Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Pre LCI vs LCI M340i questions

03-05-2023, 04:14 PM   #67
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by humisfum View Post
Oh what that was removed in the 2020 one?? I thought the LCI removed it. I think you’ll probably be fine because in all honesty if we can say “hey bmw it’s getting too cold” and it increases the temperature a couple degrees I’ll tolerate that too. I think the shared goal among most people is having a way to change something with the least resistance so that will suffice.
Yes, it was removed from the G20 from the very beginning. One of the nice things about the wheel adjustment was that if you were running the heat, you could have cooler air from the upper vents and warmer air from the floor vents and you could easily adjust the upper vent temperature. Saying “hey BMW” won’t do that.
Attached Images

member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

03-05-2023, 04:57 PM   #68
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Yes, it was removed from the G20 from the very beginning. One of the nice things about the wheel adjustment was that if you were running the heat, you could have cooler air from the upper vents and warmer air from the floor vents and you could easily adjust the upper vent temperature. Saying “hey BMW” won’t do that.
Hmm can you make a shortcut to that menu so that you can do it from the controller dial? I’d probably make that a shortcut so I can flip to it every time. Honestly if there was just a climate button on that controller none of this would be problematic for me. Instead there’s a map and Nav button which if you use your phone for is so unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 04:58 PM   #69
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

Quote:
Not really. What it really became was all the iDrive 8 aficionados claiming it is the best iDrive since sliced bread and then falling over themselves trying to defend it when other folks came along and pointed out it isn’t.
Sigh. This happens every idrive release.

I find idrive 8 is better. Not everyone is going to like it and think it’s better.

Are you calling me stupid for thinking that? What a wonderful way to greet new people into the community by saying their idrive system sucks and their opinion doesn’t matter.
Appreciate 1
Geo_FF140.00
      03-05-2023, 05:02 PM   #70
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm can you make a shortcut to that menu so that you can do it from the controller dial? I’d probably make that a shortcut so I can flip to it every time. Honestly if there was just a climate button on that controller none of this would be problematic for me. Instead there’s a map and Nav button which if you use your phone for is so unnecessary.
Nope. Not sure why you can’t, design flaw for sure. That said, while you can technically use the controller to navigate the climate menu once in it, I wouldn’t recommend it, it’s clunky and touch ends up being easier at that point, atleast that was what I kinda found.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 05:07 PM   #71
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxXHD View Post
Nope. Not sure why you can’t, design flaw for sure. That said, while you can technically use the controller to navigate the climate menu once in it, I wouldn’t recommend it, it’s clunky and touch ends up being easier at that point, atleast that was what I kinda found.
Yeah the problem with screen for me isn’t number of screen clicks but rather having to wave my hand across a however many inch screen and look constantly to make sure my finger is over the right button. I had hoped the controller takes away that gripe but who knows maybe they make an update
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 05:14 PM   #72
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the problem with screen for me isn’t number of screen clicks but rather having to wave my hand across a however many inch screen and look constantly to make sure my finger is over the right button. I had hoped the controller takes away that gripe but who knows maybe they make an update
Like I said before, auto climate generally works really well and you will only be tapping the + or - button on the temp bar which is always there. Even that is not a super common action. Very rarely do I need to go into the full menu as well. Unless you are super sensitive to temperature and struggle to get a comfortable temperature in cars, in which case you may struggle a bit, I think you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 07:32 PM   #73
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
wait. i never knew what this is for. so you get the temperature to hot and the floor and windscreen gets hot air and you use this to adjust the passenger body air vent temperature?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 08:30 PM   #74
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
wait. i never knew what this is for. so you get the temperature to hot and the floor and windscreen gets hot air and you use this to adjust the passenger body air vent temperature?
Yeah you can set the upper temp cooler or hotter. It doesn’t change overall cabin temp however. You can set cabin temp but then adjust the upper body as needed. I use it every time I leave the gym for example.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-05-2023, 10:53 PM   #75
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sigh. This happens every idrive release.

I find idrive 8 is better. Not everyone is going to like it and think it’s better.

Are you calling me stupid for thinking that? What a wonderful way to greet new people into the community by saying their idrive system sucks and their opinion doesn’t matter.
I didn’t say that. Those are words you chose.

I’ve been very active on these forums for seventeen years and I recall very little bitching and moaning about each improved iDrive system. Mainly because each new iteration has improved upon the previous iteration. Folks are not complaining all that much about iDrive 8 itself. Though I have read media reports that have complained about how it operates and saying it’s not really an improvement. https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2022/07...n1nSNUs1-YdrG6

Mostly folks who are complaining are complaining about all the stuff that got moved into iDrive 8 that should have been left alone. It’s pretty universally regarded that iDrive 8 has the most vibrant and colorful display of any iDrive yet. And then there are folks like me who care about design who are complaining about a huge, stuck on iPad with no attempt at design at all. When the Chevrolet Bolt EV has a dashboard with actual design and the BMW 3 Series does not that is something worth complaining about.

I’ll tell you how I’m going to welcome you to the forum going forward. I’m going to add you to my “ignore” list, because I’m tired of reading your weird logic and your propensity to accuse people of saying things they didn’t say. And yes, I just said you are weird. There were five people on my ignore list. You’re number six. Good bye.
Attached Images

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-05-2023 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-05-2023, 11:48 PM   #76
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My apologies for getting too hot. Never meant that. It is just frustrating, that some of us idrive 8 peeps keep getting shouted down. I say I don’t mind the climate controls, gets met with a negative reaction by 3 times as many people here, saying the controls are dumb and why would anyone like it. I don’t mind the screen integration (or lack thereof), gets met with a negative reaction saying it doesn’t make any sense and looks dumb. I don’t mind discussion and debate. People will disagree ofc, but I continuously feel belittled. Such as when you said “What it really became was all the iDrive 8 aficionados claiming it is the best iDrive since sliced bread and then falling over themselves trying to defend it when other folks came along and pointed out it isn’t.”

I can only say my experiences, my experiences have been positive thus far. Perfect, no. But I like it. It is not for everyone, but it would be nice if atleast my experiences could not be belittled. Thank you and I again apologize for any grievances or misunderstanding.

Last edited by TheMaxXHD; 03-05-2023 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 08:21 AM   #77
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

Quote:
My apologies for getting too hot. Never meant that. It is just frustrating, that some of us idrive 8 peeps keep getting shouted down. I say I don’t mind the climate controls, gets met with a negative reaction by 3 times as many people here, saying the controls are dumb and why would anyone like it. I don’t mind the screen integration (or lack thereof), gets met with a negative reaction saying it doesn’t make any sense and looks dumb. I don’t mind discussion and debate. People will disagree ofc, but I continuously feel belittled. Such as when you said “What it really became was all the iDrive 8 aficionados claiming it is the best iDrive since sliced bread and then falling over themselves trying to defend it when other folks came along and pointed out it isn’t.”

I can only say my experiences, my experiences have been positive thus far. Perfect, no. But I like it. It is not for everyone, but it would be nice if atleast my experiences could not be belittled. Thank you and I again apologize for any grievances or misunderstanding.
I think an long ipad tacked on as an afterthought looks like crap, no matter how brilliant the screen. Obviously that's my opinion.

I don't want to drive a computer, I want a drivers car. Which is why I bought a BMW. I doubt you ever see a tacked on ipad in a Ferrari, Bentley or Porsche.

I literally will drive that Chevy Bolt before I ever own a BMW with a tacky ipad for a dash.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2023, 09:46 AM   #78
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
I think an long ipad tacked on as an afterthought looks like crap, no matter how brilliant the screen. Obviously that's my opinion.

I don't want to drive a computer, I want a drivers car. Which is why I bought a BMW. I doubt you ever see a tacked on ipad in a Ferrari, Bentley or Porsche.

I literally will drive that Chevy Bolt before I ever own a BMW with a tacky ipad for a dash.
Word. I mean real talk the Chevy bolt is one of the only EVs I’d probably buy because its surprisingly loaded with great features and good range for daily commute.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I do feel strange how some of us equate no screens with a drivers car. But you do you. If money were no object I’m sure all of us would get Porsches too. But the Taycan also has similar displays.. just not molded as square. Displays are coming to every car so I’d recommend just be happy about how the cars you drive are still fun, not how the infotainment systems work.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 12:16 PM   #79
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Word. I mean real talk the Chevy bolt is one of the only EVs I’d probably buy because its surprisingly loaded with great features and good range for daily commute.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I do feel strange how some of us equate no screens with a drivers car. But you do you. If money were no object I’m sure all of us would get Porsches too. But the Taycan also has similar displays.. just not molded as square. Displays are coming to every car so I’d recommend just be happy about how the cars you drive are still fun, not how the infotainment systems work.
I haven’t seen a single post saying no screens at all. Pretty much everyone is comfortable that screens have been in cars for many years and they have become a permanent fixture. The issue is implementation. How the screens are implemented has everything to do with whether a car is a good driver’s car.

I don’t like that Porsche is using a touchscreen for climate control.
Attached Images

03-06-2023, 12:20 PM   #80
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I haven’t seen a single post saying no screens at all. Pretty much everyone is comfortable that screens have been in cars for many years and they have become a permanent fixture. The issue is implementation. How the screens are implemented has everything to do with whether a car is a good driver’s car.

I don’t like that Porsche is using a touchscreen for climate control, but at least they dedicated an entire screen to mainly that one function and you don’t have to go into a menu to access the climate controls.
Yeah that’s fair. The Volkswagen companies all have a neater implementation. For me when I first saw the iPad like scenes as Ugly Kar mentioned I was more grossed out by the bezel size and you can tell that’s where they’re going to go next.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 12:24 PM   #81
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Audi is also moving to tablets on dashboards with their next-gen MMI.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/07/20...est-spy-shots/
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 11:32 PM   #82
DL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
This.

Pre-LCI: To put into park, press the P button.
LCI: To put into park, press the P button.

Pre-LCI: To shift into reverse, hold release button and push lever forward.
LCI: To shift into reverse, push toggle forward.

Pre-LCI: To shift into drive, hold release button and pull lever rearward.
LCI: To shift into drive, pull toggle rearward.

Pre-LCI: To put transmission into Sport mode, push lever to the left.
LCI: To put transmission into Sport mode, pull toggle rearward once more when it’s already in Drive mode.

Super simple in both pre-LCI and LCI models.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 09:04 AM   #83
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
The most expensive car ever by BMW gets iDrive... Err... Let me think... 8? Err... Ah yes 7

Buttons cost a lot a lot of money
No. Screens cost way more money.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 12:25 PM   #84
iulianm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

I think the auto function of the climate control on G20 works great (at least for me) and I keep it on 72F all year and never changed anything in it in almost 3 years (never got windows to fog up or similar stuff) so I don't care that the controls are moved to the screen.

One thing I do use however is the programmable 8 buttons but I also won't miss them much.

I do like more the new digital dash on LCI as I found the current implementation to be sort of an information overload.
Name:  IMG-4954.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  402.8 KB
As a comparison, my other car has the same features but does a much better presentation.
Name:  675f3fe446bab1296b55bebf12154d3f.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  274.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 10:29 AM   #85
RLL RACER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWM8TurnerM6(2)M3's(1)Bavaria

The LCI Car and its after thought messy touch screen, should have never been approved. I tried i drive 9 and its adds more frustration and ugly interior looks to a great looking G20 body design. The good news is bmw is going back to pre lci looks in 2025. I applaud that!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 12:29 PM   #86
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLL RACER View Post
The LCI Car and its after thought messy touch screen, should have never been approved. I tried i drive 9 and its adds more frustration and ugly interior looks to a great looking G20 body design. The good news is bmw is going back to pre lci looks in 2025. I applaud that!
Wait iDrive 9 is available already??
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 01:46 PM   #87
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Got a link to that information? That would be wonderful!!

03-26-2023, 02:09 PM   #88
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Are u saying 2025 G20 will not get the dual displays? Will the analog gauges be offered again?
Appreciate 0