Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum What's the order process like?

09-29-2020, 01:25 AM   #1
ajvuitton
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i

What's the order process like?

Hello everyone!

I'm a little new to this forum, so please accept my apologies in advance if my question has already been answered.

I'm interested in ordering a G22 but am a little nervous to pull the trigger. I've never special ordered before and have always been lucky with my dealer's stock. Thus, I have no idea what the order process is like. My dealer made it seem like I just give them the specs I want and that's it.

But is that really it? Did you have to pay a deposit? Did you negotiate the deal before you ordered? Are dealers less willing to negotiate on a lease with a special ordered car? Is there anything you wish you would have known about the process that you think a rookie should know about?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:23 AM   #2
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

1. Hang around here enough and click on enough random threads and you'll get a pretty good feel for what the order process can be like. People drop hints, comments, stories, anecdotes, etc in random threads all the time. In short - it depends. It can be great most of the time from what I've seen though.

2. Deposits vary and often depends on lease vs purchase, plus prior history with the dealership. Best deals are when it's your 3rd, 4th, 5th lease with the same dealer it seems, but special order vs on the lot doesn't seem to matter as much as long as you're willing to wait for an allocation.

3. Yes, pretty much everyone negotiates prior to ordering. Target discounts are about 8-10% off MSRP but with the G22 it's new enough we just don't have much data - expect to pay 0-5% off MSRP probably. I think only 2 other members so far in California have ordered a G22.

4. Regarding specs - yes, you can go on the configurator and build out whatever you want, it generates a code, you give that build code to the dealer. HOWEVER. While I haven't seen the list yet, a common enough thing to do with special orders is get port-installed accessories, which are parts like rear lip spoilers, carbon fiber mirror caps, etc. By adding these to your order you'll save a decent chunk of change both in materials and labor vs buying them later and having your local dealer install them, so if you already know you want certain parts it's worth it to just add them when you place the order. Again though, I haven't seen the list come out yet for the G22. I'm waiting on that (and a couple other personal life things) before I pull the trigger on an order.
Appreciate 2
      09-29-2020, 03:19 AM   #3
Smiller155
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 430i

Garage List
2021 BMW 430i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvuitton View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm interested in ordering a G22 but am a little nervous to pull the trigger. I've never special ordered before and have always been lucky with my dealer's stock. Thus, I have no idea what the order process is like. My dealer made it seem like I just give them the specs I want and that's it..

Thanks in advance!
Most dealers will let you order without a deposit but some require it, especially if you are new to BMW. Nothing wrong with a $500 deposit as long as its refundable. Best to negotiate the deal before you order. I ALWAYS order mine as I rarely see a car on the lot that is optioned the way I like it.

And if you want the new G22, you'll be waiting until December before you'll see more than one or two on the lot. It takes about 2 months from order to delivery so you could have ordered one just the way you like it instead of purchasing one that some sales manager ordered. Note that they are ordering a car that they believe will sell fast (typically one that looks good but with few options) or one that they think they can charge a premium for (special colors & options). Most BMW's on a dealer lot will have black interior since they *think* that's what most buyers want (which I'm not sure I agree since I despise black interiors).

Here's how to order...

1) Go to: https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-own.html#/series and configure the car you want with all the options that are important to you.

2) Once you get a build you are happy with, print out and bring to your dealer or an auto broker (there are several on this website) and negotiate a purchase or lease.

3) The dealer or broker via dealer will order the car and within a day or so, they should be able to provide a production order.

4) Once you have the production order #, you can set up an account on BMW.com and track the status of your build. Or, for more up-to-date info, you can call the BMW Genius # (1.844.4GENIUS or 443-6487) and they'll give you more accurate info until your car is on a boat.

5) Once they tell you what boat you are on, you can track it from port to port (more info in this thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=623141)

6) Once it arrives, you go to the dealer and sign docs and drive home your new ride.

Note: If you change your mind, you do not have to take delivery of your car (unless you special order paint which costs $5k) and they will sell it on their lot.
Appreciate 3
      09-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

I agree with what the others before offered.

Find a dealer you are comfortable with and talk with them. Do they have an allocation? Maybe one they’ve already ordered for inventory that can still be changed to meet your specs? That’s what I did. I changed up about half the specs and when they changed the order to a sold car the computer moved production of that unit up by three weeks.

After you get it specked out, and even if you lease, negotiate price by percentage off of the MSRP. You be able to negotiate between 6-10% off right now but maybe little more in the spring after they’ve been out a while.

Most dealers I know will want a small deposit. All three in my market wanted $500 but it’s actually refundable so no big deal. I understand because you may be wanting to order something that is not necessarily an easy sell in your market if you back out, so they want you really be committed to “your” car.

I ordered mine on 8/1, the factory accepted the order on 8/22, the VIN was assigned on 9/3 and it entered production on 9/11. It was shipped by rail on 9/16 to the port where it arrived on 9/18 and is now awaiting a ship to Baltimore which should be this week. I expect to be driving it by late October.

It appears that any MPerformance parts or accessories will not be available to order until mid October 24th which is the “official” launch date. I’m hoping they pop up sooner so I can order a few items to install myself.

Good luck with the purchase.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
ajvuitton
Rep

Thank you for all of this information! All of this is super helpful!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #6
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
I agree with what the others before offered.

Find a dealer you are comfortable with and talk with them. Do they have an allocation? Maybe one they’ve already ordered for inventory that can still be changed to meet your specs? That’s what I did. I changed up about half the specs and when they changed the order to a sold car the computer moved production of that unit up by three weeks.

After you get it specked out, and even if you lease, negotiate price by percentage off of the MSRP. You be able to negotiate between 6-10% off right now but maybe little more in the spring after they’ve been out a while.

Most dealers I know will want a small deposit. All three in my market wanted $500 but it’s actually refundable so no big deal. I understand because you may be wanting to order something that is not necessarily an easy sell in your market if you back out, so they want you really be committed to “your” car.

I ordered mine on 8/1, the factory accepted the order on 8/22, the VIN was assigned on 9/3 and it entered production on 9/11. It was shipped by rail on 9/16 to the port where it arrived on 9/18 and is now awaiting a ship to Baltimore which should be this week. I expect to be driving it by late October.

It appears that any MPerformance parts or accessories will not be available to order until mid October 24th which is the “official” launch date. I’m hoping they pop up sooner so I can order a few items to install myself.

Good luck with the purchase.
I'm definitely skipping the front canards, but I want the rear spoiler, mirror caps, and maybe the shark fin at least. Definitely interested in seeing if a completely blacked out grill comes out, after you commented on how the surround gets blacked out but the diamond things don't I took a closer look. It's almost tempting to just rattle-can it at that point...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 12:34 PM   #7
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep

The extended shadow line grill has the black surround but apparently keeps the shiny cerium nuggets. The MPerformance grill appears to be glossy black with no cerium nuggets, and it has a CF surround. Probably a little pricey.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvuitton View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm a little new to this forum, so please accept my apologies in advance if my question has already been answered.

I'm interested in ordering a G22 but am a little nervous to pull the trigger. I've never special ordered before and have always been lucky with my dealer's stock. Thus, I have no idea what the order process is like. My dealer made it seem like I just give them the specs I want and that's it.

But is that really it? Did you have to pay a deposit? Did you negotiate the deal before you ordered? Are dealers less willing to negotiate on a lease with a special ordered car? Is there anything you wish you would have known about the process that you think a rookie should know about?

Thanks in advance!

this is what I suggest.

1. goto BMW website and build out your exact spec and get the build number/code
2. give your build code to your dealer that you want to work with. They can do a quick vehicle search and see if your specs are available on a lot somewhere else and they can dealer trade for you. If not you will have to order.
3. before you order go over pricing and get everything in writing. If the numbers look good, place the order.
4. Lock in programing with your dealer. lock in is 90 days for west coast dealers and 60 days for east coast dealers. You have to take delivery of the car within your locked time in order for you to pick which months programs work best for you. (credit app will be run)
5. order placed.
6. MAKE SURE YOU GET A PRODUCTION NUMBER, otherwise your dealer doesn't' have a allocation. No allocation no build.
7. once car starts production you are looking at 6-8 weeks till you get.

any other questions or quotes feel free to shoot my guy Jimmy Miller an email jmiller@stevethomasbmw.com he is super helpful and dials in all the forums members for us

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 2
      09-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #9
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep

Great advice. Good to have the pros around.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #10
ajvuitton
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
this is what I suggest.

1. goto BMW website and build out your exact spec and get the build number/code
2. give your build code to your dealer that you want to work with. They can do a quick vehicle search and see if your specs are available on a lot somewhere else and they can dealer trade for you. If not you will have to order.
3. before you order go over pricing and get everything in writing. If the numbers look good, place the order.
4. Lock in programing with your dealer. lock in is 90 days for west coast dealers and 60 days for east coast dealers. You have to take delivery of the car within your locked time in order for you to pick which months programs work best for you. (credit app will be run)
5. order placed.
6. MAKE SURE YOU GET A PRODUCTION NUMBER, otherwise your dealer doesn't' have a allocation. No allocation no build.
7. once car starts production you are looking at 6-8 weeks till you get.

any other questions or quotes feel free to shoot my guy Jimmy Miller an email jmiller@stevethomasbmw.com he is super helpful and dials in all the forums members for us
That's super helpful! Thank you for the advice. I REALLY appreciate all of this information. I feel way more informed about this process.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10716.50