BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Dinan Lowering Kit Impressions

01-29-2024, 08:26 AM   #23
wt335i
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Car looks awesome. What brand is your front splitter?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:26 AM   #24
MOTO
Turbo fever
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wt335i View Post
Car looks awesome. What brand is your front splitter?
RW Carbon! They have a sale on this splitter going right now...
      01-31-2024, 10:29 AM   #25
MOTO
Turbo fever
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanamous View Post
Thanks for the detail answer. I'm just surprised that a 1" drop can make such a difference. It sounds like the shocks are indeed bottoming on big bumps overwhelming the shock's damping limits.

So with proper damping, it wouldn't be as bad fair to say? (As in going full coilovers)
Could be...and that would make sense...but I'm unclear as I've never run full coilovers on my street cars.
      01-31-2024, 10:30 AM   #26
MOTO
Turbo fever
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Plz let us know which front lip that is also. Thanks.
RW Carbon
      01-31-2024, 11:21 PM   #27
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTO View Post
With adaptive.

B-Forged 19's will be here soon - going 255/275 on the rubber
[img]https://i.ibb.co/pwzwMTP/IMG-1943.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/tCCvKS2/IMG-1942.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/sbhDhnQ/IMG-1941.jpg[/img]
Clearly you have great taste in mods and aesthetics I love the guys over at RW, nice guys and great service.
Are you considering the dinan monoballs? I recommend them if you are trying to get a bit more positive NVH and steering feel. I know you mentioned the springs are negatively impacting the ride quality compared to stock, so I’m not sure if you’d enjoy the monoballs, but still worth considering IMO.
Planning to track the G20?
      02-01-2024, 08:04 AM   #28
phanamous
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 soon to be

NVH just through the steering wheel only? Or cabin noise actually increases? If so by how much? Thx.

Would installation be cheaper doing both Dinan monoballs and springs at the same time? I'm assuming there's some work overlap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
Clearly you have great taste in mods and aesthetics I love the guys over at RW, nice guys and great service.
Are you considering the dinan monoballs? I recommend them if you are trying to get a bit more positive NVH and steering feel. I know you mentioned the springs are negatively impacting the ride quality compared to stock, so I’m not sure if you’d enjoy the monoballs, but still worth considering IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 10:19 AM   #29
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
NVH just through the steering wheel only? Or cabin noise actually increases? If so by how much? Thx.

Would installation be cheaper doing both Dinan monoballs and springs at the same time? I'm assuming there's some work overlap.
Noise increased slightly through the cabin. IMO, not much. Vibration and harshness through steering wheel is increased. I think most G20 and G80 owners agree it’s worth the added steering feel.
Great question, I’m sure that boils down to negotiation with the installer. I sure did get a discount
      02-06-2024, 12:46 AM   #30
phanamous
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just occurred to me that it might be the Dinan strut tower braces that's causing the rough ride over bad/uneven pavement. The front chassis now is stiffer transferring more jolts. Great for hard cornering but that's the price you pay.

I just got my 24 M340i (w/ EDC) and am surprised with how stiff the suspension feels even in comfort mode. The stock springs don't seem to be very progressive either. The shocks are definitely not bottoming out over uneven pavement so I don't think it's the Dinan springs causing what you're feeling.

I definitely noticed the rough ride over bad/uneven pavement in my old S4 once it had sway bars and front brace installed. Even speed bumps felt jarring.

That's what I'm hoping anyway as I had intended on installing Dinan springs and monoballs but your post is giving me second thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:56 AM   #31
MOTO
Turbo fever
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
Ha, thanks...yeah, quality stuff from RW Carbon.

Not considering monoballs.

This is a daily driver for the wife and I, not planning on tracking it. I just like it setup for a bit better handling and aesthetics.

Not planning on tracking the car.
      02-06-2024, 01:10 AM   #32
MOTO
Turbo fever
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just occurred to me that it might be the Dinan strut tower braces that's causing the rough ride over bad/uneven pavement. The front chassis now is stiffer transferring more jolts. Great for hard cornering but that's the price you pay.

I just got my 24 M340i (w/ EDC) and am surprised with how stiff the suspension feels even in comfort mode. The stock springs don't seem to be very progressive either. The shocks are definitely not bottoming out over uneven pavement so I don't think it's the Dinan springs causing what you're feeling.

I definitely noticed the rough ride over bad/uneven pavement in my old S4 once it had sway bars and front brace installed. Even speed bumps felt jarring.

That's what I'm hoping anyway as I had intended on installing Dinan springs and monoballs but your post is giving me second thoughts.

Actually, TBH (and forgive being somewhat misleading), I haven't installed the strut tower braces yet. I was intending to the weekend I made the post...but they're still in the garage. Planning on putting them on soon.

My issue is not so much a rough ride over bad / uneven pavement, it's more so the "bounciness" of the front end. Dips in the road can throw you pretty good in the car.

Car looks good but it comes with a notable cost of degraded ride smoothness and comfort IMO.

ETA: ride quality has improved a bit with fatter, non run flat rubber. 245/40/19 - 275/35/19

Last edited by MOTO; 02-06-2024 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 09:57 AM   #33
phanamous
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the stock EDC dampers can't even handle the extra 15% stiffness in the Dinan springs. Have to go coilovers for a proper riding lowered setup it looks like.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 05:18 PM   #34
Gryph8n
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M440i xdrive, X5, Acura MDX

Garage List
I have the Dinan monoballs and carbon fiber engine bay struts installed on M440i lowered on KW V3s. The NVH is noticeable more with monoballs and partially due to my Millway street camber plates, but the steering feel and grip it gives you in high-speed turns is night and day difference. At first, I was a little overwhelmed by the noise and feel, but now I’be gotten used to it and really like it.

I think it helps a lot to have adjustable bump and rebound on my V3s as after I fine-tuned them, this made a big difference. I also did rear toe links with eccentric lockouts and that resolved the instability I previously had in loading and exiting fast turns due to the change in toe angle.

Haven’t done front lower control arms, traction or end links. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on these?
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2024, 03:58 PM   #35
phanamous
Enlisted Member
Rep

Having driven my M340ix (w/ Adaptive suspension) for 2 months now, the shocks dampers are definitely insufficient as the ride is a bit bouncy stock and not plush. That pretty much killed lowering springs for me as it would only make the issue worse.

However, after putting on my new summer wheels that are 9lbs less in static weight per corner, the car rides amazing allowing the stock dampers to work as they should. The ride is very plush and compliant now with the dampers not being overwelmed by the much higher stock unsprung weight.

Much lighter wheels will be a big help in eliminating the bouncing I think. I'm considering Dinan springs again now go as far as replacing my stock wheels for light wheels also for my winter setup.
Appreciate 0