Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Bought a used m340i xdrive

08-27-2021, 04:56 PM   #1
denius
Rep
Drives: bmw m340i xdrive

Bought a used m340i xdrive

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So I bought a m340i xdrive with 17k miles, didn't find any issues with it and was loving it at first but then I noticed it was making a ringing/chirping noise at all times when on gas pedal, and the noise is more prominent when in comfort and accelerating relatively fast .

Took it to two BMW dealers since I obviously still have warranty on it, and one said they test drove another model which did the same noise, and said this was normal.
Other dealer/shop foreman test drove with me, checked some things out and said everything was normal and that this could be a turbo noise. I reiterated to him that this does not sound like a turbo noise

So, I would like to just test drive another m340i out there in the Tri-state area if anybody is willing to just tell me or let me test out if other models are doing the same sound and get to the bottom of it as I don't think the sound I am hearing should be normal even if it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 07:03 PM   #2
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denius View Post
So I bought a m340i xdrive with 17k miles, didn't find any issues with it and was loving it at first but then I noticed it was making a ringing/chirping noise at all times when on gas pedal, and the noise is more prominent when in comfort and accelerating relatively fast .

Took it to two BMW dealers since I obviously still have warranty on it, and one said they test drove another model which did the same noise, and said this was normal.
Other dealer/shop foreman test drove with me, checked some things out and said everything was normal and that this could be a turbo noise. I reiterated to him that this does not sound like a turbo noise

So, I would like to just test drive another m340i out there in the Tri-state area if anybody is willing to just tell me or let me test out if other models are doing the same sound and get to the bottom of it as I don't think the sound I am hearing should be normal even if it is.
There's an entire thread about this. Looks like you're not alone.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 10:22 PM   #3
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

Congratulations on your Cpo m340! Smart purchase / saved at least 20k I imagine vs getting new (65k)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 12:42 PM   #4
denius
Rep

Also would like to hear a m340 with MPE in person if anyone in the area has one that would be awesome as well, but want to sort this noise thing out more importantly
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 11:29 AM   #5
denius
Rep

bump, please guys this is an issue plagued by many m340i models, I am sure some people have noticed it on theirs. This is unacceptable noise to be "normal" for a car of this price and caliber.

I've tried getting it fixxed at 3 different service centers and they bring in another m340 which does the same thing and say its normal and will not go further.

Even though I told them I can bring them a model in person that does not make the noise at all which is a 2021 m340 xdrive that I was in at an Independent shop
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 04:00 PM   #6
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
bump, please guys this is an issue plagued by many m340i models, I am sure some people have noticed it on theirs. This is unacceptable noise to be "normal" for a car of this price and caliber.

I've tried getting it fixxed at 3 different service centers and they bring in another m340 which does the same thing and say its normal and will not go further.

Even though I told them I can bring them a model in person that does not make the noise at all which is a 2021 m340 xdrive that I was in at an Independent shop
I have a 2021 M340i xDrive without this issue (though I'm aware of a thread where others are reporting this); I wonder if this problem affects a specific year and/or model
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #7
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I also have a '21 and have not noticed this issue. I think the only main difference engine-wise between the '20 and '21 is the mild hybrid system.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #8
denius
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
I have a 2021 M340i xDrive without this issue (though I'm aware of a thread where others are reporting this); I wonder if this problem affects a specific year and/or model
From my understanding looking into it, it does seem that way. Just really frustrated with this noise, it just sounds like a bird or cricket in the engine or something.

Inde shop said same thing one of the mechanics had a 2021 and no noise. They said the noise seems to be coming from high pressure fuel pump/turbocharger area. Allthough to me, it doesn't seem like any of those things going by the noise. It sounds almost like a diff noise so more likely to be pulley, belt, tensionor, bearing, something of that sort because it gets more rapid is you accelerate and a little louder.

I will keep pursuing it because it drives me absolutely nuts as the car is perfect otherwise.

There are a few high quality youtube videos of the 2020 POV drives where you can hear it on light and steady acceleration. That's why I think this is a 2020 model problem

Last edited by denius; 11-23-2021 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: wanted to add something and didn't want to post again
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #9
denius
Rep

Just wondering my next course of action, I would love to know exactly what the issue is and I would spend my money on it once just to fix it once and for all but I don't want to go replacing stuff and not fix the issue. If the 2021 models don't do it and the 2020s do when the only difference between them is the mild hybrid system then there has to be something I can do to fix it, or make a dealer fix it. But they won't listen. Don't know what to do : /
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 08:11 PM   #10
justbananas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

What gas are you putting in it?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 09:23 PM   #11
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just wondering my next course of action, I would love to know exactly what the issue is and I would spend my money on it once just to fix it once and for all but I don't want to go replacing stuff and not fix the issue. If the 2021 models don't do it and the 2020s do when the only difference between them is the mild hybrid system then there has to be something I can do to fix it, or make a dealer fix it. But they won't listen. Don't know what to do : /
Have your SA or Service Manager reach out to the factory rep - that's how I'd approach it. The engineers who built the car might have a better answer for you. If it bugs you that much you could trade it in - I'm sure your dealer will be happy to work something out.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 11:34 PM   #12
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles View Post
Congratulations on your Cpo m340! Smart purchase / saved at least 20k I imagine vs getting new (65k)
+1, doubt he saved $20K in this market though.

I am at 20,500 miles and have no idea what you guys are talking about. This has been one of the best BMWs so far but I won't buy one used at all.

Hopefully factory warranty & CPO should cover whatever OPs actual problem is.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 12:22 AM   #13
denius
Rep

Quote:
Have your SA or Service Manager reach out to the factory rep - that's how I'd approach it. The engineers who built the car might have a better answer for you. If it bugs you that much you could trade it in - I'm sure your dealer will be happy to work something out.
I will try that. don't want to trade it in just want to fix the issue if possible. Would be nice if someone has had the experience on here of having the issue and fixing it so we could know exactly what it is. Again, the Inde shop said it sounds to be coming from High pressure fuel pump/turbocharger area but to me sounds more like a pulley, belt, tensioner type noise.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 08:21 AM   #14
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles View Post
+1, doubt he saved $20K in this market though.

I am at 20,500 miles and have no idea what you guys are talking about. This has been one of the best BMWs so far but I won't buy one used at all.

Hopefully factory warranty & CPO should cover whatever OPs actual problem is.
Same! No clue what this noise is and I've been in my 2020 since 8/2019. Love the car.
Appreciate 1
TTG931.50
      11-25-2021, 10:25 AM   #15
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will try that. don't want to trade it in just want to fix the issue if possible. Would be nice if someone has had the experience on here of having the issue and fixing it so we could know exactly what it is. Again, the Inde shop said it sounds to be coming from High pressure fuel pump/turbocharger area but to me sounds more like a pulley, belt, tensioner type noise.

Thanks
I might suggest to check the main thread where this is heavily discussed to see if anyone has reported any success. You should find the thread by a quick search.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 09:48 PM   #16
denius
Rep

Quote:
I might suggest to check the main thread where this is heavily discussed to see if anyone has reported any success. You should find the thread by a quick search.
I've tried, Cannot find a thread that is exactly pertaining to my issue
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 09:51 PM   #17
denius
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Same! No clue what this noise is and I've been in my 2020 since 8/2019. Love the car.

This HQ video if you have headphones especially and turn volume up you can easily hear the noise from timestamp

2:50-2:55

I made a comment as well.
This is the exact noise I am talking about, Always hearing it when pressing throttle and mostly low rpms just a constant chirping/ringing noise of some sort.

Loving the car as well aside from this sound
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:03 AM   #18
RKT SHP
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

Am I the only one thats not hearing anything in that video. Not saying its not there, I am just not hearing it.

Quote:

This HQ video if you have headphones especially and turn volume up you can easily hear the noise from timestamp

2:50-2:55

I made a comment as well.
This is the exact noise I am talking about, Always hearing it when pressing throttle and mostly low rpms just a constant chirping/ringing noise of some sort.

Loving the car as well aside from this sound
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:13 AM   #19
denius
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKT SHP View Post
Am I the only one thats not hearing anything in that video. Not saying its not there, I am just not hearing it.
As I said, would be better heard with headphones and max volume on pc, listen at around 2:45-2:55 when accelerating from stop or slow speed. Very noticeable, distinct sound that I have not heard probably any vehicle make while accelerating. I can hear it very easily in that video in that time frame. On phone or something it would be harder to hear obviously
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #20
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKT SHP View Post
As I said, would be better heard with headphones and max volume on pc, listen at around 2:45-2:55 when accelerating from stop or slow speed. Very noticeable, distinct sound that I have not heard probably any vehicle make while accelerating. I can hear it very easily in that video in that time frame. On phone or something it would be harder to hear obviously
He has turn signal on and is clicking the climate control buttons. There is no way you're hearing anything unusual there unless you're interpreting those noises as this mystery noise. Anyway sorry if you're having a strange noise issue, most of us don't seem to have it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 10:05 AM   #21
RLL RACER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWM8TurnerM6(2)M3's(1)Bavaria

It is seeming more and more evident, that the 2019-21 m340's are plagued with all kinds of odd gremlins, from the several hundred posts over this time frame. I do not see anywhere near as many for the 330i of this time frame.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 10:10 AM   #22
denius
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
He has turn signal on and is clicking the climate control buttons. There is no way you're hearing anything unusual there unless you're interpreting those noises as this mystery noise. Anyway sorry if you're having a strange noise issue, most of us don't seem to have it.
I don't know what to say. or You don't have headphones so you aren't hearing correctly. Again I have not heard ANY car make this noise ever, of any car and i have been in many cars. I am not talking about him clicking the climate control, I am talking about the chirping/cricketing sound when on throttle, when the car is stand still it is quiet, when it is coasting, it is quiett, when on throttle, there is a sound that is outside of engine, exhaust, turbo noise, that is not a pleasant sound. It is not a hard sound to hear, Accelerate in ANY other performance, luxury, or even regular car it doesnt matter, you will not hear this type of noise. my service managers and shop foremans said they hear the noise but it is supposedly normal. Again, I am not talking about the clicking off the climate control or the turn signal, lol.... On my computer, on MAX volume, youtube and pc volume, and the same noise in my vehicle, I hear the sound very very clearly, when pressing throttle. If you can't hear it, I don't know what to really say, I hear it very very clearly

Last edited by denius; 11-29-2021 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0