Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Carbahn vs Mission Performance 2020 m340i tune

02-23-2024, 02:00 PM   #1
Myth
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Carbahn vs Mission Performance 2020 m340i tune

I was debating between getting a carbahn or mission performance tune for my 2020 m340i. The only other mod I have as of now is an exhaust. Which tune is better in terms of power and reliability?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 02:24 PM   #2
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

So with those two items as your criteria - it would be mission for the W. Both would be considered highly "reliable" but in terms of "performance" mission would be the clear leader. Especially with their new app that supports 91,93,E30 and includes a transmission tune

mission also has an unlock tool to offer.

I run mission and am a fan, both are fine products but based on what you have shared I think the scales would tip in missions favor
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 02:28 PM   #3
Myth
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
So with those two items as your criteria - it would be mission for the W. Both would be considered highly "reliable" but in terms of "performance" mission would be the clear leader. Especially with their new app that supports 91,93,E30 and includes a transmission tune

mission also has an unlock tool to offer.

I run mission and am a fan, both are fine products but based on what you have shared I think the scales would tip in missions favor
Reliability wise would it be any different from stock? Like would it cause any difference to the lifespan of an engine? Would I still be able to drive over 100k miles etc. any differences in the long run?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 11:46 PM   #4
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M340iX

Garage List
I was on Carbahn for a little over two years. Performance-wise, I wouldn't even bother considering it. Well, unless you want to remain nearly stock and never touch anything else. Then it could be a good option. But if you want flexibility, better performance, etc, then go with Mission or one of the others. I went with MHD myself and I'm very happy with it. And I like the Mission unlocker tool. That's a good deal on its own. My local shop charges $350 and they still haven't figured out how to do it without opening the box.

Also, one thing I really didn't like was the occasional sudden increase in power when it wasn't expected. Weird, right? I was pumping straight 91 at the time. And sometimes, very rarely, it would wake up and very unexpectedly launch harder than it usually would. That's not what I call a good tune. Good tunes should give repeatable performance. That shit was just wacky and made driving feel a bit unpredictable. And when you're driving in the canyons, you need to know wtf is going to happen when you hit the accelerator. Since I've been on MHD almost a year now, no issues like that have cropped up. Not even once.

One other thing I'll mention since you brought up longevity... when you start playing, you will pay. Maybe sooner, maybe later. But you will. So that's on you. No one can tell you your engine will last to 100k without incident, especially when you tune. But, with very good maintenance practices, using the right products, keeping an eye on logs and what-not, doing other types of maintenance and just staying on top of things, you will have a much better shot of hitting 100k+. I'm currently sitting at 56k and change. Oil analysis is very good as of last oil change. I do those almost every oil change because I'm a goddamn nerd. Eventually I expect to build the motor a bit. Cams, rods, bearings, pistons, bored and sleeved, etc. But that will be when I get above 100k and it becomes a weekend car. For now, I'm just having fun blasting around on E40. And to date, no issues.

The car, btw, has been tuned since it had roughly 4300 miles on the clock. So that's nearly 52k tuned miles.

But, I digress... Anyway. That's my take. Hope it helps. Good luck with whatever you wind up going with.
Appreciate 1
Myth2.00
      02-24-2024, 10:56 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth View Post
I was debating between getting a carbahn or mission performance tune for my 2020 m340i. The only other mod I have as of now is an exhaust. Which tune is better in terms of power and reliability?
Both are reliable
I'm unfamiliar with mission performance maps, but carbahn maps are very conservative from what I have seen, so mission performance will probably offer more power.

As far as reliability, they should both be equally reliable.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Myth2.00