Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 2023 3 Series / M340i G20 LCI Reviews Are Here

09-22-2022, 02:19 AM   #23
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynNYBMW View Post
After reading some of these reviews and watching the youtube videos. Chances are I will be buying my current M340i xdrive at the end of the lease. Seems like the updated version is missing / not available a few features of my current 3. No power trunk, laser lights, heated rear seats, missing buttons for a/c, fan, temp and, toggle switch instead of a shifter. Even with these missing features the price is about the same as mine and I ordered Tanzanite
Maybe I am in the minority but I don't think the LCI makes it look more aggressive. I think it actually looks less so with some of the lines removed.
Also there isn't much upgrade in terms of power and handling. The new interior with the new instrument panel and toggle gear (not a fan) isn't enough to make me really want to get the newer version. I remember years back when BMW brought out the 7 and put the shifter on the steering column. A few years later with the following generation the shifter was back in the console. Maybe we will get lucky like that
Maybe when the all new version finally arrives in a few years that will peak my interest. Would like to hear what you guys and girls think
__________________________________________________ _________________________
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2021 M340i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except Adaptive M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. AKA Blue Angel
*Retired 04/30/21: 2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream
I'm in the same boat as you, as my 330i lease is up. I'm looking at the M340i LCI, and it pains me how certain features and options aren't there. Having said that, I think I've convinced myself that no power passenger lumbar support and no rear heated seats isn't that bad.

Power trunk is there; it's apparently standard. Cars are even being built with the foot release again, at least in the M340i and up.

Laser Light is a bummer too, as I love seeing that embossed on my car. However, Laser Light is even gone on the new 7 and X7 LCI. On one of the BMW YouTube channel overviews of those, the host explains that the new Matrix LEDs no longer necessitate Laser Light or fog lights. And on those models, a subscription-based elevated lighting package will be available on ConnectedDrive in the future. I'm wondering if, whatever that is, will be subscribe-able on the 3 LCI.
Appreciate 2
      09-22-2022, 05:01 AM   #24
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
This LCI appears to be more of a step back than a step forward! The gear shifter knob, a/c buttons and shortcut buttons in the pre lci were all very functional and removing them just increases complexity with no real advantage; and that rear diffuser just looks weird.
Appreciate 8
AP2777.00
WWM3968.00
TruthOne1081.00
DavidXJ663.00
      09-22-2022, 07:33 AM   #25
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

BMW has been disappointing with its LCIs. The 8 series was a non event and this car is a major step backwards.
      09-22-2022, 07:46 AM   #26
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I believe BMW hit a sweet spot of cost and quality a generation back. I say that because we see more and more cost cutting measures creeping in. BMW has to grow its profits and there are only so many buyers in the space so down go the costs. Yes, the touchscreen/removal of buttons and lack of transmission options are cost cutting options only. There is no usability explanation outside of their marketing department.

I wouldn't be rewarding them with my money. Then again it's not like other manufacturers are doing much better. But there are options out there.
      09-22-2022, 07:58 AM   #27
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by prei1978 View Post
I don't understand why BMW removed the gear selector stalk. I have a G23 M440xi and an F54 JCW Clubman and in both cars, I drive manual and at low speeds in traffic, I tend to have one hand on the wheel and one hand on the gear selector to shift up and down. When driving on the limit I have both hands on the wheel and use the paddles for gear changes. I love it. It provides the best experience in all driving modes and no, I do not and will not drive my cars in full auto because the transmission never seems to do what I want it to do.

Of all changes in the cabin that is the most offensive to me. I can learn to live with climate control switches on the big screen, but there is no replacement for the functionality the gear selector lever gave me.
I think the answer is simple. This platform will also support the electric platform where this is less important. Saves them money overall and allows for a lot of component reuse.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 08:17 AM   #28
prei1978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i xDrive Conv.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprod View Post
I think the answer is simple. This platform will also support the electric platform where this is less important. Saves them money overall and allows for a lot of component reuse.
You're likely correct, but I see that as a customer hostile change. Even on the i4 they put the lever (for now) and it doesn't even have gears to change, so why not keep it in the ICE car, especially one that is billed as an M (lite) car?

Most people that don't care about driving and just want a luxury sedan will get the 330i/e or lower models. If someone has made the point of speccing up to the M340i it's a clear statement that they care about driving and are prepared to pay an extra for that. Just stop taking the ways we have to interact with our cars away from us.

Color me (very) annoyed.
Appreciate 4
AP2777.00
DavidXJ663.00
      09-22-2022, 08:22 AM   #29
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
You're likely correct, but I see that as a customer hostile change. Even on the i4 they put the lever (for now) and it doesn't even have gears to change, so why not keep it in the ICE car, especially one that is billed as an M (lite) car?

Most people that don't care about driving and just want a luxury sedan will get the 330i/e or lower models. If someone has made the point of speccing up to the M340i it's a clear statement that they care about driving and are prepared to pay an extra for that. Just stop taking the ways we have to interact with our cars away from us.

Color me (very) annoyed.
I agree. The fact that it is label M340 (emphasis on the M) means that it really should provide some lineage to that ethos.

Everything moving to software also means less chips needed 😉.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 08:43 AM   #30
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
BMW has been disappointing with its LCIs. The 8 series was a non event and this car is a major step backwards.
yup - COVID constraints definitely hit this cycle badly. No wonder they've extended the lifecycle and there's basically going to be an LCI2 in ~2024/5
Appreciate 1
WWM3968.00
      09-22-2022, 09:12 PM   #31
JCLBoston
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:

Color me (very) annoyed.
I agree. The fact that it is label M340 (emphasis on the M) means that it really should provide some lineage to that ethos.

Goes to show that BMW is acutely aware that the "M" in the non-true M's is mostly marketing and even they don't take them seriously .

Signed,
An X3 M40i driver :
      09-22-2022, 09:56 PM   #32
Max Caviar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC Tanzanite Blue

i fall asleep to those. that's a compliment btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
This guy does a pretty good job on reviews too:
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2022, 11:54 AM   #33
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Sat inside a new 2023 M340i. Liked the LCI changes a lot. Seats are more comfortable (More padded) and less park bench as in pre-LCI cars.

The showroom floor sample was manufactured in San Luis de Pitosi, Mexico plant.

I guess the M340i is no longer an exclusive Made in Germany trim.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 12:16 PM   #34
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Sat inside a new 2023 M340i. Liked the LCI changes a lot. Seats are more comfortable (More padded) and less park bench as in pre-LCI cars.

The M340i has been produced in Mexico almost from the very beginning.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

09-24-2022, 10:23 PM   #35
ham340
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post

I thought the seats were exactly the same as pre lci?
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2022, 02:25 PM   #36
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ham340 View Post
I thought the seats were exactly the same as pre lci?
They are.

09-25-2022, 04:35 PM   #37
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLBoston View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Color me (very) annoyed.

Goes to show that BMW is acutely aware that the "M" in the non-true M's is mostly marketing and even they don't take them seriously .

Signed,
An X3 M40i driver :
What?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 01:30 PM   #38
azeemkhanyz
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota

Help to buy car

I wanna buy a car. I search a lot of websites. But I still not satisfied. I live in USA NEW YORK. IF any body wants to help me kindly reply
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 02:19 PM   #39
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemkhanyz View Post
I wanna buy a car. I search a lot of websites. But I still not satisfied. I live in USA NEW YORK. IF any body wants to help me kindly reply
A lot of folks in New York use brokers.

09-29-2022, 03:24 PM   #40
Spacefish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
After reading some of these reviews and watching the youtube videos. Chances are I will be buying my current M340i xdrive at the end of the lease. Seems like the updated version is missing / not available a few features of my current 3. No power trunk, laser lights, heated rear seats, missing buttons for a/c, fan, temp and, toggle switch instead of a shifter. Even with these missing features the price is about the same as mine and I ordered Tanzanite
Maybe I am in the minority but I don't think the LCI makes it look more aggressive. I think it actually looks less so with some of the lines removed.
Also there isn't much upgrade in terms of power and handling. The new interior with the new instrument panel and toggle gear (not a fan) isn't enough to make me really want to get the newer version. I remember years back when BMW brought out the 7 and put the shifter on the steering column. A few years later with the following generation the shifter was back in the console. Maybe we will get lucky like that
Maybe when the all new version finally arrives in a few years that will peak my interest. Would like to hear what you guys and girls think
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2021 M340i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except Adaptive M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. AKA Blue Angel
*Retired 04/30/21: 2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream

I'm leaving an f31 for the LCI m340i and I am very sad to lose rear heated seats, comfort access/power trunk, and the hot/cold shifter knob. I can deal with the screen and the toggle (I think), but when it comes to the shifter, I was never a big manual guy.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2022, 11:32 PM   #41
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshyFishy1 View Post
Quote:

I'm leaving an f31 for the LCI m340i and I am very sad to lose rear heated seats, comfort access/power trunk, and the hot/cold shifter knob. I can deal with the screen and the toggle (I think), but when it comes to the shifter, I was never a big manual guy.
Hot cold shifter knob?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 10:18 AM   #42
Timurhan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW MSport 320i (G20)

Quote:

Color me (very) annoyed.
You are not quite right prei, re caring about driving! I have a new G20 320i, you know, the 'lesser' model? I do care about driving as much as most of the members here. It's just that I do not regard power and speed as essential ingredients for enjoyment. I simply wish to drive in a way that I savour the quality of drive and the technology surrounding me without speeding or rumbling while idling at traffic lights. Yes, a X40i is no doubt an exciting and great car but not owning one doesn't make me less of a driving enthusiast. Please less of looking down on those owning 'lesser' models...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 10:29 AM   #43
prei1978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i xDrive Conv.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timurhan View Post
You are not quite right prei, re caring about driving! I have a new G20 320i, you know, the 'lesser' model? I do care about driving as much as most of the members here. It's just that I do not regard power and speed as essential ingredients for enjoyment. I simply wish to drive in a way that I savour the quality of drive and the technology surrounding me without speeding or rumbling while idling at traffic lights. Yes, a X40i is no doubt an exciting and great car but not owning one doesn't make me less of a driving enthusiast. Please less of looking down on those owning 'lesser' models...
You're correct, not everybody that buys a 320i or a 330i is not a driving enthusiast and I did not mean to imply that. I have owned an E91 320d Touring in the past and certainly enjoyed driving it every bit even if it wasn't a performance model, and would happily consider a 330i (base engine here in the US) as a daily driver.

My point was more about if someone does not care that much about sportier driving but does want a luxury sedan, they are more likely to skip the M340i altogether and buy another model where they can have the same luxury and quality without spending the extra for the performance, thus if someone chose to spend the extra it shows a different set of priorities.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 11:29 AM   #44
Timurhan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW MSport 320i (G20)

Got your meaning prei1978. Thanks for clarifying. Yes, I agree on the 'sportier driving' angle :-) My sportier days are a little behind me, so comfort, and to a certain extend 'luxury' take priority now.
Appreciate 0