Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics problems with USB playback and music library

03-08-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

problems with USB playback and music library

Recently I had random issues playing mp3 files from USB stick (usb-c port in the armrest compartment).
I found out that the drive has failed (ok, it happens). So I used other pendive, this time plugged to the standard port near the cup holders.
I have used it before and it worked as charm.

The problem is that this time some folders are displayed as duplicate, some even 4 times. Every duplicated folder content look exactly the same, same files, all is working. But something is definitely not right.

Pendrive is freshly formatted, FAT32 as per users manual, on PC everything seems perfectly fine (no duplicated folders whatsoever). Already tried reformatting the stick, also the iDrive reset.

Anyone who had the same issue?

And another problem - when I am trying to copy the pendrive to the (empty) iDrive music library I have an error "not enough space to continue" after copying approx 10GB of files. But the overall capacity shows as 32GB. What may be going on? Any clues?
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post
Recently I had random issues playing mp3 files from USB stick (usb-c port in the armrest compartment).
I found out that the drive has failed (ok, it happens). So I used other pendive, this time plugged to the standard port near the cup holders.
I have used it before and it worked as charm.

The problem is that this time some folders are displayed as duplicate, some even 4 times. Every duplicated folder content look exactly the same, same files, all is working. But something is definitely not right.

Pendrive is freshly formatted, FAT32 as per users manual, on PC everything seems perfectly fine (no duplicated folders whatsoever). Already tried reformatting the stick, also the iDrive reset.

Anyone who had the same issue?

And another problem - when I am trying to copy the pendrive to the (empty) iDrive music library I have an error "not enough space to continue" after copying approx 10GB of files. But the overall capacity shows as 32GB. What may be going on? Any clues?
I have a similar problem on my M340i with 11.2019.55 software in it.
I had 1500 tracks on a USB stick from my previous car. I put it in my M340i and it worked fine. Except that the Personal Assistant had a fit and continually said that "I am preparing voice control for music search"
So I thought maybe too may tracks on the stick for it to cope with. I deleted about 1000 of my less frequently played track and put it back in the car. But the car thought all the deleted tracks were still there and displayed them. But wouldn't play them as of course they were deleted.
The on line manual says track info from the usb is copied into the car somewhere...and 128Gb is available for this storage. But it seems that the info isn't deleted when the track is deleted from the USB.
I later copied some tracks back onto the same USB that I had previously deleted them from. Now they are showing up duplicated.
So I think the car must recognise the unique ID of every USB drive which must also be copied off the stick into the car memory somewhere.

I've asked BMW about it, showed them, sent them a video of what happens...a month has gone by and nothing back yet.

In the meantime I deleted all my music off music collection and bought 2 new USB sticks. Frequent music on one stick I transfered to music collection. Less frequently played stuff I put on other stick. Everything now displays correctly, no duplicates. It took about a week for Personal Assistant to start working and be able to search and play music on both USB and music collection storage.
I put the old USB stick back in and it still displayed the missing and duplicate files. I've reformatted it and with nothing at all on it, the car still displayed the deleted folders and album art.
Definitely a bug in there somewhere. Hopefully BMW will confirm it or tell us how to delete the mysterious data that is transferred from the USB into the car
Another weird thing is that the manual says 128Gb is available for this track and folder info but only 32Gb for music collection storage. And the manual tells you how to delete music collection 33Gb storage but says zero on managing the other 128Gb of storage.
I guess minor problems but shouldn't happen.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #3
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Your theory seems legit, I've tried different USB stick with exactly the same folder structure and it works just fine.
But I am still unable to copy more than approx 10GB into the (empty) music storage space.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i DravitGrau / Cognac

I was able to transfer Music Collection (over 50 CD's) from F30 to G20 via USB drive.
I also have music from internet (MP3's) on a separate USB and was pleasantly surprise that iDrive offered to add music from USB to the Hard drive without erasing the existing stuff.
The problem is the USB drive near cup holders stopped reading USB at all, and the one in the armrest does not offer the option of saving to HD.
Does anybody seen this issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Have you tried to reboot the iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #6
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Would it erase everything?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 02:17 PM   #7
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

No. It's not a reset, just a restart. And in case of any iDrive issues it's the first thing to try.

Press the power button for about 30 sec until the screen goes blank. Then turn it on again an see if it helped.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #8
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, it did the trick, thanks a lot
Appreciate 0