JR6...p_mob_ap_share

I've never utilized adhesion promoter previously but I can say without contest how well it actually works - I personally would not complete another project such as this without the use of this product.
Got it, I'll pick some up. Interesting you're suggesting 5952. I have been using 03614 for years for all my spoilers checking my amazon history. I feel like either would be fine, but I'll probably switch to 5952 for this.
      04-14-2022, 07:31 PM   #10
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Got it, I'll pick some up. Interesting you're suggesting 5952. I have been using 03614 for years for all my spoilers checking my amazon history. I feel like either would be fine, but I'll probably switch to 5952 for this.
Most, if not all, auto part establishments only carry 3M 03614 (at least in my area) as it's a more universal type of tape; keep in mind 03614 cannot be identified as VHB.

VHB comparison chart - https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...oduct-info.pdf
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 05:55 PM   #11
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Most, if not all, auto part establishments only carry 3M 03614 (at least in my area) as it's a more universal type of tape; keep in mind 03614 cannot be identified as VHB.

I ordered both of those tapes, but I got the 4298 promoter as the one you linked isn't available on Prime. Does that matter? All the research I've done says it's the same, and the listing for 4298 says its the same chemicals as 06396
      04-16-2022, 08:59 PM   #12
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I ordered both of those tapes, but I got the 4298 promoter as the one you linked isn't available on Prime. Does that matter? All the research I've done says it's the same, and the listing for 4298 says its the same chemicals as 06396
You are correct, 3M 4298 & 06396 are the exact same when it relates the ingredients (see link below)

https://sliplo.shop/blogs/blog/3m-ad...-4298-vs-06396
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 09:01 PM   #13
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
You are correct, 3M 4298 & 06396 are the exact same when it relates the ingredients (see link below)

Saw that, but that article didn't make much sense to me because it seemed to suggest there was no small packet version of 4298, and the main difference was getting a packet versus a large vat of it. Either way, got everything coming, spoiler on Monday, rest of this stuff Tuesday. Looking forward to finishing up the rear.
      04-16-2022, 09:04 PM   #14
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Saw that, but that article didn't make much sense to me because it seemed to suggest there was no small packet version of 4298, and the main difference was getting a packet versus a large vat of it. Either way, got everything coming, spoiler on Monday, rest of this stuff Tuesday. Looking forward to finishing up the rear.
When I was conducting the same research I couldn't find any information that eluded to a difference in chemical composition between the two so I purchased the one which was the best deal at the time, otherwise I might have purchased the other 😎😎

Good luck with the installation and let us see pictures once complete!
Appreciate 1
smithf802808.50
      04-23-2022, 06:04 AM   #15
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
All set. Very easy.
Attached Images

04-23-2022, 06:55 AM   #16
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
All set. Very easy.
Looks fantastic; I'm glad to hear you did not experience any issues 😎😎

Lol, I had to do a double take when I saw the BMW of San Antonio license plate frame. I was like "the house next door in the picture has a basement, we don't have basements in Texas!"
Appreciate 1
smithf802808.50
      04-23-2022, 06:59 AM   #17
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
I had one but didn't even want to talk about it LOL.

Somehow, on the left side, about 1 inch in from the end, 3 inches of the tape just disappeared. I have no idea how there's this 3 inch gap where you can shove in a very small zip tie and it just goes all the way in I have zero clue how this happened. I applied the tape as one long, single piece. My only guess is somehow it got stuck to something while I was setting it that pulled it back.

It really is a true mystery, but that spoiler wasn't coming back off after using VHB and Adhesion Promoter. I managed to use a plastic razor to "shove" some more tape in the gap to close it.

Truly mind blowing and I almost wanted to take it off just to see where this 3 inches of tape could have possibly even gone, but we both know that would be a nightmare.
      04-23-2022, 07:31 AM   #18
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Somehow, on the left side, about 1 inch in from the end, 3 inches of the tape just disappeared. I have no idea how there's this 3 inch gap where you can shove in a very small zip tie and it just goes all the way in I have zero clue how this happened. I applied the tape as one long, single piece. My only guess is somehow it got stuck to something while I was setting it that pulled it back.

It really is a true mystery, but that spoiler wasn't coming back off after using VHB and Adhesion Promoter. I managed to use a plastic razor to "shove" some more tape in the gap to close it.

Truly mind blowing and I almost wanted to take it off just to see where this 3 inches of tape could have possibly even gone, but we both know that would be a nightmare.
Interesting you say that because my installation was quite similar but with two small areas (one on either side). I was like you, do I remove and investigate or save myself the trouble and move on. I ended up injecting a small amount of clear weatherproof silicone in these two areas so water and debris would not be able enter under the spoiler. Im curious if it has anything to do with the actual design of the spoiler because I have read a few threads were folks experienced the same issue….
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 07:32 AM   #19
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting you say that because my installation was quite similar but with two small areas (one on either side). I was like you, do I remove and investigate or save myself the trouble and move on. I ended up injecting a small amount of clear weatherproof silicone in these two areas so water and debris would not be able enter under the spoiler. Im curious if it has anything to do with the actual design of the spoiler because I have read a few threads were folks experienced the same issue….
That's interesting to hear… but how can it just move? How can it just disappear?

What did you use? Funny I was considering doing the exact same thing. I think it can't hurt to do that anyway possibly. The edge fills with gunk and dirt easily.
      04-23-2022, 07:44 AM   #20
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's interesting to hear… but how can it just move? How can it just disappear?

What did you use? Funny I was considering doing the exact same thing. I think it can't hurt to do that anyway possibly. The edge fills with gunk and dirt easily.
I personally know, without a shadow of a doubt, the VHB tape I installed did not move during installation. I allowed the tape a total of three days to cure prior to installing the spoiler on the car. Needless to say the tape was permanent to the spoiler! In my opinion it's the way the spoiler is designed because I used 1/2" tape on the topside and 3/8" tape on the bottom and there was still a small gap. It's almost if those two sections sit a little lower causing a small gap after installation. If I could do it all over again I'd place a small amount of double stacked tape in those areas, but hind sight is always 20/20!

I used a good quality weatherproof exterior/interior clear silicone from Home Depot (https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Advan...8;gclsrc=aw.ds). Once installed I allowed 24hrs for the silicone to fully cure before driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 10:20 AM   #21
zaid8900
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Xdrive

Quote:

I have the same spoiler but didn’t install it yet.. can you please send me a link of which 3M tape you’ve used?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 12:50 PM   #22
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaid8900 View Post
Quote:

I have the same spoiler but didn't install it yet.. can you please send me a link of which 3M tape you've used?
The links are on post No. 8 within this thread
Appreciate 0