Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Adaptive LED and HBA - do they beam form?

02-08-2022, 04:06 PM   #89
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M sport 320D

In the sticks here most lanes need to be taking at a reduced speed and no street lights for miles, never had lasers before but at least I know whats happening now, doesn't make much sense to me though and why would your speed be a factor in it's operation
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 04:44 PM   #90
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
As for the below 37mph bit, I can't fathom that out either. It equates to exactly 60kph so unsure if that has any relevance possibly in relation to BMW's home market but even so don't understand why it would apply to UK spec vehicles. Perhaps it's simply a case that in areas with speed limits in that range i.e. 37mph they will be mostly built-up areas and more than likely have street lighting systems in place rendering main beam headlights redundant?
Reading up on it the logic appears to be the laser lights would be too bright in an urban environment and that's the reason to disable them below 37mph. But generally I wouldn't have thought HBA would activate main beam in places where there are street lights anyway (whether the main beam is LED or laser) so I'm not sure that argument really holds water!

What I'm still not sure about, though, is whether the laser lights are disabled below 37mph regardless of whether main beam has been activated automatically via HBA or manually via the stalk (the 'old-fashioned way'). If there are genuine concerns about them being too bright around town you'd think they'd be disabled below 37mph regardless of how the main beam has been activated but to satisfy my curiosity I think I need to do a little experiment next time I'm out in the dark!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 04:58 PM   #91
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Reading up on it the logic appears to be the laser lights would be too bright in an urban environment and that's the reason to disable them below 37mph. But generally I wouldn't have thought HBA would activate main beam in places where there are street lights anyway (whether the main beam is LED or laser) so I'm not sure that argument really holds water!

What I'm still not sure about, though, is whether the laser lights are disabled below 37mph regardless of whether main beam has been activated automatically via HBA or manually via the stalk (the 'old-fashioned way'). If there are genuine concerns about them being too bright around town you'd think they'd be disabled below 37mph regardless of how the main beam has been activated but to satisfy my curiosity I think I need to do a little experiment next time I'm out in the dark!
They outperform my adaptive I had last week using the old fashion way too thought it was the lasers but it could be that I don't have a dummy headlight I suppose?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 01:27 AM   #92
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Talking about 37mph limit, I wish all car manufacturers would put this limit on rear fog lights and that they would turn off above 37mph.
Appreciate 1
bmnut813.50
      02-09-2022, 01:30 AM   #93
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I wish rear fog lights wouldn't turn on at all. C*nts that turn them on in city centres should be dragged from their cars and shot.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 3
      02-09-2022, 02:12 AM   #94
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

I’m pretty sure that it’s only the lasers that switch off below 37mph (for the reasons given above). The dancing lights continue to operate below this speed, as long as the vehicle has determined that high beams are appropriate.
Appreciate 2
xenon1397.00
bmnut813.50
      02-09-2022, 07:10 AM   #95
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashead76 View Post
In the sticks here most lanes need to be taking at a reduced speed and no street lights for miles, never had lasers before but at least I know whats happening now, doesn't make much sense to me though and why would your speed be a factor in it's operation
Makes no sense to me either. I've owned BMWs for 40 years now and still struggle with German logic!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 07:12 AM   #96
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Me too mate, I'm intrigued as well now never having really given it much thought in the past!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 07:14 AM   #97
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I can see a number of forum members out in the dark now conducting lighting experiments!

Great excuse to go out for a drive though eh?!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 03:08 PM   #98
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Checked tonight you activate the HB and kick into gear at 37 MPH you then can reduce your speed to 20 MPH and they still function, dancing lights still working, turn off at 19 MPH and did not see the dancing lights work at all, turn off in heavy fog and turn off when the road is well lighted, not convinced they actually work in lighted conditions including the dancing lights, manual HB at slow speed and auto HB at speed are the same to my eyes, that all said I am more unsure why speed has any reason behind it if they turn of when streets are lighted, but that’s how my lights work

Last edited by gashead76; 02-09-2022 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 03:33 PM   #99
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Checked tonight you activate the HB and kick into gear at 37 MPH you then can reduce your speed to 20 MPH and they still function, dancing lights still working, turn off at 19 MPH and did not see the dancing lights work at all, turn off in heavy fog and turn off when the road is well lighted, not convinced they actually work in lighted conditions including the dancing lights, manual HB at slow speed and auto HB at speed are the same to my eyes, that all said I am more unsure why speed has any reason behind it if they turn of when streets are lighted, but that’s how my lights work
If you look closely the laser elements do deactivate below the speed threshold regardless of whether activated automatically or manually. The beam forming still works below this speed given the right conditions but the lasers are deactivated
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 03:50 PM   #100
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranniux View Post
If you look closely the laser elements do deactivate below the speed threshold regardless of whether activated automatically or manually. The beam forming still works below this speed given the right conditions but the lasers are deactivated
That's how I thought but couldn't see it, give it another try tomorrow, drive down this lane daily, fog did come in soon after and could of affected what I was seeing
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 04:53 PM   #101
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranniux View Post
Haven't checked mine yet but how you describe it is how I'm assuming they'll work (i.e. no laser lights below 37mph regardless of whether main beam is activated manually via the stalk or automatically via HBA). IMO it would be illogical for them to work any other way...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 03:45 AM   #102
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Haven't checked mine yet but how you describe it is how I'm assuming they'll work (i.e. no laser lights below 37mph regardless of whether main beam is activated manually via the stalk or automatically via HBA). IMO it would be illogical for them to work any other way...
From my point I was more confused why HB in AHB would just stop working, some lanes around here need to be driven with care, below 19 mph your AHB well the HB will turn off and you then have to manually turn them on, regarding the lasers i couldnt see any difference and i tried, going to have to try again, first world problems
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 03:52 AM   #103
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
From my point I was more confused why HB in AHB would just stop working, some lanes around here need to be driven with care, below 19 mph your AHB well the HB will turn off and you then have to manually turn them on, regarding the lasers i couldnt see any difference and i tried, going to have to try again, first world problems
I agree, there are low speed corners on country lanes where you'd still want main beam up even if they're only the normal LED's and not assisted by laser lights. In those circumstances it sounds like you have to do it the old-fashioned way via the stalk but as I've done it that way for most of the 40 years I've been driving I suppose it's no big deal - as you say, first world problems!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 04:01 AM   #104
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

The operative word with HBA I guess is "assistant" not "replacement". For the most part it will assist you but it cannot, logically, be perfect. When it isn't, you can undertake the arduous task of moving the lever yourself.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 04:08 AM   #105
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Agree moving the stalk is what I have done for many years and a non issue now I understand what's causing it to suddenly turn off, that said still unsure why speed is a factor especially if lasers do not function at a set speed anyway

Last edited by gashead76; 02-10-2022 at 04:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 04:29 AM   #106
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

I can think of very few places where I'd drive at <19mph and yet want main beams on. In fact, I can't think of any. But I do realise there will be exceptions.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 04:39 AM   #107
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
I can think of very few places where I'd drive at <19mph and yet want main beams on. In fact, I can't think of any. But I do realise there will be exceptions.
You would want to down our lane but I understand your point. I was just confused why it was doing it. Non issue now I understand, even though I am not sure why
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 06:56 AM   #108
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
The operative word with HBA I guess is "assistant" not "replacement". For the most part it will assist you but it cannot, logically, be perfect. When it isn't, you can undertake the arduous task of moving the lever yourself.
I take your point but I've always thought - obviously incorrectly - that HBA would assist by activating main beam whenever lighting conditions dictate and another road user wouldn't be inconvenienced. So I wouldn't expect main beam to come on in urban areas where the roads are lit and I wouldn't expect main beam to come on and/or stay on when there's another car around and the driver could be dazzled. However, if it's pitch black and there are no other cars around I'd expect HBA to activate the main beam regardless of speed - but it obviously doesn't work that way so, like you say, back to moving the stalk it is!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #109
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
I take your point but I've always thought - obviously incorrectly - that HBA would assist by activating main beam whenever lighting conditions dictate and another road user wouldn't be inconvenienced. So I wouldn't expect main beam to come on in urban areas where the roads are lit and I wouldn't expect main beam to come on and/or stay on when there's another car around and the driver could be dazzled. However, if it's pitch black and there are no other cars around I'd expect HBA to activate the main beam regardless of speed - but it obviously doesn't work that way so, like you say, back to moving the stalk it is!
Sorry if this has been said already, but I thought it was just the laser that turned off below 37mph, not the full high beam.

I assumed the logic was just that you don't need to see so far when you're going slower.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 02:55 PM   #110
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Quote:
Sorry if this has been said already, but I thought it was just the laser that turned off below 37mph, not the full high beam.

I assumed the logic was just that you don't need to see so far when you're going slower.
I haven't been out in mine to check exactly what it does but my understanding is the laser lights don't operate below 37mph and that's regardless of whether main beam has been selected automatically via HBA or manually via the column stalk. From what I can gather the reason for this is more to do with the brightness of laser lights causing potential issues in urban areas rather than anything else - I do see an argument that the slower you're going the less effective the headlights need to be but personally I'd like the option to have the best illumination possible at all times regardless of road speed!

And what I think is now also being suggested is that, if you're using HBA, the main beam will drop to dip beam as soon as the road speed goes below 20mph (so even if you've got selective beam you lose that functionality at low speeds). That means if you're on (say) a tight, twisty, road you need to select main beam via the stalk to make sure it doesn't go to dip around any slow corners.

I will see what my car does the next time I have it out in the dark but haven't felt inclined to take it out specifically to check!
Appreciate 0