Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK BMW Service - Health checks

08-10-2022, 05:19 AM   #1
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

BMW Service - Health checks

Has anyone else found how useless the vehicle health checks that are carried out by main dealers are?

They never seem to accurately measure tyre tread or brake pad/ disc thickness. In the three month since my car last had a health check every measurement has miraculously gone up. To the point they accidently did two health checks during some warranty work and the pads had grown 2mm over 0 miles and 2hours of been sat on their ramp.

The wife's Audi went in yesterday and had a recommendation to change the rear tyres as they were three years old and showing signs of cracks... The same dealer had changed them 2 months ago during an MOT.
Likewise, the last service in May said brake fluid due in 18 months, yesterdays said overdue.
Ohh, and the best bit...the dealer changed her cambelt in May (free of charge due to another issue). Yesterday I had a call saying it was overdue and will cost £1150.00!!

I'm fairly tech minded so take what they say with a pinch of salt as I check tyres, brakes etc myself once a month but I know for a fact my wife would have just agreed to the work if she'd have had the report or phone call.

I understand there is a degree of variation in the technicians measures but surely they check previous paperwork before sending out these so called 'recommendations'.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 10:43 AM   #2
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Always found them a bit comical also! My brake pads also regenerated several mm between two separate trips! And they painstakingly point out minor scuffs to the underside of the front bumper whilst up selling their body shop! Can’t blame them I suppose!
I did find it useful when my previous car was in for brake fluid from which I got the inevitable phone call saying pads and discs all needed replacement. I referred him to watch the video back which I’d received previously where tech had advised plenty of disc left.
Response “apologies I was mixing you up with another customer “
Stealers eh? 🤣
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 10:56 AM   #3
Osxboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d

I had the same on an Octavia VRS when they didn’t here back from me, I was in work meetings, they replaced all 4 discs and the pads. When I challenged this as the car was at 17k miles they said the discs were pitted, when I asked for the discs and pads so I could confirm they couldn’t find them as the old parts bin had been emptied! I basically said you didn’t have my permission to change them and in the paperwork said the old parts would be returned! In the end I got new discs and pads for free!

Not sure the same would happen with my 320d at a BMW dealer!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 03:31 PM   #4
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep

I just think they seem to base the wear vs a new car.

Yes I am fully aware the tyres don't have the 7-8mm tread but also I am not changing them every time they get down to 5mm and accepting this is in the amber banding.

Funnily enough most premium tyres don't even have 8mm from new anyway. The Bridgestone's I have currently measured 6.5mm when I had them fitted and during its next health check they said they were down to 6mm and 25% worn.

At least they seem constantly bad across all car brands...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 11:57 PM   #5
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

I have just had a quote for a service plan and it looks good, saving £500+ on individual prices. However, it struck me that the ‘health checks’ comprised over £400 of the quote and I have never really seen the benefit…….starting to have second thoughts…..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 04:35 AM   #6
Jackrack
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I think during the past 5-6 years of BMW ownership, each health check has come back that my wheels need aligning which is causing the tread on tyres to be low, giving me the option each time of re-alignment for £100 a pop!

Measurements on tyre tread left is always inaccurate too as you say.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 01:00 AM   #7
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Years ago I had a st200 Mondeo which was around 4 years old at the time. Took it into the Ford dealer and they said there was some corrosion in right rear box and another part of the left exhaust which on their traffic light system was coded red with recommendations to replace for a chunk of cash.
I said I'll wait till it goes thanks, as exhausts are only a problem if they go.
Had that car another 3 years and in the 3 more visits to that same dealer for services and MOT it was never even flagged on the health check...
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 02:16 AM   #8
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep

A family member earlier this year had an MOT at Mercedes where they changed two rear tyres. She had a service around a month later and they called to say it can’t leave the workshop as she’s had one run flat and one non run flat tyre fitted.

It was the same technician who flagged the issue that had fitted them a month earlier.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2022, 03:35 AM   #9
UnluckySaxon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.summers86 View Post
A family member earlier this year had an MOT at Mercedes where they changed two rear tyres. She had a service around a month later and they called to say it can’t leave the workshop as she’s had one run flat and one non run flat tyre fitted.

It was the same technician who flagged the issue that had fitted them a month earlier.
Thats an embarrassment. What was the outcome to that?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 04:15 AM   #10
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnluckySaxon View Post
Thats an embarrassment. What was the outcome to that?
Two new rear tyres (to the correct spec.) and 50% of the next service.

Put it down to a bad day at the office perhaps.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2022, 04:16 AM   #11
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
It’s simple. The technicians and service advisors are paid on bonus. The more they sell, the more they earn hence the inconsistency. As the owner and driver of a vehicle you’d know if any work is required before it went in and most of us only take the car to them for the service record. I feel sorry for the owners that have to rely on these checks.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0