Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Can't seem to dry car (streaks everywhere)

09-09-2022, 09:27 PM   #1
tylers1027
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 330I

Can't seem to dry car (streaks everywhere)

I go through the drive through carwash (in apartment so can't wash at home) and having a heck of a time drying after with any of my large towels. Rather than the water just beading off, it's more like I'm smearing the water into the paint. I just recently clay bar and waxed the car and the water beads off when raining. It's just after the carwash it's like the water is sticking to the car. Any ideas? I just ordered the chemical guys after wash spray and going to give that a shot.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 03:44 AM   #2
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

I use Sonax microfibre drying cloth, and just dab it (no wiping).
Could it be that there is some chemical in the last rinse water?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 05:22 AM   #3
Frank_Zuccarini
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i xDrive

Could it be that your car wash applies a polymer coating as a last step, and THIS is what you are trying to towel off?

Frank
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 08:30 AM   #4
tylers1027
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking it was probably the carwash; I read those drive through ones use real harsh chemicals and recycled water. Gonna try to find a carwash bay where I do it myself and see the difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 02:21 PM   #5
Biggie335
BMW Power
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i XDrive

So up here in Canada, the touchless car washes do a lousy job of drying the car. I used to pop my leaf blower in my trunk and give it a second dose of air dry - it would take a max of 2-4 mins - and then wipe down with a dry microfibre towel. No streaks - note my cars were all PPF's front hood and fender and ceramic gold.

Thats for the days when I was too lazy to wash and dry at home and ofcourse during the good ol Canadian winters !
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 12:50 AM   #6
Schantin
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylers1027 View Post
I go through the drive through carwash (in apartment so can't wash at home) and having a heck of a time drying after with any of my large towels. Rather than the water just beading off, it's more like I'm smearing the water into the paint. I just recently clay bar and waxed the car and the water beads off when raining. It's just after the carwash it's like the water is sticking to the car. Any ideas? I just ordered the chemical guys after wash spray and going to give that a shot.
If you have "hard water" (i.e. lots if minerals in the water) in your area, it will do what you are saying. We have rotten water where I live and I usually end out drying the car and then wiping it down with McGuire's Quick detailer and a microfiber towel to get the "residue" off.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 10:01 AM   #7
tylers1027
Private First Class
Rep

Wanted to send an update I found a do it yourself carwash and did that today instead of the drive through automatic. Night and day difference! This one the water beaded right off and dried easily. No wax/streaks left behind. I'm thinking the rinse water at the auto wash is dirty/contaminated with recycled dirty water. So long story short; avoid the auto car wash!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 07:35 PM   #8
rmedina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylers1027 View Post
Wanted to send an update I found a do it yourself carwash and did that today instead of the drive through automatic. Night and day difference! This one the water beaded right off and dried easily. No wax/streaks left behind. I'm thinking the rinse water at the auto wash is dirty/contaminated with recycled dirty water. So long story short; avoid the auto car wash!
You are correct my friend.. Never use the car wash.
Appreciate 0