Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes X3M F97 brakes on G20 / front axle. Brembo 4 piston calipers with 395mm ///M discs.

08-17-2020, 10:48 AM   #1
blau3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 30d

X3M F97 brakes on G20 / front axle. Brembo 4 piston calipers with 395mm ///M discs.

I recently bought a full set of F97 X3m brakes to sell on, however I thought it might be of use to share this info incase anyone is looking to go for a [relatively speaking] cheap BBK kit made entirely of OEM parts.

What you see here are a set of Brembo 4 pot calipers in 395mm variation with ///M compound brake pads of the ///M pin drive semi-floating discs.

I have a G20 hub as I have previously used it verify other brake fitment options, so I popped the calipers and discs on to see what was what. The good news is that its effectively a plug and play set up. It all lined up perfectly, with the calipers bolting down without any interference from the knuckle. The discs fit on the hub and there are no issues with alignment, except for the disc retaining screw, which must be different on the F97 hub.

Essentially this could be a pretty good set up for G series owners, as its not just the G20 that this would work on. M compound pads and discs coupled with the far superior looking 395mm caliper body is a winner!

Pics:

Pad sweep identical to OEM fitment on X3m.

The only known issue; brake disc retaining screw does not line up

Perfectly seated on G20 hub, no issues with CB or PCD alignment

Fitment detail

G20 hub for reference

Not much meat left on the hub to facilitate re-drill for disc retaining screw

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 06:41 AM   #2
kyungmin1983
South Korea
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Hello

I have prepare a similar tune as you did it.
In my case, I have x3m40i maybe same wheel hub with g20.

So I bought x3m f97 brake set(rotor, caliper, dustplate) and will try next month.

In this case I have a question, how did you drill extend retainer hole? Do you have a drilled hole data (center of hole location info, radious from center of rotor, whole diameter and so on.)?

Ps. If you have design file for modified hole location, could you share it?

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by kyungmin1983; 05-28-2021 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Addon image
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 07:38 AM   #3
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive, 2023 M3CX

Cool, but don't you have to also upgrade the brake booster andm aster cylinder for this to properly function as an upgrade?