Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Pre LCI vs LCI M340i questions

03-04-2023, 10:36 AM   #45
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxXHD View Post
So is nobody allowed to like idrive 8? So it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I get that. That’s all that needed to be said to OP here. Drive with each for yourself and see how they like it. They are both different and subjective, and it would be best to try out both before making a decision.

That’s my advice to OP. Who cares what it looks like in pictures or what others who may or may not have driven with either or both. Get in the car, and test drive them out. Why this isn’t the default answer to these things is crazy.

The person above me did that and didn’t like idrive 8, and that’s okay. I did that as well and liked idrive 8, and that’s okay. That proves the subjectivity part of this and there is no point in further talking about it when all you can do is try it out for yourself and make that decision for yourself.
Yeah iDrive 8 doesn’t bother me because every car is like this at this point. I just made this post originally to ask what I should expect once my order is ready because I like knowing the quirks and features before getting a new car. Made a mistake thinking people would say yes or no only.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 11:39 AM   #46
X7 Recruit
out driving
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X7, 997.2, Mini Cab, M440i Cab

Quote:
So is nobody allowed to like idrive 8? So it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I get that. That’s all that needed to be said to OP here. Drive with each for yourself and see how they like it. They are both different and subjective, and it would be best to try out both before making a decision.

That’s my advice to OP. Who cares what it looks like in pictures or what others who may or may not have driven with either or both. Get in the car, and test drive them out. Why this isn’t the default answer to these things is crazy.

The person above me did that and didn’t like idrive 8, and that’s okay. I did that as well and liked idrive 8, and that’s okay. That proves the subjectivity part of this and there is no point in further talking about it when all you can do is try it out for yourself and make that decision for yourself.
While I understand that it's frustrating to have to trawl through all the back and forth, there are a lot of people who either don't have the chance to get in the car and drive it, or the time, or (even if they do) don't have a multi-day test drive to go through all the minutiae of the various menus.

I bought my X7 40d after only a short test drive in a 50d, and I bought my M440i based purely on what I read here, Youtube videos, and so on. In fact I haven't driven any BMW car, ever! - just my X7, my 1974 R60/6, and my 2001 R1150RT. But I know they make good cars and motorcycles, and if everyone on the internet (as in, everyone), says it's a good car then I guess it's going to be at least ok.

So, to your rhetorical "who cares what it looks like or what others think" question, I guess it's clear that there are those of us who do, in fact, make (hopefully well-informed) decisions based on what other people say.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 12:47 PM   #47
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by humisfum View Post
Yeah iDrive 8 doesn’t bother me because every car is like this at this point. I just made this post originally to ask what I should expect once my order is ready because I like knowing the quirks and features before getting a new car. Made a mistake thinking people would say yes or no only.
It’s a hot topic. People look for validation in their thoughts. It’s the internet. For idrive 8 there are more people on here that hate it than love it, for now anyway. Doesn’t mean it’s bad, just means it’s subjective.

The original idrive was horrible and slow. CCC was slow and people slammed it, which CIC corrected. NBT was new and people complained how it looked like it was a screen placed on top. NBT evo was more of the same. People liked idrive 7, but hated the digital gauge cluster that came with it and people were upset their analog gauges were gone. Now idrive 8 is just more of the same. Can’t please everyone.
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2023, 01:29 PM   #48
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It’s a hot topic. People look for validation in their thoughts. It’s the internet. For idrive 8 there are more people on here that hate it than love it, for now anyway. Doesn’t mean it’s bad, just means it’s subjective.

The original idrive was horrible and slow. CCC was slow and people slammed it, which CIC corrected. NBT was new and people complained how it looked like it was a screen placed on top. NBT evo was more of the same. People liked idrive 7, but hated the digital gauge cluster that came with it and people were upset their analog gauges were gone. Now idrive 8 is just more of the same. Can’t please everyone.
Oh wow I totally forgot about the furor over the gauge clusters in iDrive 7. Honestly I disliked it a lot too but BMW has a history of improving controversial new design additions a few years afterwards. I trusted it would look better later and imo iDrive 8 does have a cleaner look (again I barely care since my build has a HUD)
Appreciate 1
madpistol1744.50
      03-04-2023, 01:35 PM   #49
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
iDrive 8 is going to have better software support and is a more versatile system than iDrive 7. No doubt about it.

However, I've gotten used to the physical controls of iDrive 7, and I would have to retrain myself to use iDrive 8. Unless I was forced into it, I would not want to do that for the sake of progress.

For reference, I had a '23 M3 Competition on order for about 6 months. I knew full well that it was going to have iDrive 8, and I was completely ok with it. A few months into that wait, I got impatient and instead ordered a '22 M440i GC. I'm glad I did; the M440i GC is a better fit for me personally. It came with iDrive 7 which I was already used to from my '21 M340i lease car.

BUT....

If that '22 M440i GC had come with iDrive 8, I would have taken it happily. It's not a deal breaker by any means. In fact, it's really cool. My biggest concern is by removing the physical controls, BMW has made the interface more distracting. That's not good design, IMO. But to each their own.
      03-04-2023, 06:25 PM   #50
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post
My biggest concern is by removing the physical controls, BMW has made the interface more distracting. That's not good design, IMO. But to each their own.
For what it’s worth, it was way overblown, the climate menu issue. Generally I’ve found you barely need to touch it, and when you do, it’s a quick tap or two up or down on the temperature. That’s said…..if you are one to be picky about temperature and struggle finding an ideal temp, I can see the issue.
Appreciate 1
madpistol1744.50
      03-04-2023, 07:46 PM   #51
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
For what it’s worth, it was way overblown, the climate menu issue. Generally I’ve found you barely need to touch it, and when you do, it’s a quick tap or two up or down on the temperature. That’s said…..if you are one to be picky about temperature and struggle finding an ideal temp, I can see the issue.
Someone here I think said voice commands like “my butt is cold” apparently are spot on? This is actually going to be my first bmw with the new hey bmw feature. Unless it is absolutely horrible I will probably use that.
That does remind me of one somewhat annoying omission in the LCI: still no cooled seating in 2023. Oh well I still prefer the 3 series to the c class.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 08:28 PM   #52
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
IMO, the dashboard in the pre-Lci looks a lot better. The display screens are integrated into the dashboard and you get that ‘cockpit’ feeling sitting in the drivers seat. The tack-on screen in the Lci looks like an afterthought. I think BMW could have done a much better job of this, I mean if you look at the new X1, that is a much better execution;

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Q9Cbw&usqp=CAU

Additionally, removing the gear shifter, physical a/c and memory buttons (which I regularly use) is more of a step back as it adds complexity to basic functionality.

Don’t mind the exterior changes except for the rear diffuser, but overall, to me the pre-lci has a more aggressive look

https://youtu.be/mTeR9QE1Y7s
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2023, 10:15 AM   #53
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Removing the gear shifter does not add more complexity. It’s still an electronic shifter but the joystick was replaced with a nub.
Appreciate 1
madpistol1744.50
      03-05-2023, 10:26 AM   #54
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
Removing the gear shifter does not add more complexity. It’s still an electronic shifter but the joystick was replaced with a nub.
Yeah being annoyed about the gear shift sounds like a little too much. I can get the outrage at only allowing automatics for the non base M3 3 series but that’s just looking for annoyances at that point. Upon looking at it more I think over time I’ll probably like that because in my old 340 I remember I’d have issues on the road trying to grab my water bottle all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 10:37 AM   #55
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I think it’s pretty easy to figure out with just a little bit of using your brain that the removal of the gear selector isn’t the main thing he is referring to.
Yeah but when you mention the gear selector specifically as adding complexity when it really doesn’t, I’ll still call it out. Even if it’s not the mAiN tHiNg he is referring to. 🫠
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 10:43 AM   #56
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
I think it’s pretty easy to figure out with just a little bit of using your brain that the removal of the gear selector isn’t the main thing he is referring to.

Quote:
Yeah being annoyed about the gear shift sounds like a little too much. I can get the outrage at only allowing automatics for the non base M3 3 series but that’s just looking for annoyances at that point. Upon looking at it more I think over time I’ll probably like that because in my old 340 I remember I’d have issues on the road trying to grab my water bottle all the time.
Are you aware of how the gear selector could be used? It could be popped over to the left to easily and immediately change the shifting of the transmission to a more sporty character (different from choosing the sport mode with the button. I do it fairly regularly driving in Chicago traffic to improve quick acceleration to move past slow pokes.) and it could be used to shift the transmission like it was a manual for those who enjoy that physical interaction with the car.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-05-2023 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
peelerec987.50
      03-05-2023, 10:58 AM   #57
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you aware of how the gear selector could be used? It could be popped over to the left to easily and immediately change the shifting of the transmission to a more sporty character (different from choosing the sport mode with the button. I do it fairly regularly driving in Chicago traffic to improve quick acceleration to move past slow pokes.)
Toggling the knob shifter one more down in D switches it to S mode, the equivalent of slapping the shifter to the left with the previous selector.

But yes, the loss of an ability to shift with the shifter is disappointing. That said, I'd rather use S mode than full manual mode.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2023, 11:23 AM   #58
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah I used to go into sport mode that way too and I admit it probably is way more satisfying than shifting the nub down once again but hey the functionality is all there.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 12:09 PM   #59
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
From the G80 forum. So long A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffer View Post
I jumped in my car to go pick up dinner and my iDrive screen just said "BMW" across the middle. I had turned my A/C off earlier in the day for a quick drive with the windows down, and now I can't turn it back on.

I get an "emergency call system malfunction" error on my dashboard, which is ironically the same issue I had in my 440i years ago. That was due to faulty seal after some body work on my roof/shark fin area caused water to burn out the emergency call thing.

So now I have no music, no GPS, no backup camera, no A/C, and some sensors like the speed limit reader, etc. I can't change the content on my center console, either.

I tried holding the volume/power knob for 1 minute, letting it sit for an hour, turning the car on and off, tried searching around... but with this error message, I'm expecting a trip to the dealer for my 1500 mile car. I literally just got it back from the break-in service and my wife and I both need our cars for trips tomorrow morning.

Looks like I'll be driving with no A/C or music for a bit until I can get it addressed.

03-05-2023, 12:18 PM   #60
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Toggling the knob shifter one more down in D switches it to S mode, the equivalent of slapping the shifter to the left with the previous selector.

But yes, the loss of an ability to shift with the shifter is disappointing. That said, I'd rather use S mode than full manual mode.
This.

Pre-LCI: To put into park, press the P button.
LCI: To put into park, press the P button.

Pre-LCI: To shift into reverse, hold release button and push lever forward.
LCI: To shift into reverse, push toggle forward.

Pre-LCI: To shift into drive, hold release button and pull lever rearward.
LCI: To shift into drive, pull toggle rearward.

Pre-LCI: To put transmission into Sport mode, push lever to the left.
LCI: To put transmission into Sport mode, pull toggle rearward once more when it’s already in Drive mode.

Super simple in both pre-LCI and LCI models.
Appreciate 1
TheMaxXHD641.00
      03-05-2023, 12:30 PM   #61
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbu View Post
The future looks weird!
No one one will choose the pre-LCI M340i over the LCI. Ever!
Next you'll tell us all what our favorite food is.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 12:33 PM   #62
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From the G80 forum. So long A/C.
That M cluster looks amazing. Wish we got something that cool in the M340i
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 02:47 PM   #63
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

The most expensive car ever by BMW gets iDrive... Err... Let me think... 8? Err... Ah yes 7

Buttons cost a lot a lot of money
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2023, 02:53 PM   #64
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep

This thread has become a venting session for everyone who hates idrive 8 omg y’all calm down, you can still enjoy all 6 cylinders regardless of the screen size or buttons
Appreciate 2
TheMaxXHD641.00
madpistol1744.50
      03-05-2023, 03:07 PM   #65
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This thread has become a venting session for everyone who hates idrive 8 omg y’all calm down, you can still enjoy all 6 cylinders regardless of the screen size or buttons
Not really. What it really became was all the iDrive 8 aficionados claiming it is the best iDrive since sliced bread and then falling over themselves trying to defend it when other folks came along and pointed out it isn’t.

btw, as you mentioned in your initial post, I also use the blue and red temperature control wheel regularly and I’m about to move into a 2020 M340i and I’m very sad I’m not going to have it anymore. Now, in iDrive 7, I’ll have to go into a menu to make that change if I want it badly enough to bother, rather than just reach up and turn a little wheel, and that is a design failure by BMW.

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-05-2023 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 03:57 PM   #66
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Not really. What it really became was all the iDrive 8 aficionados claiming it is the best iDrive since sliced bread and then falling over themselves trying to defend it when other folks came along and pointed out it isn’t.

btw, as you mentioned in your initial post, I also use the blue and red temperature control wheel regularly and I’m about to move into a 2020 M340i and I’m very sad I’m not going to have it anymore. Now, in iDrive 7, I’ll have to go into a menu to make that change if I want it badly enough to bother, rather than just reach up and turn a little wheel, and that is a design failure by BMW.
Oh what that was removed in the 2020 one?? I thought the LCI removed it. I think you’ll probably be fine because in all honesty if we can say “hey bmw it’s getting too cold” and it increases the temperature a couple degrees I’ll tolerate that too. I think the shared goal among most people is having a way to change something with the least resistance so that will suffice.
Appreciate 0