Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions m340i xdrive snow options and performance

02-21-2021, 03:26 PM   #1
///Medge
Private
Rep
Drives: Tbd

m340i xdrive snow options and performance

Hi,

One of my previous vehicles (Infiniti) had an AWD system that had a 'snow' mode option which dramatically reduced wheel slippage. It also made the car feel extremely slow, which was fine given the conditions I used that particular option in.

Does the m340i xdrive system have something similar or is it no longer needed? E.g. In comfort mode the xdrive system is smart enough to handle adverse driving conditions?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 03:35 PM   #2
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Medge View Post
Hi,

One of my previous vehicles (Infiniti) had an AWD system that had a 'snow' mode option which dramatically reduced wheel slippage. It also made the car feel extremely slow, which was fine given the conditions I used that particular option in.

Does the m340i xdrive system have something similar or is it no longer needed? E.g. In comfort mode the xdrive system is smart enough to handle adverse driving conditions?

Thanks!
Short answer is yes....

It doesn't have a snow mode per se but using comfort or eco pro will net you the same results. (Lazier throttle response)

Plus the electronic limited slip diff will likely be an improvement over the Infiniti system
Appreciate 1
jmack548.50
      02-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #3
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
Set drive mode to comfort, press the DSC button once. You'll see traction in yellow light up under the dash screen for comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 11:17 AM   #4
///Medge
Private
Rep

Does this put the car into a mode that dramatically limits / eliminates wheel slippage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graaf_Autowerks View Post
Set drive mode to comfort, press the DSC button once. You'll see traction in yellow light up under the dash screen for comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 11:44 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Does this put the car into a mode that dramatically limits / eliminates wheel slippage?
Using DTC (quick press) allows a bit more wheel movement and slippage, which assists traction.

To quote BMW...

Quote:
The system assures the maximal drive output, but with reduced driving stability.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #6
Oxide_Touring
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
I thought it was something wrong when pressing the gas pedal...it did not respond at all I felt in the snow. That was until I tried the DTC button

So, I feel that the default in this car is what you describe as «snow mode». As I see it, the real snow mode is when you click the DTC button once. For me «snow mode» = a mode for getting out of the snow if your car seems stuck (because engine power is dramatically reduced)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 05:09 PM   #7
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I'm on my 6th X-drive BMW since 2007, some with big engines, some with small, some with dedicated snow tires, some without, some I left the run flats on, some I changed to go-flats and an SUV thrown in, and have never pressed the dsc button in any of them to get going in the snow...and I've been in some real good ones and live on a steep hill. They've all behaved very well in everything thrown at them. I guess I should try the button, it sounds like will be even better.

I really miss the hill descent (duck button) in this one though, my driveway is not much fun with this car at all.
      02-23-2021, 08:23 AM   #8
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

The Infiniti snow mode just lessens throttle response so even if you floor it, it only sends ~20% throttle. You can do the same thing with your foot by not flooring it. But the closest comparison in a BMW is eco pro mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:20 AM   #9
///Medge
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
The Infiniti snow mode just lessens throttle response so even if you floor it, it only sends ~20% throttle. You can do the same thing with your foot by not flooring it. But the closest comparison in a BMW is eco pro mode.

It almost sounds like the BMW xdrive in comfort will attempt to reduce/elmiinate wheel slippage.

I found in the Infiniti (older g model, when they made reasonably good/fun cars), the AWD system would still allow extensive wheel slippage in 'normal' drive mode (even in winter rubber) before it bogged down/directed more power to the front wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:21 AM   #10
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

To be honest, I don't think Infiniti has ever been known to be groundbreaking with their AWD systems.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #11
Saliwok1
Rep
Drives: BMW 2021 M340i

I just moved from a 2012 G37x to a 2021 M340i. The X-drive on the BMW is very good, but not as good as the snow mode in the Infiniti. Snow mode apparently locks the centre differential. I don't know the mechanics of it, but it made the car feel way more solid in deep snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 08:13 PM   #12
///Medge
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
To be honest, I don't think Infiniti has ever been known to be groundbreaking with their AWD systems.
The Attesa system is pretty well regarded although quite mature. It’s a similar system as in the gtr. It was one of the first rear biased awd systems.

Snow mode also does more than adjust throttle response. It locks the power distribution to 50:50.

Last edited by ///Medge; 02-23-2021 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2021, 07:57 AM   #13
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saliwok1 View Post
I just moved from a 2012 G37x to a 2021 M340i. The X-drive on the BMW is very good, but not as good as the snow mode in the Infiniti. Snow mode apparently locks the centre differential. I don't know the mechanics of it, but it made the car feel way more solid in deep snow.
Quote:
The Attesa system is pretty well regarded although quite mature. It’s a similar system as in the gtr. It was one of the first rear biased awd systems.

Snow mode also does more than adjust throttle response. It locks the power distribution to 50:50.
It's not rear-biased, it's full time RWD until slip is detected then the front wheels will engage, and it's much different than the GTR's AWD which is real full time AWD. The G37X is always in 50:50 AWD from a stop up to ~30mph, then switches to RWD. The snow mode button doesn't affect that and only adjusts throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:50 PM   #14
Saliwok1
Rep
Drives: BMW 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
It's not rear-biased, it's full time RWD until slip is detected then the front wheels will engage, and it's much different than the GTR's AWD which is real full time AWD. The G37X is always in 50:50 AWD from a stop up to ~30mph, then switches to RWD. The snow mode button doesn't affect that and only adjusts throttle response.
Definitely something else going on in snow mode. The manual tells you not to use it on dry pavement because the differential is locked.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 08:01 AM   #15
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saliwok1 View Post
Definitely something else going on in snow mode. The manual tells you not to use it on dry pavement because the differential is locked.
Look I loved my G37x too, but you're trying to make it out to be something it's not.
My '13 manual doesn't say anything about not using it on dry pavement, it even says that only the engine output is controlled.

Also per the Infiniti Virtual Academy:
"Snow mode helps provide greater control when accelerating in snow or other slippery conditions by helping reduce drive-wheel slippage. Snow mode makes the throttle less sensitive by slowing the rate of throttle opening. "

The reality is that the ATTESA ET-S system has two open differentials (front and rear) and no ability to "lock the central differential" because it doesn't have one.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 06:39 PM   #16
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Hope this doesn't come off as trolling...

My E90 was and my M340i is RWD. I drive RWD with snow tires in winter snow in Cleveland, Ohio and have zero problems. The only time I had problems was with ground clearance and too deep of snow.

I've had a few xDrive loaners in the winter and what I recall the most was how easily the transmission modulated the slipping of the wheels to keep giving traction. It kept going but would slip a bit. I never felt ultra confident on these loaners but thats just cause I ran snow tires.

My first BMW was an E46 330xi AWD, an earlier system with a permanent 40/60 split rearward. I wasn't smart/rich enough to manage snow tires so I ran it with all seasons. If THAT car could tank Cleveland winter with nary an issue, I'm banking a modern xDrive should do fine!
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2021, 06:58 PM   #17
SportySpice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
Hope this doesn't come off as trolling...

My E90 was and my M340i is RWD. I drive RWD with snow tires in winter snow in Cleveland, Ohio and have zero problems. The only time I had problems was with ground clearance and too deep of snow.

I've had a few xDrive loaners in the winter and what I recall the most was how easily the transmission modulated the slipping of the wheels to keep giving traction. It kept going but would slip a bit. I never felt ultra confident on these loaners but thats just cause I ran snow tires.

My first BMW was an E46 330xi AWD, an earlier system with a permanent 40/60 split rearward. I wasn't smart/rich enough to manage snow tires so I ran it with all seasons. If THAT car could tank Cleveland winter with nary an issue, I'm banking a modern xDrive should do fine!
Agree. I'm in Chicago and I have Bridgestone Blizzak WS-90s (which I highly recommend) on my M340i X-drive. We've gotten a sh*t ton of snow the past few weeks. When I've been out during snow, i haven't pushed any buttons or anything. I just drive like it's snowing - anticipating stops, steady speed, leaving space, etc. Car has been great and I've never felt like I didn't have control or was unable to stop. I don't think you'll have any issues.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2021, 07:02 PM   #18
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

That's why Blizzaks tend to be the go-to snow tire or at least the name is used akin to Kleenex brand tissue if that make sense
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 10:37 PM   #19
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I leave the 340 in the garage when it snows and actually when very cold because I have Pilot 4s tires and use the M5 with snow tires. We had snow and a few inches of ice build up last week and the M5 was great...tried to take the 340 to get my Dinan intake installed after the warm up and could not get it over the ice pack at the end of my driveway ...
2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 0