Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
So many minds blown right now lol!!! certainly not the big grilles many people were doubling down on but it's still a spy shot in camo .... really hoping this is closer to the final design though. Fingers crossed...
Should I add you to the list?
list of folks believing the large grilles? No. I never have believed it but I wouldn't put money on anything at this point and we could still get some big *** grilles. Who knows !?

List of potential buyers if it doesn't look horrible (regardless of grille size)? Yes. You can add me to that list. Although I still may migrate to track weapon and tow vehicle instead of the jack of all trades ... time will tell!
My list is for the people who still assert that the new 4/M3/M4 will not have large controversial grills, and who suggest with confidence that the cars will have something reminiscent of a G20 front end.
i definitely lean toward conservative ... just not buying all the "well so and so didn't dispute these ridiculous renderings based on blurry photos of the car in full camo" haha. we shall see! I don't claim to know the answer but am against people who "know for certain" what it'll look like.

Still hopeful it looks good, large or small.
For what it's worth, there are a few photos where you can pretty clearly see the grills, even underneath the mesh camouflage.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 03:19 PM   #178
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So many minds blown right now lol!!! certainly not the big grilles many people were doubling down on but it's still a spy shot in camo .... really hoping this is closer to the final design though. Fingers crossed...
Should I add you to the list?
list of folks believing the large grilles? No. I never have believed it but I wouldn't put money on anything at this point and we could still get some big *** grilles. Who knows !?

List of potential buyers if it doesn't look horrible (regardless of grille size)? Yes. You can add me to that list. Although I still may migrate to track weapon and tow vehicle instead of the jack of all trades ... time will tell!
My list is for the people who still assert that the new 4/M3/M4 will not have large controversial grills, and who suggest with confidence that the cars will have something reminiscent of a G20 front end.
i definitely lean toward conservative ... just not buying all the "well so and so didn't dispute these ridiculous renderings based on blurry photos of the car in full camo" haha. we shall see! I don't claim to know the answer but am against people who "know for certain" what it'll look like.

Still hopeful it looks good, large or small.
For what it's worth, there are a few photos where you can pretty clearly see the grills, even underneath the mesh camouflage.
Still hard to say if that's final tho you know? It's a mule still and the heavier camo'd bumpers do seem to be different than the newer photos ... I hope the newer suggestions are accurate but I'm still not placing any bets

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 03:21 PM   #179
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Still hard to say if that's final tho you know? It's a mule still and the heavier camo'd bumpers do seem to be different than the newer photos ... I hope the newer suggestions are accurate but I'm still not placing any bets
The final design was probably finalized like 2 years ago man, it's gonna happen lol. Got one or two insiders on the forum that have already seen and confirmed it. At least our questions will be mostly answered in 2 weeks or sooner.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 03:47 PM   #180
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
Quote:
The final design was probably finalized like 2 years ago man, it's gonna happen lol. Got one or two insiders on the forum that have already seen and confirmed it. At least our questions will be mostly answered in 2 weeks or sooner.
This is my perspective as well. The insiders that we have on this forum have credibility for a reason, and I really can't remember a time when SCOTT26, for example, has been wrong or way off base, and I've been on this forum about 13 years now. We've been warned by him multiple times, and even still we have non-believers.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2019, 04:14 PM   #181
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
BMW M is trolling everyone (I hope )
      08-31-2019, 04:52 PM   #182
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This is my perspective as well. The insiders that we have on this forum have credibility for a reason, and I really can't remember a time when SCOTT26, for example, has been wrong or way off base, and I've been on this forum about 13 years now. We've been warned by him multiple times, and even still we have non-believers.
It's not that I'm completely doubting either of you guys but I know how BMW gets down; they don't divert much from their current, going design language and no current BMW has a "Predator" grill, so I sincerely doubt the M4 will be an outlier.

I'm pretty sure I'm right and they just completely covered the design of the new M3/M4 because it's the crown jewel of their enthusiast line-up.

But if I'm wrong, I prefer water-based lube; it's all about the viscosity.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 04:55 PM   #183
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
It's not that I'm completely doubting either of you guys but I know how BMW gets down; they don't divert much from their current, going design language and no current BMW has a "Predator" grill, so I sincerely doubt the M4 will be an outlier.

I'm pretty sure I'm right and they just completely covered the design of the new M3/M4 because it's the crown jewel of their enthusiast line-up.

You are right in that they are using tricky cover ups and camo for the upcoming M3/4, but all signs are pointing to the big ol honkin grille. Nearly zero chance they'd put it on the regular 4er and not the M4.

It could be super risky though. On one hand, if you ruin the M3/4 and no one buys it, that is disastrous. On the other hand, it has such a strong name and history that people might buy it regardless, or be willing to accept a radical design.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 05:17 PM   #184
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Water based lube it is then. Get ready for that pounding.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9107.50
      08-31-2019, 05:19 PM   #185
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You are right in that they are using tricky cover ups and camo for the upcoming M3/4, but all signs are pointing to the big ol honkin grille. Nearly zero chance they'd put it on the regular 4er and not the M4.

It could be super risky though. On one hand, if you ruin the M3/4 and no one buys it, that is disastrous. On the other hand, it has such a strong name and history that people might buy it regardless, or be willing to accept a radical design.
SCOTT26 answered that very question/concern when I asked if BMW would go back to a traditional design if the large grilled cars don't sell well. It's understandable that BMW is trying to spearhead design and is responding to their own market analysis, but it is a risky endeavor to us. It's too late to go back now though. The big grilled 4/M3/M4 is already upon us.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 09:10 PM   #186
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Quote:
Hopefully "pure" doesn't mean you have less power, no tech options, etc. I really would like manual and selectable AWD with full power ...
I am fine with less power, less tech, and less weight, from a stripped down RWD/6MT sedan. I do think BMW should offer 6MT on an AWD model, but I highly doubt it would be the pure model, we shall see.
thing is ... the power is basically a tune so why lower it? That's annoying to me.

I think a stripper version (RWD, manual trans, manual seats!?, nice cloth seats, etc) should def be an option. I had a stripper '16 M3 I loved but if I had a little extra weight low down for option of AWD to have better all weather use (street or track), better launches (my 5 & 6yo love when I do "launch mode") etc I'd be all over it.

I think you should just be able to order the car a la carte. Pick your trans, pick M-AWD or RWD and then all the other stuff. All cars should be full 510hp or whatever they go with. Why is this so hard?
1. They don't think they should spend the resource to develop a manual that can handle it

2. You don't have enough traction without AWD already, why give you more power anyway...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 04:00 AM   #187
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

I beleave that Scott is right with his predictions! But the only thing, I don‘t understand is why also the M3 gets this design, if the only reason is to better distinguish the 4 series from the 3 series ... just because they have always done so, that the M3 share the front with the M3!?
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      09-01-2019, 06:44 AM   #188
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
You are too kind.
But I have been wrong on some things. The industry is a complex system. You can decide something on a Friday only to come in on Monday to have it all undone.
The landscape is forever changing especially with the shifting change to Electric which will define design and engineering into the future.
      09-01-2019, 09:26 AM   #189
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Quote:
You are too kind.
But I have been wrong on some things. The industry is a complex system. You can decide something on a Friday only to come in on Monday to have it all undone.
The landscape is forever changing especially with the shifting change to Electric which will define design and engineering into the future.
True, I see it many times when I do prototype for car industry.

I am surprised they didn't add 48V system
Sedan_Clan25204.00
      09-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #190
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
But the only thing, I don‘t understand is why also the M3 gets this design... just because they have always done so, that the M3 share the front with the M4!?
My guess is that the reason they’ve always done this is so that they only have to design and test the M engine cooling (and handle other frontal packaging considerations affected by the engine) once for all of the products that use it. Of course now with the X3/X4 M in the mix, there is another family using the engine, but you get my idea - and those two share their front clip too.

By contrast, in the 5/6/7/8 family of M products where margins are much greater, they feature more front end distinction.

Quote:
if the only reason is to better distinguish the 4 series from the 3 series
It would not only allow for that, but without those links to the M4, it would also mean that the M3 could hit the market as soon as right now. That would be big for both M Division and enthusiasts alike.

I definitely agree with you though, I wish they were treated more independently. This would also provide further motivation for an M4 GC - those who want the M4 look, front end and all, with four doors would be able to get it.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25204.00
      09-01-2019, 11:08 AM   #191
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Quote:
You are too kind.
That is true, but I haven't personally seen it. Maybe you were wrong about something I didn't care about (..or something much less of a hot topic), so I didn't follow or pay much attention to it. Lol!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 01:14 PM   #192
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

In the side profile of the grill area - the bottom grill sticking out farther forward relative to the top grill makes it look like a British Bulldog underbite.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25204.00
      09-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #193
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
I beleave that Scott is right with his predictions! But the only thing, I don‘t understand is why also the M3 gets this design, if the only reason is to better distinguish the 4 series from the 3 series ... just because they have always done so, that the M3 share the front with the M3!?
E90 M3 got the E92 M3 coupe front treatment and the F80 M3 got the F82 M4 coupe front treatment, why would the new M3 be different and not get the coupe front end treatment?
      09-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #194
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
In the side profile of the grill area - the bottom grill sticking out farther forward relative to the top grill makes it look like a British Bulldog underbite.
Yeah, that's some funky camo concealment. It's like they merged two bumpers together.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #195
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, that's some funky camo concealment. It's like they merged two bumpers together.
this is what made me think it might be smaller grilles tho ...looks like separate elements and is a newer mule from what I can tell, right? seems weird they would be going away from the final design but I also don't know how they decide what parts to bolt onto the mules ... maybe some old bumpers that were reject designs and just being used to collect bugs and stir up the forums? lol.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #196
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
this is what made me think it might be smaller grilles tho ...looks like separate elements and is a newer mule from what I can tell, right? seems weird they would be going away from the final design but I also don't know how they decide what parts to bolt onto the mules ... maybe some old bumpers that were reject designs and just being used to collect bugs and stir up the forums? lol.
That, or probably cooling/heating, clearance testing, etc.....but probably to stir us up. Lol! J/K! All the mules seem to be in various states of tune or designed for different purposes. Like the Ring mules. They seem to all have G20 bumpers.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 12:20 AM   #197
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Hmmmm... interesting... leaning more and more towards the G80 Each day 🤔
      09-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #198
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Cant wait to actually see this thing revealed. Something about a sports sedan just gives me the feels.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
Closed Thread