Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board My local gun store is swamped

03-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #23
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
It doesn't take much to convince Americans into thinking they all need a concealed carry license - I also find it very alarming - and unnecessary to say the least. If not dumb.
Maybe you're ok with the crime rate in this country and a lot of it is violent crime.
The country's many prisons are overflowing with violent felons and democrats are doing their very best to try a let many of them out. They want open borders to allow easy access of thousands more on top of the home grown ones we have already and now Biden and the rest don’t want even real bad illegal aliens deported after they’ve served their reduced sentences.
I see you’re from Orlando and you have there about twice the national average of crimes including the violent type. So none of us gun owners who protect our families, our own lives and our property give a crap about your opinion. When these animals come calling on you or your family your last thoughts might be, I wish I had a firearm, boy was I dumb.
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/fl/orlando/crime
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 2
M3ZCPNYC575.50
paliknight2186.50
      03-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #24
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Ya not worried - but I will own a firearm for safety. Gotta get a safe and all that. Guns at home fine - guns in cars and on you daily a bit much

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #25
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Maybe you're ok with the crime rate in this country and a lot of it is violent crime....
So none of us gun owners who protect our families, our own lives and our property give a crap about your opinion. When these animals come calling on you or your family your last thoughts might be, I wish I had a firearm, boy was I dumb.
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/fl/orlando/crime
Or you could move your family to a safe place, like the People's Republic of Brooklyn.
We got rid of those Macho-boy toys, & now are soo safe.

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 03-20-2020 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #26
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Always love listening to the drama queens who walk across a crosswalk each and every day in front of all those drivers with nothing but a foot on the brake to keep that car from running them down dead on the spot and think nothing of it.

But as soon as you give that same person a gun they become a homicidal maniac.

But who's paranoid again?
      03-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #27
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Ya not worried - but I will own a firearm for safety. Gotta get a safe and all that. Guns at home fine - guns in cars and on you daily a bit much
Next time a skel tries to rape someone in your family maybe she can tell them “time out, we have to move this to my house so I can defend myself”.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      03-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #28
adc100
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
I will be the first to say that 90% of folks that carry concealed are not very well trained even to the extent that they don't know what situation they could handle. The fact is that the likely scenario is that a crime with a gun occurs close to them. The likely correct response would be to take cover. After that your actions would be dictated by what you are able to handle.

I carry when I am going to a restaurant where I will be sitting down. I'll carry on a trip. I don't carry in a grocery store.

Your basic untrained John Wayne (even if he/she goes to the range) will be carrying 14+ rounds and an extra magazine. There is no way in hell they are trained to fire off that number of rounds.

I don't totally disagree with your opinion. But again Americans have that right.
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
paliknight2186.50
      03-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #29
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

no need for a gun.

If someone tries to break into my house i'm throwing water over my face, soaking my shirt, and coughing in their face when I open the door. "sorry i'm self quarantining and have Covid, are you with the health dept sir?"

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 4
      03-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #30
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
How unsafe are you guys' cities that you need a gun to feel safe when grabbing dinner or you carry "in case someone i know gets raped"?

That's just excessive, don't you think?
Appreciate 3
Littlebear3508.50
kanovic456.00
minn1913970.00
      03-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #31
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
How unsafe are you guys' cities that you need a gun to feel safe when grabbing dinner or you carry "in case someone i know gets raped"?

its a bit out of proportion I think. but then again I've never lived in a crime infested area like Chicago or east st. louis. In most rural Missouri towns everyone gets along fine... if there is even 1 murder its headline news. most of my neighbors are very neighborly and help people out.

oh well. its at least getting people to spend and put money back into the economy.

my buddy down the street hasn't left his house in over a week. has a shotty and pistol, 2nd bullet being an FMJ because he wants to make sure they get taken out if they run behind the door.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
      03-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #32
adc100
Banned
Rep

Quote:

You live in one of the most dangerous cities in the world. If a law abiding citizen can't carry there he/she shouldn't bother carrying anywhere....Oh wait..generally a citizen has a legal problem carrying in IL.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 06:00 PM   #33
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:

I think a lot of us where I live know that pretty much everyone is carrying.....so unless you're plain stupid or desperate enough...no one is going to risk it.

Our sheriff made national news encouraging citizens to carry lawfully as he said their response time may not be quick enough if needed.

However I do think that if you are even just going to own one... much less carry, you should still go through the classes. And if you intend to carry, you should put your time in at the range after the classroom.

As mentioned previously, you wouldn't notice most people that carry as it isn't something you want to advertise to everyone else.
      03-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #34
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I think a lot of us where I live know that pretty much everyone is carrying.....
Most everyone where I live isn't carrying. So we just yell at each other in that way New Yorkers are so good at.
We do have some nice dogs, though.

Murf
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-20-2020, 06:32 PM   #35
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Yeah. I'm in a little more rural place than Brooklyn although my mother and her whole family was born and raised there. They moved to SC when she was 18.

Where I live, if there were to be a home invasion....you have no one but yourself to rely on as it's pretty sparse and spread out.

But we have New York and New England transplants down here that spent all their lives there. A Job would open down here, and with the crazy difference in cost of living, they make out pretty good.

Funny thing is a lot of them are more hardcore about guns than some of us are. My friend from Boston I work with has more than I do.
      03-20-2020, 08:29 PM   #36
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
The projection of attitudes and life experiences on gun owners by many anti-gun people is sad. The number of households where there is at least one gun is in the range of 40%. With that many Americans owning guns there will be Rambos - and peaceniks. Idiots who can't control their temper - and respected scholars who never raise their voice. There will be Americans of all stripe, age, race and financial strata.

To project personality traits onto gun owners the way some are doing in this thread is similar to those who project personality traits on BMW owners. They all drive like jerks. Too fast. Compensating for a small willy. Etc.

Instead of trying to find fault with someone who believes they have both a right and responsibility to assure their own safety from violent attack maybe consider we don't all live in a safe haven of love and peace. Many victims of violent crime become avid owners of guns. Many former wives/girlfriends of dangerous ex spouses are glad to have some ability to protect themselves. It isn't as black and white as some would believe.
Appreciate 6
Nuckle2186.00
lakefront560.50
minn1913970.00
Logicoeur988.00
      03-20-2020, 11:12 PM   #37
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
The projection of attitudes and life experiences on gun owners by many anti-gun people is sad. The number of households where there is at least one gun is in the range of 40%. With that many Americans owning guns there will be Rambos - and peaceniks. Idiots who can't control their temper - and respected scholars who never raise their voice. There will be Americans of all stripe, age, race and financial strata.

To project personality traits onto gun owners the way some are doing in this thread is similar to those who project personality traits on BMW owners. They all drive like jerks. Too fast. Compensating for a small willy. Etc.

Instead of trying to find fault with someone who believes they have both a right and responsibility to assure their own safety from violent attack maybe consider we don't all live in a safe haven of love and peace. Many victims of violent crime become avid owners of guns. Many former wives/girlfriends of dangerous ex spouses are glad to have some ability to protect themselves. It isn't as black and white as some would believe.
Very well said sir!
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2020, 12:27 AM   #38
skydiver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f30 335i

My friend works at a gun shop in a suburb here in Dallas. On a normal Monday they do about $8,000 in sales. This past Monday they did $44,000. Line is out the door and they're only letting 3-5 people in at a time. If you don't have a license to carry permit, NICS is so backed up that you're looking at a 25-30 day wait to get approved.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 02:17 AM   #39
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
A guy I know went to buy a new gun this week. He got one, but they were out of .45 ACP. So he went to another store and they were out. I told him he could make bang bang noises and throw it at them.
      03-21-2020, 02:41 AM   #40
AZ1
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeasty View Post
I heard gun and ammo sales were up. People fighting over toilet paper and bottled water. In the midst of people panicking and overreacting I have also seen numerous acts of kindness. Calamities bring out the worst and the best in people. I'm a respiratory therapist so I'm on the front line of the Corona madness.......
A Walmart here had police in the toilet paper isle when they restocked
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 05:37 AM   #41
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
The projection of attitudes and life experiences on gun owners by many anti-gun people is sad....
This is just fine, but if you are going to sell, own & use guns, pls control your habit so it is less dangerous to others.
And we do have laws to help the wives/girlfriends who have machostupid ex's.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...53&postcount=9

Or you could get a big dog & train it well.

Murf
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      03-21-2020, 08:27 AM   #42
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
I’m not even talking about concealed carry. I believe if you have a legitimate need for concealed carry than you should. Personally I think open carry is a much better way of things....I feel like much less crime would happen if you saw half the law abiding citizens in an establishment bolstering a weapon.

But beyond that, I think all Americans should or should want to own a gun for home protection. I live in a great neighborhood with low crime rates but that doesn’t mean there aren’t exceptions to the circumstances. God forbid someone enter my home who shouldn’t be entering it and is here to steal or cause harm to us, I want to make sure I did everything in my power to protect my family.

I don’t know why that would be viewed as maniacal or “wrong”.
      03-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #43
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
This is just fine, but if you are going to sell, own & use guns, pls control your habit so it is less dangerous to others.
And we do have laws to help the wives/girlfriends who have machostupid ex's.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...53&postcount=9

Or you could get a big dog & train it well.

Murf
I agree. Owning a gun is a responsibility as I posted. And owning a big dog is also a responsibility. Difference being it can go off by itself. Guns are inanimate objects. I do get angry when I read about parents of small children that don't keep firearms out of reach and kids are hurt.

As to laws to help protect women from violent stalkers? When their emotional ex is crashing through the front door or approaching them in a parking lot laws won't help. The law simply sorts out the aftermath and sometimes punishes offenders. A firearm can force the attacker to leave or in worst case let him be the one injured or killed.

Also curious why the link. Blaming Ohio for NJs violent criminals is a faulty meme. If all America suddenly adopted NJs laws then the guns would come from Mexico or wherever. Criminals don't care and drugs are proof that we can not stop a black market. Borders mean little when there is a violent group of criminal people intent on obtaining the tools to commit violence. All more laws do is disarm those who won't go to illegal channels to obtain defense against that violent group.

I don't "like" guns. But most of the gun laws passed now simply take the guns from honest citizens while leaving the violent criminals armed. The criminals are not impacted by the law. Otherwise why would so many areas with the tightest laws still have some of the higher murder rates?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #44
adc100
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
Personally I think open carry is a much better way of things...
If an ugly situation crops up you will be the first shot.
Open carry is dumb except for hiking.
Appreciate 0