Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions My BMW app - erroneous tire wear notification

11-18-2023, 06:47 AM   #1
orinjohnson
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 330i xDrive

Garage List
  [0.00]
[I had left this in the wheels/tires subforum for a few days but it wasn’t getting any… … …traction 🙄 over there, so deleted it and will try here.]

Hello all. I've searched these forums and the internet generally, and have seen several folks with this issue, but few if any solutions, and the tips I've seen don't seem to help me. So I'm asking for advice.

At the end of August I bought my first BMW, a 2022 330i xDrive, with 23K miles on it then. I love the car, but there is a persistent annoyance - the My BMW app on my iPhone insists that I need to have someone check for tire wear. These are the original OEM tires still on the car.

Those of us with this issue kinda all have the same "symptoms.." The tires usually are not near their end - the dealer says, I think rightly, there are 10-15K more miles left in the ones on my car. I had the dealer try to rescan them in with an RDC tool, twice, following the instructions on an SIB found while I was digging around the internet about this issue. That did not change the app's mind either.

And, of course, there is no way to manually clear the notification in the app. I've also emailed customercare, who basically says make sure they got scanned in right, the app should not be in error. Supposedly the wrong notification goes away after a few months, but that's not really a solution.

I also signed up to be an app beta tester basically just so I could report what seems to perhaps be a bug, or at least request that the feature be able to be cleared or turned off if desired.

I don't know if it's the app at fault here, or the dealer's attempts to scan with the RDC that are going wrong, or if whatever the system is using to detect tire wear is still saying so even though it seems like such a warning should be a long way off. At least the car itself shows nothing wrong - it's just the app keeps telling me "multiple services needed" and "tire service, front (and back) tires" and "tire wear" instead of the "All Good" that it should tell me. I don't think there's anything wrong with the car, the tire pressure sensors and other telematics seem to work fine.

Any thoughts or advice? Anyone actually get something like this resolved? Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 05:22 AM   #2
gavinwong
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
2020 G20 330e  [9.00]
Mine has been there for months.
I’m only just getting to 2mm on all tires now, and they are being swapped out tomorrow.
No way to clear the notification in the app.
What I find odd is how the app has a notification, but when you get in the car, there isn’t a service pop up.
So car status and app notification are clearly not aligned when it comes to the tire request.
I’m swapping mine out for oem too. Will see what happens. I’ve stopped letting it bothering me since July
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2023, 05:39 AM   #3
orinjohnson
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Update!

So, this morning, Nov. 23, the My BMW app is finally telling me “All Good” like it ought. I’m not sure yet what caused the change. Some possibilities:

I did have the dealer a second time try this SIB (re-scanning the tires with RDC tool) on Nov. 7:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...15753-9999.pdf

Which was 16 days ago, a bit longer than the 2 weeks I was supposed to wait, but much longer than the 2-3 days of waiting mentioned in this post (on i-4-talk) I’ve found along the way:

https://www.******.com/threads/mybmw-app-tire-service-reminder-not-reseting-after-tire-service-replacement.9455/

It’s also the case that my app doesn’t show tire maker and model like a screen grab found in that post, so I’m doubtful that what the dealer did was actually the fix.

Other possibilities:

The SIB also says the warning will go away after 60 days regardless. While it’s been visible since the end of August, the dealer’s first attempt to rescan the tires in was on Sept. 11 - again, a bit longer than 60 days, but possible.

I also updated the app to version 3.11.0 (build 29503) a couple days ago. It initially also told me about tire wear, but maybe it just took 2-3 days to sync up with the “back end” or something. I had also beta tested the same version of the app but an earlier build and reported the tire wear issue as a bug. (I also on Nov. 7 tapped on “app feedback” in the app and mentioned the issue, like I had done a few weeks back already too.)

I also emailed back to customer care on November 21 to update them that it seemed the last dealer attempt again had not worked.

Any or some combo of those things perhaps did the trick. Or something else entirely, who knows. I’m just grateful (It is thanksgiving where I am!) that it’s right finally.

That said, and all this typed out, it’ll probably go back to being wrong in a few hours… 😬🙂

Happy Thanksgiving to those doing such things today! 🦃 🍽️
Appreciate 1
gavinwong154.50
      11-23-2023, 07:00 AM   #4
gavinwong
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 G20 330e  [9.00]
Good to know.
I swapped all 4. My app version is the latest.
Notification still showing, so we’ll see what happens.
I even switched to manual on the tyre recognition, and input the information. Still there.
I’ll see if a rescan by the dealer does anything. But I’ll probably leave it.
Enjoy thanksgiving!
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2024, 06:05 AM   #5
gavinwong
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 G20 330e  [9.00]
Well it did go away on its own in the end, but the recent app update means it has popped back up again
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 07:11 AM   #6
orinjohnson
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
How odd and unfortunate. My tire wear notifications have not come back, thankfully, whatever did fix the issue.

I may be getting new tires today though… so let’s hope things stay in order! 😬
Appreciate 0