Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires I’ve got 16,000 miles on a 2023 M340i tires replaced?!

01-07-2024, 01:13 PM   #23
gavinwong
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
2020 G20 330e  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panki_86 View Post
I had my factory tyres (Pirelli P zero RFT, star marked, 225 in front, 255 in back) for 50k km (~31k mls) and they were not done. They all had almost 5mm profile (1,6mm is allowed in my country for summer tyres).
Similar. I’m in a 330e and thought the extra weight would have a greater wear impact. I got to 2mm left at 58k km on the same tyres you had
Appreciate 1
panki_86112.00
      01-07-2024, 09:15 PM   #24
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I have 46k miles on my M340i, but have had so many sidewall failures (four total, plus two tires with nails) with my current 19” Pirelli P7s that I don’t know if they wear well. I bought the BMW tire and wheel warranty and it’s paid for six new tires so far.

My 2015 328i had Continentals twice and Bridgestone once, and when I sold it at 108k miles the Bridgestones still passed inspection. It probably averaged 40k miles from each set of tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 09:53 AM   #25
james1138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRocker3 View Post
It’s not clear in your post if your car is X-Drive or not? M Diff? Staggered wheels? Either way, as most others are commenting, this mileage seems about right.

I’m not sure I’d call an OEM BMW tire “garbage”, but certainly there is room to optimize depending on your goals.

I also learned this in a similar manner many years ago with my E90 335… I got 10k on my first set of Continental DWS. Since then, rotations when applicable, air pressure checks, and adjusted expectations have made it easier to handle. After all, these are performance road cars! More tire wear means more grip/friction… this is a good thing!

Another thing to consider… any good service advisor will make a strong recommendation to you to replace wear parts. That’s their job. Perhaps consider doing the measurements yourself? You may find that you have much more life than is being suggested?

If you’re looking for a summer tire you can track, go with the Michelin PS4S. By many measures it’s somewhat of a “gold standard” for this exact application. If you select a tire that can’t handle the buildup of heat on the track, you’ll end up buying new tires (again) pretty quickly.

On the other side, if you want a street tire that can handle the torque of a B58 with a better chance at longevity, you might consider the Michelin PS All Season, but certainly not for the track. This may also allow you keep one set of wheels to run all year long.

Get a AAA membership and forget about the spare, and ditch the run flats for good.
Thanks, great advice. To be fair I’m not sure on some of them. It is XDrive and I’m pretty sure it’s a staggered set up. I wasn’t a tire expert when I bought this car and I definitely wish I was before I pulled the trigger.

In hindsight, I wish I would’ve chosen non-run flats and gotten the spare tire.

I just know I optioned them with all season run flats. Although it wasn’t advertised, I think it has the M differential. I definitely optioned the adaptive M suspension.

The nice thing about the dealership that I work with is they send me a video of the actual measurements of the tire, so I knew what he saying was Legitimate.

What I decided to do to buy me some time, is since I live in Michigan and we are in the middle of a snowstorm and my car is fishtailing, I purchased some winter tires. Which should be in the next day or two. That buys me some time to figure out what I want do for summer performance tires.

I’m guessing the Michelin PS4S are not run flat tires? The dealer is pushing for Michelin Performance Pilot Sport for the summer tires.

And are you saying just get a AAA membership for the roadside assistance and if I have a blowout just have the car towed to a dealership?

I’d be more willing to ditch the run flats if I didn’t have the wheel tire warranty. Don’t know if coverage extends to non-run flats? I’m assuming it would if BMW puts it on themselves?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 11:28 AM   #26
JRocker3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

[QUOTE=james1138;30827334]Thanks, great advice. To be fair I’m not sure on some of them. It is XDrive and I’m pretty sure it’s a staggered set up. I wasn’t a tire expert when I bought this car and I definitely wish I was before I pulled the trigger.

In hindsight, I wish I would’ve chosen non-run flats and gotten the spare tire.

I just know I optioned them with all season run flats. Although it wasn’t advertised, I think it has the M differential. I definitely optioned the adaptive M suspension.

The nice thing about the dealership that I work with is they send me a video of the actual measurements of the tire, so I knew what he saying was Legitimate.

What I decided to do to buy me some time, is since I live in Michigan and we are in the middle of a snowstorm and my car is fishtailing, I purchased some winter tires. Which should be in the next day or two. That buys me some time to figure out what I want do for summer performance tires.

I’m guessing the Michelin PS4S are not run flat tires? The dealer is pushing for Michelin Performance Pilot Sport for the summer tires.

And are you saying just get a AAA membership for the roadside assistance and if I have a blowout just have the car towed to a dealership?

I’d be more willing to ditch the run flats if I didn’t have the wheel tire warranty. Don’t know if coverage extends to non-run flats? I’m assuming it would if BMW puts it on themselves?

The PS4S is a non run flat. I’m not sure about that Performance Pilot Sport, I’d ask them to be sure.

I’m pretty sure if you put a tire on your car other than what they recommend, you’ll probably be risking your wheel/tire protection package.

Exactly on the AAA membership. Pay them a small fee and you’ll be worry free. They’ll come get you if you have a blowout or flat, and it’s included in your membership. The cost is so small compared to the service you get. It’s a nice “insurance” IMO.

It seems like you’re locked into dealer service, which isn’t a bad thing, but I’d still make an effort to find a good independent shop you can build a relationship with. Again, it’ll pay off in the long run. Especially for high performance cars.

Enjoy!
      01-21-2024, 08:20 AM   #27
dudley@07726
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB E400 Cp, 2016 Audi A6

I have the High performance package and purchased this spare (that fits the larger calipers) for long trips. Yes, I have the flat tire emergency kit that came with the car but preferred to have a spare.

https://ez-sparewheel.com/products/2...vehicles-25076