Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) BMW Comments on Future of DTM Series After Mercedes Exit

09-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #23
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooper View Post
I get you, I'm no fan of wrong-wheel-drive either, but unfortunately there is only a very select few manufacturers left still doing RWD.

Besides, if the golden years of 90s BTCC is anything to go by, if the regulations are spot on, it can make for some extremely exciting racing regardless of whether the field has FWD, RWD or AWD entries. I have no idea if you've ever watched footage of that timeframe of BTCC, but if you haven't, I beg of you to go watch some youtube footage of it and report back.
In my opinion, it was by far the best racing years of any racing category in recent memory. At the time, it was massively popular as it had what all racing fans truly want: very close racing, a wide variety of entrants and manufacturers, and crashes. Lots and lots of crashes.

EDIT: A good place to start
That was such fun to watch - loved it.... had the PS one game (wish I still had it). Crazy drivers, I think it was Tarquini that rolled the Alfa....

Yes I would watch that all day.... shall be clicking the link!
      09-12-2017, 01:41 AM   #24
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Front wheel driven cars are not a desired racing platform on a mega competitive TV market. Probably just my shitty opinion but I would never tune in for a frontwheel drive race. Never! Did you just purchase a Merc or something?
I get you, I'm no fan of wrong-wheel-drive either, but unfortunately there is only a very select few manufacturers left still doing RWD.

Besides, if the golden years of 90s BTCC is anything to go by, if the regulations are spot on, it can make for some extremely exciting racing regardless of whether the field has FWD, RWD or AWD entries. I have no idea if you've ever watched footage of that timeframe of BTCC, but if you haven't, I beg of you to go watch some youtube footage of it and report back.
In my opinion, it was by far the best racing years of any racing category in recent memory. At the time, it was massively popular as it had what all racing fans truly want: very close racing, a wide variety of entrants and manufacturers, and crashes. Lots and lots of crashes.

EDIT: A good place to start
Thanx for the reply. I have watched some BTCC and I am a fan of touring cars. Front wheel drive just kills the excitement for me because it's harder to lose it staying on the gas. It's to safe for televised racing but that's just my opinion. All and all I really hope that DTM grows from these changes. I mean, let's not forget BMW left for a while and DTM didn't die. So if DTM died off the loss of Mercedes I would be furious. There's plenty of European car manufacturers to drawl from but I hope they look to the rest of the world for a new partner or two. What could be any cooler than the introductory of a North American brand? The Euros can hate on it and cheer against it and the North Americans can get involved. Some new tracks could be introduced in place of stale Euro tracks oooooorrrrr more races to a season with a NA cars and tracks. Win win!
      09-12-2017, 01:47 AM   #25
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

End the boring spec racing.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 09:46 PM   #26
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Yes, like DTM used to be. It's just German NASCAR the way it is now. There is nothing about a DTM car that even begins to resemble a road car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
End the boring spec racing.
Exactly. DTM is boring spec racing pretty much the same as NASCAR. Although I will state watching DTM is a bit more enjoyable since they're not chasing each other in an oval.

I DVR DTM races (mainly due to air times) ... but for the most part it's background noise. I'll poke my head up and watch a few laps just to see who's leading and how the pack is running. Most of the time it's the midfield that's the most exciting (like recent F1). Since I don't ever record NASCAR ... it's basically quick drive-by's to see how the pack is running during the commercials of whatever other program I'm actually interested in. So pretty much the same thing as DTM

Frankly I wish both would go back to what they used to be about ... modified stock cars racing.
Appreciate 0